non football viewing consumption medias - Episode 2

Moderators: Irish Mike, shutout, Jabbroni

User avatar 1126.99inNC » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:59 pm

I just watched 5 different ones :lol: This one being my fav
this is the one I was referencing...very cool

1127.Fishon » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:24 pm

I just watched 5 different ones :lol: This one being my fav
this is fn awesome. I loved the subtitles: Metal loop! Electronic Door!

I love all the western themes that the show portrays. you have the bounty hunter, man with no name/face, the "good" ex-soldiers who help protect a small village from evil mercenaries, it goes on and on. Then there was the more samurai story with the Ahsoka episode. they are really putting a lot of thought and effort into this and it shows

1128.Fishon » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:35 pm

Favreau quotes and discussing how Kathleen Kennedy tried to fuck it all up, if you want to spend 8 nerdy minutes

yeah interesting stuff about kennedy seemingly wanting to sink the star wars franchise.

on another note, if you took a drink every time this dude says, "actually" you will be in the hospital after this 10 minute video

1129.Juggs » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:54 pm

Most of the guys who do these youtube channels, particularly nerdy ones, have horrendous public speaking skills. One of my favorites to do is be the "um" counter.

1130.rampart » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:42 pm

I can handle it as long as they don’t say “methinks”. One of those and I’m done.

1131.rampart » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:31 am

This great so far

1132.rampart » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:30 pm

This great so far
Just binged through the 1st season in 2 days. Definitely worth it. Plus there’s something for the entire tgb spectrum, blood, guts, violence, cannibals, titties, and exquisitely executed period costumes

User avatar 1133.Irish Mike » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:08 pm

The History of Swear Words with Nic Cage.

Watched 3 episodes. It's OK. Could use a bit more history and less comedian commentary.

1134.rampart » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:13 pm

The History of Swear Words with Nic Cage.

Watched 3 episodes. It's OK. Could use a bit more history and less comedian commentary.
South Park already did it.

1135.Juggs » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:12 pm

Worth the listen, Favreau teasers, including we'll see Palpatine in Mando S3 and we'll see a lot more of Luke in the Star Wars universe and it'll change how we view him. Already hyping up the new trilogy they're writing

1136.evil gator » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:27 pm

I am rewatching Luther and it’s so great. He confronts an armed serial killer w only a Gideon bible and wins! I do wonder why the British lady cops were wearing vests in 2010.

Also crime shows really show what pussies brits are: a guy can go on a murderous rampage in a crowd, w a hammer and squirt gun w acid and kill w no one taking him out.

User avatar 1137.RIP » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:32 pm

I'm currently going down the "Tribal Pakistani people trying foreign food" rabbit hole.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

1138.gatorbreeze » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:06 pm

thoughts and prayers.
" A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." Agent Kay

User avatar 1139.Irish Mike » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:23 pm

WandaVision.

I don't know. Hope it goes somewhere but right now kinda meh.

Dr. Sleep

OK movie. Changed quite a bit from the book, but still ok.

User avatar 1140.DocZaius » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:06 am

WandaVision.

Dr. Sleep

I just don’t get WandaVision. I mean, I know what they’re trying to do, but I don’t really want to see a less funny and engaging version of Pleasantville. It really needs to pick up the pace.

I liked Dr. Sleep, but I never read the book. The villainess was pretty hot.

User avatar 1141.RIP » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:08 am

Yeah she had pretty big cans.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

1142.evil gator » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:46 pm

WandaVision.

Dr. Sleep

I just don’t get WandaVision. I mean, I know what they’re trying to do, but I don’t really want to see a less funny and engaging version of Pleasantville. It really needs to pick up the pace.

I liked Dr. Sleep, but I never read the book. The villainess was pretty hot.
ha yeah based on just the stills it looks like Pleasantville and I didn't bother.

