Ten

Moderators: Irish Mike, shutout, Jabbroni

User avatar 1.MoralityULack » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:33 pm

I overheard my wife listening to this and was impressed - before I saw her.

2.Fishon » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:38 pm

I was hoping for a Pearl Jam thread

3.rampart » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:16 pm

They suck / half of TGB

VS. will always be my favorite, front to back no filler.

Ten is the obvious choice for best but I could easily do with never hearing Alive or Evenflow ever again.

Vitalogy has some of their best stuff (Not For You, Last Exit, Nothing Man, Immortality, Satan’s Bed) but 3 filler tracks (bugs, foxy, aya davinita).

No Code has grown on me the most. Present Tense, Red Mosquito, Off He Goes, Smile, and In My Tree are as good as anything they’ve ever done. In My Tree and Present Tense are killer live.

Yield has tons of good stuff but like has some meh songs and filler. Hard to beat Brain of J, MFC, and Given To Fly. Push me, Pull Me has grown on me.

That was the last album they were really commercial but some of their best songs came after:

Breakerfall
Light Years
Parting Ways
Thumbing My Way
Get Right
Save You
Love Boat Captain
Green Disease
All or None
Marker In The Sand
Severed Hand
Come Back
Inside Job
Unthought Known

I really can’t find anything on the Lightning Bolt album that I would care to hear live, maybe the title track but that’s it.

The newest album Gigaton is better but want to hear it live. It really hasn’t stuck with me but it’s way more interesting than LB.

PJ is one of those bands where I’d take the live version over the studio version anytime. You never know where it will go and the energy can be through the roof.

4.Fishon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:28 pm

They suck / half of TGB

Ten is the obvious choice for best but I could easily do with never hearing Alive or Evenflow ever again.

Vitalogy has some of their best stuff (Not For You, Last Exit, Nothing Man, Immortality, Satan’s Bed) but 3 filler tracks (bugs, foxy, aya davinita).

No Code has grown on me the most. Present Tense, Red Mosquito, Off He Goes, Smile, and In My Tree are as good as anything they’ve ever done. In My Tree and Present Tense are killer live.

Yield has tons of good stuff but like has some meh songs and filler. Hard to beat Brain of J, MFC, and Given To Fly. Push me, Pull Me has grown on me.

That was the last album they were really commercial but some of their best songs came after:

Breakerfall
Light Years
Parting Ways
Thumbing My Way
Get Right
Save You
Love Boat Captain
Green Disease
All or None
Marker In The Sand
Severed Hand
Come Back
Inside Job
Unthought Known

I really can’t find anything on the Lightning Bolt album that I would care to hear live, maybe the title track but that’s it.

The newest album Gigaton is better but want to hear it live. It really hasn’t stuck with me but it’s way more interesting than LB.

PJ is one of those bands where I’d take the live version over the studio version anytime. You never know where it will go and the energy can be through the roof.
I would love to see PJ live, especially since I've missed some of my all-time favorites (Soundgarden, AIC, Nirvana) and will never see them live (in AIC's case I mean the original lineup). The live recordings I've heard they seem to have a lot of energy and really enjoy playing to crowds.

No Code was one that I didn't like when it came out and it later became my favorite album of theirs. All the tracks you listed are way up there for me. Agree also about lightning bolt. maybe one song stood out to me, the rest were blah. When Gigaton came out last year, I remember thinking they had found something great again. I need to listen to that one some more. Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy came out when I was 11-14, so those have obviously stuck with me. Yield is also a great album, but it came out my senior year of HS so it always pulls up weird memories/emotions for me. Backspacer is another album I really liked. 2009 was a strange year in that AIC and PJ both released something new. I think I enjoyed both those albums more than the critics, so it may have been nostalgia, but I really think Backspacer and Black Gives Way to Blue (AIC) are strong albums

User avatar 5.Irish Mike » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:40 pm

I would love to see PJ live, especially since I've missed some of my all-time favorites (Soundgarden, AIC, Nirvana) and will never see them live (in AIC's case I mean the original lineup). The live recordings I've heard they seem to have a lot of energy and really enjoy playing to crowds.
I've missed some bands, even ones where I had tickets but wound up not going (Nirvana, Ramones). Now I make a point to see everyone I like when I get a chance.

