Polar Vortex...

Moderators: Irish Mike, shutout, Jabbroni

26.9508 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:44 pm

I’ll take a pass on it given the chance.
9508 (Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn)

27.Denver-Gator » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:47 pm

Not getting the PV here in hippie-town, actually fairly mild for Feb
Isn't Asheville kind of up in the mountains?

User avatar 28.Jabbroni » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:16 pm

There are videos of the I-35 pileup this morning. People just keep driving into the pile. Jeebus.
One of the big problems is that people don't drive for the conditions. If the road is icy, slow the F- down. If it's foggy, slow the F- down. If bridges are icing over, slow the F- down.
If the school zone is lit up, punch it!
Jabbs (Stink/Stank/Stunk)

29.Denver-Gator » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:20 pm

There are videos of the I-35 pileup this morning. People just keep driving into the pile. Jeebus.
One of the big problems is that people don't drive for the conditions. If the road is icy, slow the F- down. If it's foggy, slow the F- down. If bridges are icing over, slow the F- down.
Does G-ville have those stupid photo radar vans. They like to park them by the school zones.

User avatar 30.Jabbroni » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:24 pm

I can't say I've ever noticed or looked for one.
Jabbs (Stink/Stank/Stunk)

31.Tommy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:27 pm

Not getting the PV here in hippie-town, actually fairly mild for Feb
Isn't Asheville kind of up in the mountains?
Yes, about 2000 ft

User avatar 32.Panamag8or » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:19 pm

Does G-ville have those stupid photo radar vans. They like to park them by the school zones.
Never seen one.

33.evil gator » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:31 pm

Gainesville’s school zones take up half the town

34.Denver-Gator » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:06 pm

Why Vod isn't posting...
Austin Energy, a publicly owned utility company providing electrical power to the city of Austin, is telling residents not to expect power to return “through Tuesday night and possibly longer.”

"While the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) says conditions are improving, we want customers to know this is a dynamic situation and conditions are changing throughout the day. Customers should be prepared to not have power through Tuesday night and possibly longer," AE said in a tweet Tuesday.

Austin Energy said electric providers are waiting on the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) grid to stabilize and that "customers who have sustained outages should expect those outages to continue until the situation improves."

"All of our crews are ready to restore power to those affected as soon as we are authorized to do so by ERCOT. We recognize the hardships and understand why customers are frustrated," AE said.

ERCOT has recently become the target of criticism across the state. Regular citizens, local leaders, and Gov. Greg Abbott have criticized the company for the prolonged loss of power throughout the state amid frigid winter conditions.

The Texas State House announced an investigation and joint hearings will take place later this month to look into the widespread power outages across the state.

There are around 3.8 million Texans still without power, according to poweroutage.us.

User avatar 35.RIP » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:18 pm

That sucks. What in the hell could the average Joe doe in that situation? Seems pretty dangerous (especially for the elderly). If you didn't already have firewood or a kerosene heater with lots of kerosene you would be hating life.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

36.Denver-Gator » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:22 pm

That sucks. What in the hell could the average Joe doe in that situation? Seems pretty dangerous (especially for the elderly). If you didn't already have firewood or a kerosene heater with lots of kerosene you would be hating life.
People all over Texas are being treated for CO poisoning

User avatar 37.RIP » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:32 pm

People all over Texas are being treated for CO poisoning
Fuuuuck. That shit is scary.

Reminds me of the time my friend's drunk Mom had a kerosene heater warming her garage. It was barely on so we didn't notice. We had the garage cracked for the smokers but she shut it for some reason. A little while later the CO detector in the garage starting going off. I'm very glad that thing was in there.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

38.evil gator » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:00 pm

Seeing snow trucks and utility trucks! Supposed to get a bunch of snow and ice but maybe nothing! Glad my husband had decided against a long mountain run this weekend

User avatar 39.RIP » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:26 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/tw ... s-n1257972

This is terrible but damn, how do people still not know that cars make carbon monoxide?
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

User avatar 40.MoralityULack » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:28 am

Dump while I can....

