non football tv

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

151.evs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:31 pm

oh okay, I just figured it was the same ethelred but believe it or not I don't have all the kings of England memorized. I assumed Alfred was the same one. but yeah that's the problem with kings there are like 40 who have the same name

yeah he got stung by a been and then face was swole up and died, assume that's what it was. Sort of an ironic way for a warrior to die
Shitty way for a warrior to die. Like when movies have bad ass warriors get taken out by a cunt with a bow and arrow. Hate it.

Has it ever been noted in what time frame Vikings is supposed to be taking place?
The writer plays around a lot with time. For instance, in the show it has Ragnar participating in the Lindisfarne raid (790's) and the seige of Paris (840's), which would have been almost impossible anyway, much less with him not being like 60 or 70 during Paris. Also, Rollo was made duke of Normandy after the time frame the show depicts. Alfred was much younger when his father died and had 3 older brothers that were kings of Wessex before him. and of course he wasn't the bastard son of some random monk.

The great heathen army invaded England around 865, so i think we can assume the show is in that time period now.
YOU DON"T KNOW THAT!!!!

152.Fishon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:33 pm

ha yeah my husband has been googling stuff while we watch but I forget the real history the minute I hear it.
and if I may totally nerd-out here, "aethelred the unready" is a mis-translation. It was actually Aethelred Unred, which means "noble-counsel, no counsel" (red = counsel) referring to him having bad advisers.

I will now retire to the nerdatorium

153.Fishon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:35 pm

Shitty way for a warrior to die. Like when movies have bad ass warriors get taken out by a cunt with a bow and arrow. Hate it.

Has it ever been noted in what time frame Vikings is supposed to be taking place?
The writer plays around a lot with time. For instance, in the show it has Ragnar participating in the Lindisfarne raid (790's) and the seige of Paris (840's), which would have been almost impossible anyway, much less with him not being like 60 or 70 during Paris. Also, Rollo was made duke of Normandy after the time frame the show depicts. Alfred was much younger when his father died and had 3 older brothers that were kings of Wessex before him. and of course he wasn't the bastard son of some random monk.

The great heathen army invaded England around 865, so i think we can assume the show is in that time period now.
YOU DON"T KNOW THAT!!!!
:lol: the fun part of this time period is that the lack of written records means a lot of filling in and "artistic license"

154.evs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:35 pm

ha yeah my husband has been googling stuff while we watch but I forget the real history the minute I hear it.
and if I may totally nerd-out here, "aethelred the unready" is a mis-translation. It was actually Aethelred Unred, which means "noble-counsel, no counsel" (red = counsel) referring to him having bad advisers.

ahaha I assumed it fit into the show because they said be king, and he said no, make my brother king...so unready. :oops:

155.Fishon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:38 pm

ahaha I assumed it fit into the show because they said be king, and he said no, make my brother king...so unready. :oops:
wait, does alfred say "make my brother king" in this last episode? f me, Michael Hirst is the shittiest writer

156.evs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 pm

wait, does alfred say "make my brother king" in this last episode? f me, Michael Hirst is the shittiest writer
yeah something like that. the dialog is terrible. This week and last Lagertha said "I don't know" when the Bishop asked why she saved him. one, why have that conversation TWICE and two, you know they REALLY DON'T KNOW why she saved him and are trying to figure it out

157.Fishon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:53 pm

yeah something like that. the dialog is terrible. This week and last Lagertha said "I don't know" when the Bishop asked why she saved him. one, why have that conversation TWICE and two, you know they REALLY DON'T KNOW why she saved him and are trying to figure it out
the only reason i can think of is to find out what why he is fighting with Ivar (we know, but they don't) and once she finds out why, she would question him on what he knows about Ivar's plans. I mean the guy could be a valuable prisoner but they wrote is capture really poorly. Honestly, Hirst is the problem. A lot of things I read early on were kind of surprised that the show was decent due to him. A lot of warnings that it could go off the rails like Tudors did.

158.evs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:00 pm

yeah he did Camelot too right? The only reason to watch his crap shows are the interesting settings/situations and hot actors. The plots and dialog are so dumb.

