RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

User avatar 2.Irish Mike » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:42 pm

Paging Supes and Juggs..

3.evil gator » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:55 pm

Opinel

4.9508 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:19 am

Ginsu

(Evs has made an excellent suggestion)
9508 (Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn)

User avatar 5.RIP » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:26 am

Ginsu

(Evs has made an excellent suggestion)
I do have several bricks that need halving...followed directly by thin sliced tomatoes.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

User avatar 6.Panamag8or » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:22 am

I just buy ceramic. They're cheap, sharp as shit and I can just replace them when they get dull.

7.Tommy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:32 am

Whatever’s decent quality and on sale

8.Juggs » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:34 am

Depends on how much you cook and if you take good care of your stuff. Shun is fantastic, but you have to be careful with Jap steel. Wait until true back Friday and you can probably get one for around $100.

If you spend a little money on a good knife, you also have to invest equally in a good cutting board though. Maple or acacia, keep it waxed and oiled, etc. I've seen retards use a $150 knife on a plastic or glass cutting board and then complain about the knife :facepalm:

User avatar 9.angrigator » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:07 pm

Or you could buy one of my friends end grain heart pine River recovered cutting board...

10.evil gator » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:15 pm

that's too nice to cut on

User avatar 11.angrigator » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:45 pm

I’ve got three. You can’t hurt them.

User avatar 12.RIP » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Depends on how much you cook and if you take good care of your stuff. Shun is fantastic, but you have to be careful with Jap steel. Wait until true back Friday and you can probably get one for around $100.

If you spend a little money on a good knife, you also have to invest equally in a good cutting board though. Maple or acacia, keep it waxed and oiled, etc. I've seen retards use a $150 knife on a plastic or glass cutting board and then complain about the knife :facepalm:
I cook very frequently. I haven't eaten anything not prepared in my house since May. I am pretty bad about taking care of stuff though. I usually start out gung-ho and then taper to the bare minimum after a while. I just want something better than the knife from my shitty Cuisinart set (and my Mom asked me for Christmas present ideas).
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

13.Juggs » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:22 pm

And it shouldn't be. It's beautiful, but pine is a very soft wood and also porous. Which means even with proper treatment, you'll score the hell out of it with your knife and it's also far more likely to harbor bacteria.

Hardwoods like walnut or olive will hold up much better, but are a little rougher on the knives. I go with middle of the road, I have an acacia and a maple cutting board. Holds up well, not as porous, is easy enough on the knives I don't have to hone them constantly.

14.Juggs » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:24 pm

I cook very frequently. I haven't eaten anything not prepared in my house since May. I am pretty bad about taking care of stuff though. I usually start out gung-ho and then taper to the bare minimum after a while. I just want something better than the knife from my shitty Cuisinart set (and my Mom asked me for Christmas present ideas).
Yeah, Shun's are insanely sharp and well balanced. But if you're careless with them, you can chip the blade easier than a german or US steel. Regardless of the knife, if you get a good one, you still need to hand wash and dry it when done using. A good cutting board is much more maintenance than the knife

User avatar 15.RIP » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:58 pm

Yeah, Shun's are insanely sharp and well balanced. But if you're careless with them, you can chip the blade easier than a german or US steel. Regardless of the knife, if you get a good one, you still need to hand wash and dry it when done using. A good cutting board is much more maintenance than the knife
Ah ok. In that case I'm sure I'll be fine. I hand wash/dry everything already (our dishwasher broke years ago and we just wash by hand now). The cutting board maintenance is where I would probably slack off eventually.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

16.Juggs » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:59 pm

Ah ok. In that case I'm sure I'll be fine. I hand wash/dry everything already (our dishwasher broke years ago and we just wash by hand now). The cutting board maintenance is where I would probably slack off eventually.
It's not that bad. Once a month, oil and wax it.

User avatar 17.RIP » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:00 pm

Hmm. I think I could easily stick to that.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

18.Juggs » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Hmm. I think I could easily stick to that.
I have shit like that as a monthly reminder on my phone. It takes a day for the oil to soak in and another for the wax, so it's basically unusable for a couple days. Just do it when you have leftovers and it's no biggie.

User avatar 19.Panamag8or » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:05 pm

And it shouldn't be. It's beautiful, but pine is a very soft wood and also porous. Which means even with proper treatment, you'll score the hell out of it with your knife and it's also far more likely to harbor bacteria.

Hardwoods like walnut or olive will hold up much better, but are a little rougher on the knives. I go with middle of the road, I have an acacia and a maple cutting board. Holds up well, not as porous, is easy enough on the knives I don't have to hone them constantly.
Dude, that stuff is so mineralized from sitting on the bottom of a river for 100 years, it's hard as a rock. Plus it was real old-growth stuff, not the shitty farmed pine you see today. I turned a bunch of it on the lathe, and carbide tools are the only thing that would cut it.

20.evil gator » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:08 pm

jugs you don't argue with pan about turning wood on a lathe and live to talk about it

User avatar 21.Panamag8or » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:09 pm

YEAH!

22.PG. » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:32 pm

Shop smack.

23.shutout » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:31 pm

If you want a "real knife" that'll take a razor edge and a beating, but that you need to sharpen monthly, the Mercer genesis/renaissance lines are what you want. The difference is in the handle, one is classic squared off, the other is grippy.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary- ... iatesce-20

24.Supes44444 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:50 pm

Shun 8" or Global 8". The only thing is you might not like the Global handle. You can always go Henckel as well. Now, if you don't want to spend a lot on it, you can go with Famcute for a decent $50 chef knife. You can never go wrong with a Wusthof either. I have several different ones. My favorite is one I ordered from Vertoku.com. Not sure why it's my favorite. Might be the weight and feel of it.

25.Supes44444 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:51 pm

If you want a "real knife" that'll take a razor edge and a beating, but that you need to sharpen monthly, the Mercer genesis/renaissance lines are what you want. The difference is in the handle, one is classic squared off, the other is grippy.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary- ... iatesce-20
Good knives. I almost threw that out there.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else