Neil Peart

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

1.GFY » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:36 pm

2.evil gator » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:37 pm

RUSH sucks/sucked

3.shutout » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:41 pm

ugh I'm gonna have to avoid facebook for a fucking week.

User avatar 4.MoralityULack » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:42 pm

RUSH sucks/sucked

Another thing we agree on.

Though I like the intro riff to working man.
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

User avatar 5.Panamag8or » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Not devastated, but, coming up as a drummer, he was a pretty big deal in my world.

6.rampart » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:50 pm

i like Rush and Peart was a badass

7.9508 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:50 pm

Mary will be inconsolable

User avatar 8.Irish Mike » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Mary will be inconsolable
Maybe the news won't reach him while he's on walkabout.

9.Denver-Gator » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:03 am

i like Rush and Peart was a badass
Correct....

I don't get the Rush hatred. Three pretty damn good musicians who made it sound like much more than a 3-piece band.

User avatar 10.MoralityULack » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:37 am

Its the "modern" sound. Synthesizers effects and echoey drum sound. I dont like 80s ZZ Top for the same reason.

I was reading something about the deluxe edition of Exile On Main Street which is my favorite album. The writer said the original sound was a big part of the mystique. The sound was as slurred as the words. It sonically conveys that feeling of being the last half dozen fucked up partiers at 5am. You clean it up and make it crisp and it sucks.
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

11.Fishon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:02 am

I don't like all of Rush's stuff, but really enjoy a few of their songs immensely and respect all 3 as incredible musicians. Peart was a HUGE influence on a lot of the drummers I enjoyed growing up

12.Denver-Gator » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:32 am

Its the "modern" sound. Synthesizers effects and echoey drum sound. I dont like 80s ZZ Top for the same reason.

I was reading something about the deluxe edition of Exile On Main Street which is my favorite album. The writer said the original sound was a big part of the mystique. The sound was as slurred as the words. It sonically conveys that feeling of being the last half dozen fucked up partiers at 5am. You clean it up and make it crisp and it sucks.
To me, it's just different. I saw Rush a few times in the early 80s. They were as precise in concert as their albums. Regardless, they were great and the sound was real. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate how the Stones, Zep, etc played music too.

User avatar 13.DocZaius » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:01 pm

He had a big drum kit.

14.9508 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:49 am

Saw them in Jax in college. Primus was the opening act. Primus came out did a 35 minute set, played the two songs people knew. Went off stage, 20% of the audience got up and left.

Huge mistake IMO. Rush came out and killed it for 2.5 hours. Great show. Lots of fun.

User avatar 15.evs' Boytoy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:07 am

Saw them in Jax in college. Primus was the opening act. Primus came out did a 35 minute set, played the two songs people knew. Went off stage, 20% of the audience got up and left.

Huge mistake IMO. Rush came out and killed it for 2.5 hours. Great show. Lots of fun.
I saw Primus open for Tool a few years back and their set was really short, so it seemed. I was mildly intoxicated, so my perception could be way off. I never searched the set list like I do with bands that I'm actually going to see.

16.9508 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:11 am

I saw Primus open for Tool a few years back and their set was really short, so it seemed. I was mildly intoxicated, so my perception could be way off. I never searched the set list like I do with bands that I'm actually going to see.
I mean who doesn’t love “Wynona had a big brown beaver.”

User avatar 17.evs' Boytoy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:18 am

Wyonna?

User avatar 18.evs' Boytoy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:21 am

Maybe her big brown beaver?

19.9508 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:22 am

Wyonna?
Wynona’er

User avatar 20.evs' Boytoy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:53 am

basketball is on.

User avatar 21.angrigator » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:21 pm

basketball is on.
Sadly yes it was ...

22.Juggs » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:04 pm

RUSH sucks/sucked
agree

User avatar 23.MoralityULack » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:28 am

I dont twitter but I find Jason Isbell's account pretty entertaining and check it out occasionaly.

Jason Isbell Retweeted
@jonwurster

I can’t help thinking he’s chuckling somewhere knowing hundreds of bands with gigs tonight are trying to figure out “an easy Rush song.”

Also unrelated from that page.....

Jason Isbell added

That’s how you dispose of a body in Alabama

Jason Isbell Retweeted
@nypost
Man allegedly doused woman in ranch dressing during argument

24.Denver-Gator » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:56 pm

Yeah, they toured Florida a lot in the 80s, I think I saw them 4-5 times including once where I got mildly tear gassed at the Hollywood Sportatorium

User avatar 25.99inNC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Was never a big Rush fan. I do know that he was revered as a drummer, though.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else