6.Denver-Gator » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:44 pm

I've missed some bands, even ones where I had tickets but wound up not going (Nirvana, Ramones). Now I make a point to see everyone I like when I get a chance.
I saw James Brown about 20 years ago. He was already getting old, but it was fun just for the spectacle that he made of it.

7.rampart » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:57 pm

They suck / half of TGB

Breakerfall
Light Years
Parting Ways
Thumbing My Way
Get Right
Save You
Love Boat Captain
Green Disease
All or None
Marker In The Sand
Severed Hand
Come Back
Inside Job
Unthought Known

No Code was one that I didn't like when it came out and it later became my favorite album of theirs. All the tracks you listed are way up there for me. Agree also about lightning bolt. maybe one song stood out to me, the rest were blah. When Gigaton came out last year, I remember thinking they had found something great again. I need to listen to that one some more. Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy came out when I was 11-14, so those have obviously stuck with me. Yield is also a great album, but it came out my senior year of HS so it always pulls up weird memories/emotions for me. Backspacer is another album I really liked. 2009 was a strange year in that AIC and PJ both released something new. I think I enjoyed both those albums more than the critics, so it may have been nostalgia, but I really think Backspacer and Black Gives Way to Blue (AIC) are strong albums
I saw PJ twice years ago, binaural and riot act tours. Would really like to see them again. Eddies voice seemed to be going but sounds really good lately from the live stuff I’ve heard.

I would have loved to see AIC. I did see Jerry Cantrell open for Metallica. That was pretty cool.

8.rampart » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:59 pm

I’m kicking myself for not seeing roger waters during the wall tour. I need him to tour Florida one more time before he dies, I will not miss it.

Glad I got to see Tom petty.

User avatar 9.MoralityULack » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:52 pm

I've seen damn near everybody I wanted to see that was still alive by 1975 in some configuration. Old band, new band, solo. Including some fairly rare ones like Airplane, New Riders, Muddy Waters, forgotten Buddy Guy acoustic in a bar, and Zeppelin(granted 3 songs). I made the Ramones when I didnt feel like it. Botched a few. Aretha played here and I didnt want to pay scalp prices. Didnt know Toots was playing till it was too late. I saw a LOT at 13 Jazzfests. Ray Charles, Wilson Pickett, Little Milton, Dylan and a hundred more common like Tbirds and Santana and hundreds of MS, TX and LA bands. I saw Pearl Jam at Jazzfest. I watched 3-4 songs and moved on - which I do for most everybody there. They were good. But no Bonerama or Beausoleil for me.

Mark Knopfler
Pat Metherney
John Scofield
Jimmy Cliff
War (contractually called Low Rider Band now)

are on the see before they die list.

10.Fishon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:13 pm

I've seen damn near everybody I wanted to see that was still alive by 1975 in some configuration. Old band, new band, solo. Including some fairly rare ones like Airplane, New Riders, Muddy Waters, forgotten Buddy Guy acoustic in a bar, and Zeppelin(granted 3 songs). I made the Ramones when I didnt feel like it. Botched a few. Aretha played here and I didnt want to pay scalp prices. Didnt know Toots was playing till it was too late. I saw a LOT at 13 Jazzfests. Ray Charles, Wilson Pickett, Little Milton, Dylan and a hundred more common like Tbirds and Santana and hundreds of MS, TX and LA bands. I saw Pearl Jam at Jazzfest. I watched 3-4 songs and moved on - which I do for most everybody there. They were good. But no Bonerama or Beausoleil for me.