We had an ice storm - actually more frozen fog mist. EVERYTHING was covered in an invisible layer of ice. And then later we had 6 inches of snow over the weekend. (third most ever) Travel by car was not really safe with all the hidden ice and hills. People here arent used to icy roads. Lots of wrecks. Especially crappy with a side of covid. We are supposed to get a little more mix tonight.

Power went out Monday morning at 2:07 am. I just happened to wake up minutes before the heat turned off abruptly. No down lines. They switched us off for a "rolling blackout" because of high demand and never turned us back on. It was 8 degrees Monday morning. The next morning was 7 degrees. I am not sure it ever got over 20. We have power now as of ~12:30 Wednesday morning, but other people have texted it is up and down. They may actually be "rolling" finally.

We have gas heat but it wont run without the electric fan. We closed off bedrooms, slept on the couch, and used our old gas stove to heat the house to the 60s intermittently while we were awake. Mornings were 50s which is surprising given the age and insulation(or lack thereof). Maybe the snow made our hose an ice cave.

No neighbors had heat. I had to go out and turn the water off for a neighbor who's pipes burst. Another pregnant neighbor went to the hospital. Another group staying with a friend who has power because though they have a gas stove they have a big glass house with high ceilings and cant heat it. Thier 90 year old dads house got to 36 before they could get him. Hotels with power are booked and gouging. All this bad for covid. My wife has several dozen singing connections most without power and reporting homes down to 37 degrees inside. A couple hundred thousand people are sitting in thier cars in the driveway for heat and power. We are hardly prepers but we keep several weeks of food and water. Some people had to go out for food. Harrowing tales of spinning cars and lines a couple hundred yards long in 10 degree weather to get food at HEB (~our Publix) - when they were open.

Most states have sharing agreements with other states. Texas does not. Because it would cost more like it does in other states and they would be subject to the same regulations as other states. So their plan is if demand is high just switch people off. In Austin 60% never lost power because they are in a zone that has a hospital or emergency services. So the other 40% are just sacrificed. People are pised downtown was lit up while people are freezing. Airport closed. They finally had to switch off manufacturing. Which can damage products and plants. They may have blacked out some emergency services at some point.

I think a lot of people dont think this is a good plan.

Everything in the refrigerator and freezer went bad. Wireless internet was almost unusable with a million people trying to use it. Not being able to work was the worst part. For my projects and the wallet. But my client is taking it well. They have issues too. We had food, water and some semblance of heat and a lot of external batteries. I am OK with no TV. We ate the best of our thawing food by candlelight dinner. Most of the unchosen have it far worse.

User avatar 41.Panamag8or » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:44 pm

A friend in Denton posted a pic of his kitchen faucet, which he left dripping. It froze.

42.Juggs » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:49 pm

My parents have officially moved to their cabin in Tenn. The day they get there (last week), their air handler dies and a snow storm hits. No delivery can get to where they are from ice and snow. A small free standing wood fireplace and some space heaters is all they have. Doesn't do a lot of good in a big big house and 20 degree weather :lol:

43.evil gator » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:51 pm

My parents have officially moved to their cabin in Tenn. The day they get there (last week), their air handler dies and a snow storm hits. No delivery can get to where they are from ice and snow. A small free standing wood fireplace and some space heaters is all they have. Doesn't do a lot of good in a big big house and 20 degree weather :lol:
They picked a bad time to move it would seem

44.Juggs » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:00 pm

They picked a bad time to move it would seem
Yep. But when you put your house on the market and you immediately get a cash buyer who doesn't even try to lower you from your asking price, already on the high end, and wants a quick closing.....timing be damned, you take that.

45.evil gator » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:04 pm

So what’s their heat source they need delivered - heating oil?

46.Juggs » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:08 pm

So what’s their heat source they need delivered - heating oil?
Oh they have a full natural gas tank. It's the mechanical equipment (HVAC) that died.

User avatar 47.MoralityULack » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:40 am

Somebody posted in some social media account my wife views....

Blackouts are like chopped. You have 15 minutes to make a meal from soup, hot dogs, pineapple and hot sauce. Time starts now.

User avatar 48.Panamag8or » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:40 am

:lol:
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else