I know this is jook territory but...

Moderators: Irish Mike, shutout, Jabbroni

1.rampart » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:16 am

was listening to the new Marilyn Manson album and was thinking how his music is so much better than the gimmick. I’ll admit not giving his music a chance for a long time because I thought he was just for angst ridden 90’s goth kids, and others still think he’s Satan. Don’t think he will ever get the credit he deserves.

So, who else fits the “never get they’re due” mold...besides candlebox, obviously

2.9508 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:55 am

Obviously the hard rock maestro Pat Boone
9508 (Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn)

User avatar 3.Jabbroni » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:57 am

Snatch Magnet.
Jabbs (Stink/Stank/Stunk)

4.rampart » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:01 am

Obviously the hard rock maestro Pat Boone
Second post... new record

5.9508 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:01 am

Thin crowd tonight.

User avatar 6.RIP » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:07 am

The Deftones.
yt

7.9508 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:12 am

Gandhi n Roses

8.rampart » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:21 am

The Deftones.
That fits, I’ve known about them since middle school but still haven’t gotten around to giving them a chance.

I used Manson as an example because I’ve just recently come around to realizing how versatile his catalogue actually is. However, if I had to pick one band/artist that is criminally less famous than they should have been it’s got to be Faith No More. They’re music is brilliant, as is pretty much anything mike Patton is involved with, but FNM was the perfect blend of creativity and accessibility.

9.rampart » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:24 am

Gandhi n Roses

Fuck you :lol:

And I’ll raise you a guns n crows’es. This shit actually got radio play

User avatar 10.Jabbroni » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:28 am

The Deftones.
That fits, I’ve known about them since middle school but still haven’t gotten around to giving them a chance.

I used Manson as an example because I’ve just recently come around to realizing how versatile his catalogue actually is. However, if I had to pick one band/artist that is criminally less famous than they should have been it’s got to be Faith No More. They’re music is brilliant, as is pretty much anything mike Patton is involved with, but FNM was the perfect blend of creativity and accessibility.
That's a solid choice. Faith No More is bad ass.

11.rampart » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:35 am

The Deftones.

:numby: angel dust might be my favorite album of all time

User avatar 12.MoralityULack » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:47 am

Most musicians. There are people in Austin that play in a bar for tips at happy hour that could curb stomp... humiliate Clapton.

But for some great shows that stand out from people that you might know that never made it as big as I think they should have Bobby Whitlock & Coco Carmel, June Yamagishi, David Grissom, Doyle Bramhall II, Texas Johnny Brown, Herlin Riley, Jason and the Scorchers, Luci Micarelli, Chris Thomas King, Carolyn Wonderland, Wild Magnolias, Jimmy Hall, Jack Pearson, Toni Price, Naughty Professor, John Cleary, Donald Harrison.

Stephen Stills is hardly unknown but he is a monster player. Very little of it has made it into albums.

User avatar 13.Jabbroni » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:57 am

Most musicians. There are people in Austin that play in a bar for tips at happy hour that could curb stomp... humiliate Clapton.

But for some great shows that stand out from people that you might know that never made it as big as I think they should have Bobby Whitlock & Coco Carmel, June Yamagishi, David Grissom, Doyle Bramhall II, Texas Johnny Brown, Herlin Riley, Jason and the Scorchers, Luci Micarelli, Chris Thomas King, Carolyn Wonderland, Wild Magnolias, Jimmy Hall, Jack Pearson, Toni Price, Naughty Professor, John Cleary, Donald Harrison.

Stephen Stills is hardly unknown but he is a monster player. Very little of it has made it into albums.
There's some truth here. I saw guys playing for change on Beale Street that would smoke what most consider great musicians. I think I've mentioned the story before where I just wanted to pack up and go home and not play the shows we were there to play after hearing them play.

User avatar 14.RIP » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:57 am

The Deftones.

Agreed.
yt

User avatar 15.Irish Mike » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 am

was listening to the new Marilyn Manson album and was thinking how his music is so much better than the gimmick. I’ll admit not giving his music a chance for a long time because I thought he was just for angst ridden 90’s goth kids, and others still think he’s Satan. Don’t think he will ever get the credit he deserves.

So, who else fits the “never get they’re due” mold...besides candlebox, obviously
The first 2 records are really good, front to back. I never got into anything after that.

16.rampart » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:54 am

The first 2 records are really good, front to back. I never got into anything after that.
Mechanical Animals is amazing but very different than anything else he has done. It was the only album of his that I ever really liked when I was younger. You should give Holy Wood a listen sometime, it came after Mechanical and I just dismissed it as Manson falling back into the shock gimmick stuff but it’s really good and if you really like the second album you’d probably like that one.

17.rampart » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:00 am

There's some truth here. I saw guys playing for change on Beale Street that would smoke what most consider great musicians. I think I've mentioned the story before where I just wanted to pack up and go home and not play the shows we were there to play after hearing them play.
I’ve lived in an area that’s a musical and cultural black hole most of my life. If you want to hear covers of George thorogood or three dog night, no problem but you’ll never see anything beyond bad bar covers and there are no buskers anywhere and certainly none that can do this...

18.9508 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:05 pm

I think the Dogs that sing Jingle Bells have been unfairly pigeonholed into holiday music.

19.evil gator » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Jimmy Buffett’s early stuff is better than the stupid industry would imply

20.9508 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:25 pm

Gandhi n Roses

Fuck you :lol:

And I’ll raise you a guns n crows’es. This shit actually got radio play

This hurts my soul. Well played

21.Fishon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Speaking of Marilyn Manson, I saw recently that Evan Rachel Wood (??) was providing some sort of testimony about how Manson abused her. He sounded like a real piece of shit

22.Fishon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:01 pm

I mean I still like Whiskeytown and some of ryan adams’ solo stuff, so I don’t think it has to ruin you liking the music

23.rampart » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:06 pm

I mean I still like Whiskeytown and some of ryan adams’ solo stuff, so I don’t think it has to ruin you liking the music
Yeh I like Ryan Adams stuff too. I also like Roman polanski’s films. Just have to divorce the art from the man.

24.JookJoint » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:10 pm

Cold Roses is a badass album

25.Fishon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:14 pm

Cold Roses is a badass album
I have a lot of memories of driving from Gainesville to Savannah to visit my gf/now wife while listening to that record. Reminds me of never ending construction on I95 😂
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else