Derek Chauvin trial

Moderators: Irish Mike, shutout, Jabbroni

User avatar 1.DocZaius » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:45 am

I didn’t realize it until I saw this article, but the trial of the cop who knelt on George Floyd’s neck and set off all the BLM protests is scheduled to begin trial next week.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2021/03/0 ... protesters

Protestors are mad because Minneapolis authorities have taken steps to mitigate the risk of “mostly peaceful” protests. I figure if it’s good enough for POTUS, it’s good enough for Prince’s home town.

As to the trial itself, I haven’t done a deep dive on the evidence but my gut is an acquittal on the most serious charges - the autopsy leaves a lot of room for reasonable doubt as to cause of death.

2.PG. » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:15 am

Yes...I would guess some lesser included charge like negligent homicide or manslaughter.

No way it's first degree murder unless they document some feud from when they worked together.

User avatar 3.DocZaius » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:54 pm

Some jury selection stuff, nothing too exciting:

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/09/97518899 ... uvin-trial

User avatar 4.RIP » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:40 pm

Gonna be a shit show. I'm guessing the jury will have a reasonable doubt as to whether or not the drugs in his system could have been the reason why he died.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

User avatar 5.DocZaius » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:09 am

Gonna be a shit show. I'm guessing the jury will have a reasonable doubt as to whether or not the drugs in his system could have been the reason why he died.
Not just that, but the autopsy showed no evidence of trauma. So while it’s bad optics that Chauvin was kneeling on his neck for several minutes it doesn’t appear to have caused his death.

I think maybe a manslaughter conviction for delaying medical attention while Floyd complained he couldn’t breathe is possible? I don’t know, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he walked with nothing.

User avatar 6.DocZaius » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:21 am

Didn’t see this before:
The prosecution also agreed that no expert will be allowed to compare Floyd's death to "the crucifixion of Jesus Christ on the ground that such analogy is prejudicial," as member station Minnesota Public Radio reported.

User avatar 7.DocZaius » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:31 am

This guy is a pretty knowledgeable criminal defense attorney I have followed for years:

User avatar 8.Irish Mike » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:32 am

But they will be shocked and outraged and shit will burn.

Peacefully.

User avatar 9.DocZaius » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:04 am

The local paper has jury selection updates:

https://www.startribune.com/what-happen ... 600031856/

User avatar 10.DocZaius » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:08 am

Two shot, one killed inside Minneapolis BLM Autonomous Zone, aka The Free State of George Floyd:

https://kstp.com/news/shooting-kills-1- ... 788/?cat=1

Responding police “met with interference” upon arrival at the scene.

User avatar 11.RIP » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:14 am

I didn't know they had their own zone. If you hang out there you have to know if shit goes down help won't get to you fast enough.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

User avatar 12.Irish Mike » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:16 am

Two shot, one killed inside Minneapolis BLM Autonomous Zone, aka The Free State of George Floyd:

https://kstp.com/news/shooting-kills-1- ... 788/?cat=1

Responding police “met with interference” upon arrival at the scene.
Sounds peaceful

13.PG. » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:18 am

Mostly peaceful.

User avatar 14.Irish Mike » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:20 am

I didn't know they had their own zone. If you hang out there you have to know if shit goes down help won't get to you fast enough.
Blame the victim

15.PG. » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:15 pm

Jury selection must be tough.

"Have you seen anything in the news regarding this incident?"

User avatar 16.DocZaius » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:30 pm

Jury selection must be tough.

"Have you seen anything in the news regarding this incident?"
It really slows it down because you have to talk to each juror individually, outside the presence of the other jurors. You don't want the other jurors to hear about the news coverage.

17.evil gator » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:32 pm

That always puzzles me. If you don’t know, it makes you dumb and or clueless, and how is that ones peer?

18.PG. » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:38 pm

Well..I mean there is NOBODY that hasn't heard about it.

They just go to..."Can you put that aside and be impartial".

User avatar 19.DocZaius » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:51 pm

That always puzzles me. If you don’t know, it makes you dumb and or clueless, and how is that ones peer?
The idea is that the jury will decide the case based only on what’s presented in court, not what they hear outside of it. The rules of evidence exist so that people aren’t swayed by unreliable evidence or media narratives about what happened.

And this case is a good example: the popular opinion on this case is that Chauvin improperly restrained Floyd by kneeling on his neck, causing him to asphyxiate. I think the evidence is going to show that Floyd most likely died from a combination of factors - not the least of which was a drug overdose - and that Chauvin used a literal textbook restraint technique.

20.Denver-Gator » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:11 pm

The idea is that the jury will decide the case based only on what’s presented in court, not what they hear outside of it. The rules of evidence exist so that people aren’t swayed by unreliable evidence or media narratives about what happened.

And this case is a good example: the popular opinion on this case is that Chauvin improperly restrained Floyd by kneeling on his neck, causing him to asphyxiate. I think the evidence is going to show that Floyd most likely died from a combination of factors - not the least of which was a drug overdose - and that Chauvin used a literal textbook restraint technique.
I don't think the textbook says to choke him out to death either. But then again, I'm not an attorney and OJ got an acquittal too, so what do I know? :beatsme:

21.52:20 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:40 pm

Floyd’s family got $27M settlement

User avatar 22.RIP » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:31 am

Knee on neck is textbook? That's news to me. I'm not saying you are wrong btw.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

User avatar 23.DocZaius » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:02 am

Knee on neck is textbook? That's news to me. I'm not saying you are wrong btw.
From said book:

Maximal Restraint Technique

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/minne ... r-BB16vgu6

User avatar 24.RIP » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:22 am

Ok. They did a textbook maneuver but then failed the next step of putting him in a recovery position. That looks bad (especially since the rookie even auggested that). I still think there will be reasonable doubt though. I finally watched the full body cam footage (at least from the beginning until he died). He was definitely fucked up and freaking the hell out. Kneeling on the neck just seems to be obviously dangerous though (especially for so long). Seemed like a perfect shit storm that would lead to a dead guy.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

User avatar 25.DocZaius » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:46 am

Ok. They did a textbook maneuver but then failed the next step of putting him in a recovery position. That looks bad (especially since the rookie even auggested that). I still think there will be reasonable doubt though. I finally watched the full body cam footage (at least from the beginning until he died). He was definitely fucked up and freaking the hell out. Kneeling on the neck just seems to be obviously dangerous though (especially for so long). Seemed like a perfect shit storm that would lead to a dead guy.
Oh sure, I think there is a good chance he will be convicted of a lesser charge for that reason.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else