Mark Knopfler
Pat Metherney
John Scofield
Jimmy Cliff

That Zeppelin show where you only saw 3 songs, did that happen to be the one in Tampa stopped due to lightning? My dad was at that one...

11.rampart » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:17 pm

Mark Knopfler
Pat Metherney
John Scofield
Jimmy Cliff

Pearl Jam at festival shows usually isn’t the best time to see them but I don’t think you’d really like them anyway based on the music you listen to.

User avatar 12.MoralityULack » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:31 pm

Mark Knopfler
Pat Metherney
John Scofield
Jimmy Cliff

That Zeppelin show where you only saw 3 songs, did that happen to be the one in Tampa stopped due to lightning? My dad was at that one...
Yep. PG was too I think.

13.PG. » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:33 pm

Yep. So disappointing.

User avatar 14.MoralityULack » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:39 pm

Yep. So disappointing.
Yep. But we got to see them. More than most, For all their fame not that many did. It was an exciting adventure. And I doubled my money with discarded tickets.

Robert Plant lived about 7-8 blocks from here. I always thought if I got a chance to talk to him I would remind him.

15.Denver-Gator » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:56 pm

Yep. So disappointing.
Yep. But we got to see them. More than most, For all their fame not that many did. It was an exciting adventure. And I doubled my money with discarded tickets.

Robert Plant lived about 7-8 blocks from here. I always thought if I got a chance to talk to him I would remind him.
I saw a couple of the Page/Plant tours in the 1990s. Not quite the same thing, but pretty good nonetheless. The youtube is full of a lot of those bootleg concerts, some of them pretty decent quality.

16.PG. » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:57 pm

Yes... and they were troopers about it. I remember plant saying they would continue but were getting shocked.

But yeah that memory of page ripping on guitar will always stay with me. I always thought I would get another chance but never did.

User avatar 17.MoralityULack » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:45 pm

I saw Plant in SLC long ago. He opened with Immigrant Song. I also saw him with Alison Krauss at ACL. He did several Zeppelin songs. Black Dog and Evermore. I liked it a lot actually. It was great to hear different versions. They actually had some pretty folky and bluesy songs even when they were considered as heavy as it gets. Evermore was a perfect fit. The variety is what makes them still listenable for me when I dont listen to much of the hard rock bands of that era any more. They just sound a bit silly. I get he wants to do something new and more age appropriate. And its not going to be the same but he still comes up with some interesting music. I liked his latest.

Page? he hasnt done anything since I liked.

I do have boots of Page and Plant in Japan. The only known live performances of Tea for One which is one of my favorites.

User avatar 18.MoralityULack » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:58 pm

I found an OK Evermore

User avatar 19.RIP » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:05 pm

Krauss is so fucking talented.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

User avatar 20.Irish Mike » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:22 pm

Mark Knopfler
Pat Metherney
John Scofield
Jimmy Cliff

Pearl Jam at festival shows usually isn’t the best time to see them but I don’t think you’d really like them anyway based on the music you listen to.
Saw them 3 times. Once at a tiny theater in Miami in 92. Late on the same year at Lollapalooza and the last time was around 99 or 2000 when they finally went on tour after all the ticketmaster shit.

21.rampart » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:54 pm

Mark Knopfler
Pat Metherney
John Scofield
Jimmy Cliff

Saw them 3 times. Once at a tiny theater in Miami in 92. Late on the same year at Lollapalooza and the last time was around 99 or 2000 when they finally went on tour after all the ticketmaster shit.
I’d kill to have been at the show in 92. Did Eddie jump off the amp stacks or lighting rigs? Lol

User avatar 22.Irish Mike » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:17 am

I’d kill to have been at the show in 92. Did Eddie jump off the amp stacks or lighting rigs? Lol
He climbed to the top but didn't jump off. I have shitty pics of it . :lol:

23.rampart » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:57 am

He climbed to the top but didn't jump off. I have shitty pics of it . :lol:
Hard to get that Polaroid to focus
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else