you can add Charlie Rose

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

701.Fishon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:53 pm

I think doc's point was that sure you can be grossed out/weirded out by it but there's no need to go to the national media.
sure, but that may be the difference in being a guy vs. being a female. women are subjected to this kind of thing on a much bigger scale than men are. is it any shock that people are getting fed up with it? for those women who complained, that's probably not the first time they've been groped on the job (cynically speaking, it may be the first time a billionaire did it)

702.evs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:54 pm

I'd be okay if you were upset about it.
Lies. Everyone would call him a complete bitch. :lol:
Oh there's absolutely a double standard in the way men and women are treated when it comes to this kind of thing.

But for the sake of argument, how upset should I be? Or maybe should I just shrug my shoulders and move on?
well that's just it, if it hasn't happened to you, how do you know?

703.evs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:54 pm

who knew the GOT nerd would understand this issue so well?

704.shutout » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Exactly. Inappropriate? Sure. Offensive? You bet! But "harmful"? Come on.

Now if it's your boss and he's 45, I get it. No way should that shit be allowed to pass unchallenged.

But 95-year-old Stan Lee? He's not a threat to your person, your livelihood or your reputation, he's got no power (unless I missed him on the big list of Hollywood power brokers that you should not cross, ever).
obviously, there are degrees. Just because one thing isn't as bad as something else doesn't mean it's not bad and should be accepted.

again I think you'd feel differently if you were the one getting grabbed.
So let's say, hypothetically, that Betty White grabbed my crotch in a non-consensual manner as I was spoon-feeding her a helping of my finest porridge. What do you think I should do about it? Run to the media? Hire a lawyer? Get a few men's rights activists riled up about it on twitter?
Let's say hypothetically that this you is a victim of rape or sexual abuse in your youth, suffer from crippling depression, and worked for months to get up the courage just to take this job. The anecdotal lens is always insufficient.

705.Juggs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:56 pm

let me get this straight. If,for whatever the reason, Juggs is grabbed by betty white or stan lee, he would just shrug it off and go about his business? :lol: c'mon

maybe "upset" isn't the right word. Would you be weirded out by it at least?
Sure I'd be a little weirded out about it, but would I run to the media announcing how "harmed" I've been? No.

User avatar 706.DocZaius » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:56 pm

Lies. Everyone would call him a complete bitch. :lol:
Oh there's absolutely a double standard in the way men and women are treated when it comes to this kind of thing.

But for the sake of argument, how upset should I be? Or maybe should I just shrug my shoulders and move on?
I'm a middle aged man. I do have a vague recollection of being hit on by older women at some point when I was young, but I'm fairly certain none ever came right out and groped me. If I let it slide, however, I might not have a good memory of it, so maybe it has happened...

Let me ask... since you're the only woman here. Has it happened to you?

707.Juggs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 pm

I'm a middle aged man. I do have a vague recollection of being hit on by older women at some point when I was young, but I'm fairly certain none ever came right out and groped me. If I let it slide, however, I might not have a good memory of it, so maybe it has happened...

Let me ask... since you're the only woman here. Has it happened to you?
I have been "assaulted" without my consent a couple times. Just a couple weeks ago a woman about 45 stuck her hand up my shirt and massaged my boobies without asking me. Yes it was at a bar :lol:

708.Cus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 pm

anecdotal lens
Band name

User avatar 709.ufgators68 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 pm

User avatar 710.ufgators68 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 pm

My soon-to-be 90 year old mother resides in a nursing home and recently her equally elderly, mind gone over the rainbow, former Pentecostal Holiness preacher's wife, roommate was quite insistent that I remove my clothing.

711.evs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:22 pm

My soon-to-be 90 year old mother resides in a nursing home and recently her equally elderly, mind gone over the rainbow, former Pentecostal Holiness preacher's wife, roommate was quite insistent that I remove my clothing.
ha, damn

User avatar 712.RIP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:24 pm

I think doc's point was that sure you can be grossed out/weirded out by it but there's no need to go to the national media.
sure, but that may be the difference in being a guy vs. being a female. women are subjected to this kind of thing on a much bigger scale than men are. is it any shock that people are getting fed up with it? for those women who complained, that's probably not the first time they've been groped on the job (cynically speaking, it may be the first time a billionaire did it)
Oh I get all of that but in this particular case it's dumb to report it to the media. The dude is almost 100 years old and is likely out of his mind. File a complaint with your boss and ask to be reassigned. Dealing with this kind of shit is a hazard of the job when it comes to elderly healthcare specifically.

