non football viewing consumption medias - Episode 2

Moderators: Irish Mike, shutout, Jabbroni

1476.evil gator » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:10 pm

Watched the first episode. It was good. Didn't know Scorcese directed it. Looks like a good setup so far.
Fun fact: Lucy was one of Weinstein’s 87 accusers
maybe if you did something about those cankles you could've been 88
My love of Publix subs saved me from a worse fate

User avatar 1477.RIP » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:52 am

Stowaway was a good run of the mill space exploration drama.
yt

User avatar 1478.angrigator » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:56 am

Stowaway was a good run of the mill space exploration drama.
Too many unanswered questions for me and moved kind of slow. How did that sumbich fit inside that panel?

User avatar 1479.RIP » Sat May 01, 2021 3:51 am

As others said the first half or so of WandaVision was a slog but it got a lot better.
yt

1480.Juggs » Sat May 01, 2021 12:21 pm

As others said the first half or so of WandaVision was a slog but it got a lot better.
Never at one point in any of these movies did I give 2 fucks about Vision. And for supposedly being so powerful, he was never any real help to anything.

1481.evil gator » Tue May 04, 2021 3:14 pm

My grandparents war on pbs is interesting - pampered Brit actors learn about how badass their grandparents were in ww2 and why they don’t speak German.

There are monuments to kamikazees in Japan and apprently they were just misunderstood kids

1482.Fishon » Tue May 04, 2021 5:46 pm

My grandparents war on pbs is interesting - pampered Brit actors learn about how badass their grandparents were in ww2 and why they don’t speak German.

There are monuments to kamikazees in Japan and apprently they were just misunderstood kids
If you ever want to maintain a positive feeling towards the Japanese, do not read, "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa." It's a great story told by a Marine who lived it, but man, the Japanese were vicious as hell in that war.

User avatar 1483.Irish Mike » Tue May 04, 2021 5:51 pm

If you ever want to maintain a positive feeling towards the Japanese, do not read, "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa." It's a great story told by a Marine who lived it, but man, the Japanese were vicious as hell in that war.
Or "The Rape of Nanking" or any books about Unit 731

1484.evil gator » Tue May 04, 2021 6:35 pm

Yeah the actor Mark rylance (he was the dad w the boat in Dunkirk) had a grandfather who was captured in Hong Kong and in a prison camp for years. His grandfather saw injured friends get bayoneted in a hospital and starve and yet he’s all like omg Hiroshima was so out of line but he wouldn’t exist if it hadn’t happened.

1485.evil gator » Tue May 04, 2021 6:43 pm

It’s weird that it’s still fine to hate nazis but now the Japanese must be empathized w - at least by the brits based on this show. Like they are able to logically show nazis as animals w/out still hating Germans but the same isn’t true of the asshole Japanese soldiers vs every other person in Japan.

1486.gatorbreeze » Tue May 04, 2021 7:29 pm

One of my dad's friends had been a guest of the Japanese during WW2, he hated them with a white hot passion. He also carried a can of sardines on his person every day, he told my dad he would never again be without food. As a POW he was down to 110lbs from 180 when the war ended. I worked with another guy who had been a co pilot on a B17 that went down over Germany, he always carried a pack of peanut butter crackers just like dad's friend. Neither guy ever opened their food items. He also hated the Nazi's to his dying day, but pointed out that of all the countries we've have conflicts with since the Geneva convention, WW2 Germany is the only one to adhere to the Convention's rules for treatment of POWs.
" Dark humor is like food, not everybody gets it."...Joseph Stalin

1487.evil gator » Tue May 04, 2021 8:01 pm

One of my dad's friends had been a guest of the Japanese during WW2, he hated them with a white hot passion. He also carried a can of sardines on his person every day, he told my dad he would never again be without food. As a POW he was down to 110lbs from 180 when the war ended. I worked with another guy who had been a co pilot on a B17 that went down over Germany, he always carried a pack of peanut butter crackers just like dad's friend. Neither guy ever opened their food items. He also hated the Nazi's to his dying day, but pointed out that of all the countries we've have conflicts with since the Geneva convention, WW2 Germany is the only one to adhere to the Convention's rules for treatment of POWs.
Yeah relatively speaking the brits and Americans were ok in German POW camps - it wasn’t hogans hero’s but not anywhere close to Japanese. I think nazis treated Russians and Slavs horribly though

1488.PG. » Tue May 04, 2021 8:27 pm

My dad fought Japanese in ww2, N Koreans in that war, and N Vietnamese in that "conflict".

He never really could stomach asians after that. Gook was his usual epithet for all of them.

User avatar 1489.DocZaius » Tue May 04, 2021 8:34 pm

User avatar 1490.Cus » Wed May 05, 2021 12:18 am

I'm enjoying Shadow and Bone on Netflix
Started this tonight

User avatar 1491.Cus » Wed May 05, 2021 12:20 am

Watched the first episode. It was good. Didn't know Scorcese directed it. Looks like a good setup so far.
Lucy seems like a nice girl.
That actor is seriously BSC in real life as well.

User avatar 1492.Irish Mike » Wed May 05, 2021 12:51 am

Lucy seems like a nice girl.
That actor is seriously BSC in real life as well.
Nice cans. Don't care.

User avatar 1493.RIP » Wed May 05, 2021 3:34 am

3 episodes into the new season of Handmaid's Tale. Goddamn I'm so ready for this depressing shit to end. It's a compelling story but just pure misery.
yt

1494.evil gator » Wed May 05, 2021 12:20 pm

3 episodes into the new season of Handmaid's Tale. Goddamn I'm so ready for this depressing shit to end. It's a compelling story but just pure misery.
It is a horrible binge

User avatar 1495.RIP » Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 am

Nobody was great. I won't spoil anything but Odenkirk as a badass was a lot of fun.
yt

1496.lil numby » Thu May 06, 2021 7:19 pm

anyone see the new kate winslet show yet
i have watched it, it is good.

generally not a stickler for these things unless they're absolutely terrible, but i couldn't help but think the boston accents were pretty mediocre. until realizing at some point in episode 2 that the show is set in a suburb of philly lol

1497.evil gator » Thu May 06, 2021 7:30 pm

Is that show over yet? Ill binge when it’s done

User avatar 1498.RIP » Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 pm

Is that show over yet? Ill binge when it’s done
No. 3 episodes out so far.
yt

1499.evil gator » Thu May 06, 2021 7:49 pm

Yeah I hate waiting!

1500.lil numby » Thu May 06, 2021 8:18 pm

Yeah I hate waiting!
i was overcome by a sense of ennui after finishing episode 3 knowing there wasn't another ready for me
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else