1143.9508 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Supposedly it going to set up the next Dr. Strange movie.
9508 (Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn)

User avatar 1144.DocZaius » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:47 am

Yeah, I don't see how anyone can knock the first few seasons of Vikings. I wouldn't compare it to GoT though. The writer/creator or whatever he was is an actual history guy who wanted to take the stories and history of his ancestry. Admitting full well he had to play loose with facts, mish mash shit together, etc. to make it something people would actually watch.

But once Ragnar died, the show went downhill. Bjorn was a good character and the actor did fine, but the rest of the Brothers were a disaster. Side note, his death and final words in the show were pretty accurate on how the real Ragnar died/said. If scholars can agree that Ragnar was in fact a real person and all his deeds were not a culmination of various people. Kinda like King Arthur. Cool story bro
Yeah, most of what people know about that era in Danish/Norse history is from the different sagas passed down, which means the writer had a lot of freedom to embellish. I believe even Bjorn is considered semi-legendary. The 3 brothers who were part of the Great Heathen Army were historical, but the show may them extremely cartoonish, especially Ivar. There were certain cultural moments (like Jol - aka Yule) that were probably the best parts of the show. The whole melodrama with Alfred's parentage was ridiculous, which sucked because this was the first show I've seen that paid any attention to Ecbert and Aethelwulf.

I could be wrong, but my understanding was that this series was meant to tell the story of the Viking age and probably would have been better off as an anthology series with a different setting and cast each season. They sort of struck gold with the character of Ragnar and probably kept him around longer than intended which ended up messing everything else up. They also messed up by making Rollo a brother of Ragnar and placing him about 120 years before the real Rollo existed. I mean that was another great character that would have been better off with his own story completely separate from Ragnar's.

I think Vikings could've been a really great series and they dropped the ball.
Agree about Rollo. Overall, Rollo was really irrelevant to the story. It added some drama, but didn't change any aspect of what Ragnar ultimately did. There was no reason to fuck up the time line by including him.

They had to Hollywood it up to get people hooked and add all that melodrama, otherwise Vikings would have been just another show no one watches except for history junkies like me. Unless True Detectives or some such anthology series style show had already come out to copy that format. Then they could have done a season or two of Ragnar. Then jumped a story about Bjorn, another for Rollo, then another for the stories of Ragnar's historical sons. It seems to be accepted historically that Ragnar's final words as he allegedly died from snakes was, "The little piggies will squeal when they hear about the death of the old boar". The king didn't realize that was a warning about his sons getting revenge, which they did, both historically (mostly accepted) and in the show.

As far as the show goes, I'm glad Ivar killed that faggy brother of his. Terrible casting on that brother.

If it was HBO that did Vikings instead of the History channel....they could have really done an amazing show.
I just finished Vikings and I think Season 6 was pretty good - better than Season 5 for sure.
SpoilerShow
They sure killed a lot of little kids in Season 6, though.

User avatar 1145.DocZaius » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:36 am

I rented Tenet. Watched it. Not sure I understood it.

User avatar 1146.RIP » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:52 am

Yeah. Its never good when you have to read explanation articles to get it. It looked cool though.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

User avatar 1147.DocZaius » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:04 am

Nolan makes great original movies but this one was a little too... well, I don’t want to say complicated because nothing beats Primer for a complicated time travel plot, and I understood the general premise. But it seems like he took a neat idea and made it more convoluted than it needed to be.

User avatar 1148.Irish Mike » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:05 am

Nolan makes great original movies but this one was a little too... well, I don’t want to say complicated because nothing beats Primer for a complicated time travel plot, and I understood the general premise. But it seems like he took a neat idea and made it more convoluted than it needed to be.
I read in another review the this is the first movie Christopher Nolan wrote without his brother. Maybe his brother was more important to Chris's success than he knew.

1149.rampart » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:14 am

Yeah. Its never good when you have to read explanation articles to get it. It looked cool though.
If it’s more tedious than inception then I might pass. Inception was annoying as hell, and I like almost everything else Nolan has done

User avatar 1150.RIP » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:17 am

It is much more tedious. Its like if Inception fucked a tax code book.
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else