are fortran and basic still a thing

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

1.evil gator » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:54 pm

seeing this on a resume I'm reviewing.

User avatar 2.Panamag8or » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:56 pm

I'm guessing this board is still based on it.

User avatar 3.Irish Mike » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:57 pm

Ask VD.

4.evil gator » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:00 pm

I'm guessing this board is still based on it.
ah okay, thanks!

5.Denver-Gator » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:05 pm

FORTRAN is pretty obsolete. But I imagine there are some legacy systems that still use it. I'd think it's pretty inconsequential for just about any job today.

Basic, in particular Visual Basic, is still used in Microsoft products for macros and other stuff.

I guess it depends upon what the job is for. If it's being an IT dude, I would say bringing these up are fairly inconsequential. If it's for someone you want to do stuff with MS Office tools, it's probably applicable.

6.evil gator » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:07 pm

FORTRAN is pretty obsolete. But I imagine there are some legacy systems that still use it. I'd think it's pretty inconsequential for just about any job today.

Basic, in particular Visual Basic, is still used in Microsoft products for macros and other stuff.

I guess it depends upon what the job is for. If it's being an IT dude, I would say bringing these up are fairly inconsequential. If it's for someone you want to do stuff with MS Office tools, it's probably applicable.
helpful thanks!

User avatar 7.99inNC » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:11 pm

Like does the person have "I'm a basic bitch" on their resume? Whatever.

8.evil gator » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:15 pm

I can't live with competition from someone whose DNA test says they are a bad bitch you know

I do enjoy getting to review and rate resumes from people who can do shit I have no idea about

9.GFY » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:26 pm

The USNavy still pay MS millions each year to support and update XP. :lol:

User avatar 10.99inNC » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:58 pm

I can't live with competition from someone whose DNA test says they are a bad bitch you know

I do enjoy getting to review and rate resumes from people who can do shit I have no idea about
Ha, same. It makes me feel dumb and I enjoy it at the same time.

11.evil gator » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:13 pm

randel? what kind of fucking name is that? you're out.

User avatar 12.MoralityULack » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:14 pm

I had a Fortran class in college because I was in engineering. It was used in engineering applications 40 years ago. Its not like it was in an order entry app that works so nobody bothers to change it. It was used to do math which I have to think has evolved. I have never seen it in the real world. Maybe the federal government used it more.

VB was big in the late 80s early 90s when everybody thought desktop apps were a good idea. People glued apps together with it, wrote plug ins for excel, etc. Probably all kinds of klugey amateur apps floating around in that still. In small shops especially. I am a VB expert - meaning I wrote a few klugy abominations in it for mainframe clients trying to make PCs work when it was in style.
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

User avatar 13.MoralityULack » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:27 pm

Ask VD.
Its a little like being an archeologist. Ancient languages.
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

14.PG. » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:08 pm

Cobol'd

User avatar 15.MoralityULack » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:39 pm

Cobol'd
I havent done Cobol since the 80s. But it is still big. It wont go away in our lifetimes.

You can have the ugly COBOL app that runs fast with a 100+ man years of customization added in over the decades to handle every nuance of how you want to do business.

Or you can buy new hardware and have a slower java app out of the box that you have to change your processes to adapt to its way for doing business for $50-100M (they will tell you $20-30M) and it probably takes 4-5 years to get off (they will tell you 18 months). Of course you can always customize it to be like the Cobol app in another 4 or 5 years for another $100M.

User avatar 16.99inNC » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 pm

I'm not ashamed to admit this. In 2004, when I was working for a small company in South Florida, we had a candidate who went to FSU. He bragged about FSU "stealing the win from us in the Swamp." I asked him 2 questions and then said, "this is probably not a good fit."

8-)

17.evil gator » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:29 pm

I'm not ashamed to admit this. In 2004, when I was working for a small company in South Florida, we had a candidate who went to FSU. He bragged about FSU "stealing the win from us in the Swamp." I asked him 2 questions and then said, "this is probably not a good fit."

8-)
ahahaha that's effing awesome.

On a related note, my husband once almost got into a punching match with a Miami grad in a work parking garage.

User avatar 18.99inNC » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:33 pm

8-)

On a related note, my husband once almost got into a punching match with a Miami grad in a work parking garage.
I can generally put aside my collegiate grudges in a professional setting. But don't fucking bring up the "Swindle in the Swamp" when it's only months old, you fucking shit heel.

19.evil gator » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 pm

8-)

I can generally put aside my collegiate grudges in a professional setting. But don't fucking bring up the "Swindle in the Swamp" when it's only months old, you fucking shit heel.
I think you showed remarkable restraint, I would have called security and or pulled a knife

User avatar 20.99inNC » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 pm

I think you showed remarkable restraint, I would have called security and or pulled a knife
My one regret is not telling him to "get the fuck out of my face."

21.evil gator » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:44 pm

"I hope you needed this job, nole. I hope now you and your fucking whole family starves"

User avatar 22.99inNC » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:45 pm

"I hope you needed this job, nole. I hope now you and your fucking whole family starves"
Fuck, Evs! Where the fuck were you that damn day??!?

23.evil gator » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:46 pm

I'm all wound up and just waiting for someone to not put the divider on the grocery conveyor because someone's gonna die

User avatar 24.99inNC » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:52 pm

:numby:
I'm all wound up and just waiting for someone to not put the divider on the grocery conveyor because someone's gonna die
I will tell you this. This week, someone I don't know got on the elevator before me and a young lady could get it and I said as I walked out, "Oh, today must be no manners day."

He gave me a stare and she laughed out loud and said, "that was awesome."

:date:

25.shutout » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:58 pm

y'all need to drink more. a lot more.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else