713.shutout » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:26 pm

anecdotal lens
Band name
i thought the same. :lol:

User avatar 714.RIP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Side note: If Stan Lee is completely coherent then fuck him and it's not acceptable and he should be lambasted. I doubt he is though at that age.

715.evs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Oh I get all of that but in this particular case it's dumb to report it to the media. The dude is almost 100 years old and is likely out of his mind. File a complaint with your boss and ask to be reassigned. Dealing with this kind of shit is a hazard of the job when it comes to elderly healthcare specifically.
sure, I think generally go to the media if you've already complained at work. However, like blue and Fish said, we don't really know all about the situation

716.Cus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Yyyyeeah, because I'd make something like that up.

717.Juggs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Side note: If Stan Lee is completely coherent then fuck him and it's not acceptable and he should be lambasted. I doubt he is though at that age.
Never know. I know a guy who's 94 and he's sharp as hell. My great grandfather was as well until alzheimers hit him around 98.

User avatar 718.RIP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:01 pm

if he does have alzheimers/dimetia then this is a huge HIPAA violation btw. Again, if not then fuck him.

719.rampart » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:36 am

ha, damn
could have been a fear of moths

User avatar 720.RIP » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm

721.rampart » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:45 pm

I can't stand that guy, he has a face I just want to kick over and over again

User avatar 722.99inNC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:33 pm

I can't stand that guy, he has a face I just want to kick over and over again

User avatar 723.DocZaius » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Aziz Ansari guilty of not being a mind-reader.
I’m apparently the victim of sexual assault. And if you’re a sexually active woman in the 21st century, chances are that you are, too.

That is what I learned from the “exposé” of Aziz Ansari published this weekend by the feminist website Babe — arguably the worst thing that has happened to the #MeToo movement since it began in October. It transforms what ought to be a movement for women’s empowerment into an emblem for female helplessness.

The headline primes the reader to gird for the very worst: “I went on a date with Aziz Ansari. It turned into the worst night of my life.” Like everyone else, I clicked.

In the 30 or so minutes that followed — recounted beat by cringe-inducing beat — they hooked up. Mr. Ansari persistently tried to have penetrative sex with her, and Grace says she was deeply uncomfortable throughout. At various points, she told the reporter, she attempted to voice her hesitation, and that Mr. Ansari ignored her signals.

At last, she uttered the word “no” for the first time during their encounter, to Mr. Ansari’s suggestion that they have sex in front of a mirror. He said: “‘How about we just chill, but this time with our clothes on?’”

They got dressed, sat on the couch and watched “Seinfeld.” She said to him: “You guys are all the same.” He called her an Uber. She cried on the way home. Fin.

If you are wondering what about this evening constituted the “worst night” of Grace’s life, or why it is being framed as a #MeToo story by a feminist website, you probably feel as confused as Mr. Ansari did the next day. “It was fun meeting you last night,” he texted.

“Last night might’ve been fun for you, but it wasn’t for me,” she responded. “You ignored clear nonverbal cues; you kept going with advances. You had to have noticed I was uncomfortable.” He replied with an apology.

Read Grace’s text message again.

Put in other words: I am angry that you weren’t able to read my mind.

I’m sorry Grace had this experience. I too have had lousy romantic encounters, as has every adult woman I know. I have regretted these encounters, and not said anything at all. And I have regretted them and said so, like Grace did. And I know I am lucky that these unpleasant moments were far from being anything approaching assault or rape, or even the worst night of my life.

But the response to Grace’s story makes me think that many of my fellow feminists might insist that my experience was just that, and for me to define it otherwise is nothing more than my internalized misogyny.

There is a useful term for what Grace experienced on her night with Mr. Ansari. It’s called “bad sex.” It sucks.

724.Juggs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:55 pm

She should be punched in the cooter.

725.evs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:02 pm

he was funny on Parks but his show is sort of creepy
Sort by

« The Gatorboard : Offseasoned