future of working from home

Moderators: Irish Mike, shutout, Jabbroni

1.evil gator » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:48 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 142830001/

this survey says 30% want to continue after everyone is vaccinated etc.

What do you guys I want? RIght now, I want to work a max of two days in the office a week, ideally just one.

although I might change my mind. I feel like if she had to see me every day, our meetings planner would have scheduled the webinars sooner than two weeks in advance.

User avatar 2.RIP » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:54 pm

Only 30%? I don't get why anyone would want to go back to wasting hours of their lives going to/from work. I'm in it for life if they'll let me.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

3.lil numby » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:56 pm

Only 30%? I don't get why anyone would want to go back to wasting hours of their lives going to/from work. I'm in it for life if they'll let me.
there's the social aspect of it and for some people living and working in the same place 24/7 isn't that appealing

4.evil gator » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:05 pm

there's the social aspect of it and for some people living and working in the same place 24/7 isn't that appealing
yeah I can also see for younger workers or those new to an office or industry or who need/like lots of in person collaboration and direction it makes sense.

for me I do my own thing with minimal interaction with those in my office (but lots in other offices remotely already)

previously I working in the office 95% of the time and it absolutely was unnecessary and counterproductive

5.Tommy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:07 pm

My work from home will go back to normal, I'm either traveling or working from home. Pre-Rona, I was traveling 2-3 wks a month, now less than 1/2 that. Being in sales, covering the US, I definitely will need to be back beating the streets, especially that I'm developing 2 new product lines, hemp and foliage (house plants). With a 10yo old being home schooled now, a wonder no one here has been murdered (me).

6.evil gator » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:13 pm

good point about kids not being in schools - I know that's the reason some of my coworkers go back to the office when they don't need to (so their spouse will have to babysit and they can get work done).

User avatar 7.RIP » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:40 pm

Yeah I guess. I'm just fine being a hermit so it's hard for me to relate. 30% still seems low.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

User avatar 8.99inNC » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:41 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 142830001/

this survey says 30% want to continue after everyone is vaccinated etc.

What do you guys I want? RIght now, I want to work a max of two days in the office a week, ideally just one.

although I might change my mind. I feel like if she had to see me every day, our meetings planner would have scheduled the webinars sooner than two weeks in advance.
I want 2 days per week at most as well.

User avatar 9.Panamag8or » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:47 pm

No choice. My job requires in-person visits to remote clinics.

10.Juggs » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:48 pm

Yeah I guess. I'm just fine being a hermit so it's hard for me to relate. 30% still seems low.
I dunno, I think you underestimate how many people fall into one of these 2 categories:

1) Can't wait to get away from the kids and wife for a while.

2) Are constantly alone and need social interaction even if it's faux friendship with coworkers.

User avatar 11.RIP » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:08 pm

Maybe I am juggsy. Maybe I am.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

12.9508 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:08 pm

I’ve been informed I will be part time WFH part in office eventually. But for the time being stay home.
9508 (Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn)

User avatar 13.Jabbroni » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:43 pm

I like going to work while nobody is there. Not sure where that fits in this.
Jabbs (Stink/Stank/Stunk)

14.52:20 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:50 pm

I dunno, I think you underestimate how many people fall into one of these 2 categories:

2) Are constantly alone and need social interaction even if it's faux friendship with coworkers.
Yeah, I think there a lot of admin type people that really want to be in the office and around others. The ones that want to stay in a meeting as long as possible, schedule as many as possible, and the people that are into office parties and stuff. They need the community feel. Nothing wrong with it, but pretty opposite of me.

User avatar 15.MoralityULack » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:59 pm

I dont think I have had to be full time at a clients office for the last 25 years. There were a variety of compromises, pimps office, short term classes, etc, but I have worked mostly from home starting about 15 years ago. I usually go to the client site one week out of every 4-6.

Early on I had one of my favorite clients which I visited every 6 weeks for almost 3 years go on a money saving crusade and I didnt have to go in at all. I was thrilled. The actual work got done faster. But I lost control of the politics and things went to shit. Gotta be there for the gossip. Know whos in or out. Who is camped in the VPs office. Know who is backstabbing you. Nobody is going to email or call you to tell you that. You have to plop down at somebody's desk for a private briefing. Since that I have had it written in to my contracts the client has to host me every month. Though I am mostly happy to let that slide a bit as long as things are going well.

I have a monthly deal at my current client but havent been there since March. Its a great place and I am not more concerned than usual. Still, when I get my shot I will be going back monthly.

16.Juggs » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:34 am

Yeah, I think there a lot of admin type people that really want to be in the office and around others. The ones that want to stay in a meeting as long as possible, schedule as many as possible, and the people that are into office parties and stuff. They need the community feel. Nothing wrong with it, but pretty opposite of me.
Ugh, those types :lol:

While the isolation sucks a little, I love working from home and that isn't changing. Especially since I was working from home before COVID :lol:

17.brown » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:24 pm

Depends-
How comfortable are all of you with telemedicine?

18.evil gator » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:48 pm

yeah well said, agree. I work for extroverted lobbyists who don't really understand how I can actually like my team, but not want to be around them all the time. its not aloofness, people just wear me out.

User avatar 19.MoralityULack » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:28 pm

Depends-
How comfortable are all of you with telemedicine?
I have had a couple such visits with my doctor. I can take my own O2 and BP. Better infact, because I sit in a comfortable chair for 5 minutes with my feet on the floor and rest my arm at heart level instead of while I am being hearded into the torture chamber. He can see a stye or mole. If I need tests I get them at some lab anyway. I had vertigo once he solved with manipulation. Thats about the only case I can think of where an in person visit was necessary. And thats not because I dont value my doctors advice, I have the best doctor ever.

20.Juggs » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:58 pm

I'm fine with televisits. All depends on the reason for going. I'll likely be doing one soon if I can't resolve this f'n carpal tunnel at home.

21.evil gator » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:10 pm

yeah it makes sense if someone is unlikely to go otherwise - can't get a mammogram or whatnot via video.

and obviously some jobs aren't going to make sense from home - this was more directed at people who do relatively self-directed writing, analysis and other computer shit that they can do from home but have mostly done at an office prior to 2020.

22.Supes44444 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:57 pm

Oh, I may never go back to working in an office setting again. I love working from home.

User avatar 23.DocZaius » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:15 pm

I'd rather work in the office, away from the wife and kids. Too much distraction at home.

24.evil gator » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:20 pm

Oh, I may never go back to working in an office setting again. I love working from home.
do you have an office for meeting clients and will you keep that?

25.Supes44444 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 pm

do you have an office for meeting clients and will you keep that?
I meet clients at a restaurant usually. It works out well. If it's a bigger case, I have other offices I can meet at if needed.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else