159.evs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:04 pm

(yes I watched the tudors 14 times for Henry Cavill)

160.Juggs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:11 pm

I actually knew that. No idea why. Probably read it at some point when looking up shit for this show :lol:

161.rynogator » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Dark on Netflix is excellent. It is a German show, kind of a cross between Stranger Things and The Kettering Incident. Recommend watching in German with the subtitles though. The wife and I found the dubbed English version to be pretty maddening
is the kettering incident worth a watch?
Tough to answer. I thought the show was objectively good and worth a watch. BUT, season 1 ends on a cliff hanger and it's been almost 2 years since they made it. The last reported discussion of it by the creator is from shortly after the season finished and she expressed optimism about a series 2 (series 1 ratings were good) and her plans for it, but since then zero news. So it hasn't been cancelled but there doesn't seem to be an active or planned work happening on it, so it's difficult to recommend a show that I know ends in the way it does and where it appears likely that more episodes may never get made.

162.evs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Dark on Netflix is excellent. It is a German show, kind of a cross between Stranger Things and The Kettering Incident. Recommend watching in German with the subtitles though. The wife and I found the dubbed English version to be pretty maddening
is the kettering incident worth a watch?
Tough to answer. I thought the show was objectively good and worth a watch. BUT, season 1 ends on a cliff hanger and it's been almost 2 years since they made it. The last reported discussion of it by the creator is from shortly after the season finished and she expressed optimism about a series 2 (series 1 ratings were good) and her plans for it, but since then zero news. So it hasn't been cancelled but there doesn't seem to be an active or planned work happening on it, so it's difficult to recommend a show that I know ends in the way it does and where it appears likely that more episodes may never get made.
oooh, thanks for the tip. yeah a lot of non-American shows have the non-ending ending which is frustrating.

163.Fishon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:42 am

just watched the most recent vikings episode. what a shitshow this has become. nothing that happened in that episode makes any damn sense. It's basically a shitty daytime soap opera that takes place in a early medieval-type era.

164.evs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:05 pm

just watched the most recent vikings episode. what a shitshow this has become. nothing that happened in that episode makes any damn sense. It's basically a shitty daytime soap opera that takes place in a early medieval-type era.
I really think you, me and Juggs writing a script drunk would be better than that dross

165.Fishon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:13 pm

I really think you, me and Juggs writing a script drunk would be better than that dross
What was the point of that first battle from a story telling perspective if the losing army is just going to get more dudes the very next episode? and Harald should have been way more pissed with Ivar. Also, I realize that there has been a ton of license taken with the historical facts, but if you're going to write in Alfred's older brother, why not have him be king first? Alfred learned a lot from him and was a better king for it. I saw a review where they pointed out that the actual history is much more interesting than Hirst's invention

166.evs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 pm

What was the point of that first battle from a story telling perspective if the losing army is just going to get more dudes the very next episode? and Harald should have been way more pissed with Ivar. Also, I realize that there has been a ton of license taken with the historical facts, but if you're going to write in Alfred's older brother, why not have him be king first? Alfred learned a lot from him and was a better king for it. I saw a review where they pointed out that the actual history is much more interesting than Hirst's invention
this is so adorably goony

User avatar 167.99inNC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Finally watching "Narcos" Season 3 and still loving it. Almost at the end and even though this is post-Pablo, the Cali cartel stuff is still fascinating. I love how they use the archive footage on the newsreels so you can see how a lot of this shit went down. Man, Colombia is crazy.

168.Fishon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 pm

yeah, I found season 3 pretty entertaining. the cali guys were pretty damn brutal themselves

User avatar 169.99inNC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:45 pm

yeah, I found season 3 pretty entertaining. the cali guys were pretty damn brutal themselves
Exactly. They didn't always feel the need to be demonstrative like Pablo and his crews, but they are pretty shitty people themselves. Surprising that a cocaine cartel would be, right?

170.Fishon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Exactly. They didn't always feel the need to be demonstrative like Pablo and his crews, but they are pretty shitty people themselves. Surprising that a cocaine cartel would be, right?
my monocle cracked and fell into my champagne constantly while watching

User avatar 171.99inNC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 pm

my monocle cracked and fell into my champagne constantly while watching
Oh yes, lots and lots of pearls-clutching at our home.

172.Tommy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:14 pm

Anyone watched Black Sails? I tried, watched 2 ep of season 1, ain’t exactly captivated me, though the keel hauling of Blackbeard was brutal

User avatar 173.ufgators68 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 pm

It is cool for what it is... a show with lots of nudity, gore and fighting. I missed the last season and now that I have Starz, I still haven't watched it.

174.rampart » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:53 pm

Anyone watched Black Sails? I tried, watched 2 ep of season 1, ain’t exactly captivated me, though the keel hauling of Blackbeard was brutal
That's as far as I got with it and I'm not the least bit interested in what I missed

175.Juggs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:55 pm

Black Sails got better as it went along. I wasn’t excited about it at first, stuck with it and ended up liking it.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else