science thread

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

1.evil gator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:44 pm

no one knows if red meat is bad for you or not -as is the case with lots of food studies

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-the ... meat-study

2.Juggs » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:46 pm

Drives me nuts to see dieters say the only way to lose weight is to eliminate ate all carbs and red meat.

Just eat whole foods and you wont be a fat fuck.

User avatar 3.Irish Mike » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:50 pm

Drives me nuts to see dieters say the only way to lose weight is to eliminate ate all carbs and red meat.

Or move once on a while. With the amount of beer i drink and some of my food choices i should be 300lbs. I exercise just enough to hover around 210. :lol:

User avatar 4.DocZaius » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:50 pm

I don't know about red meat in particular, but for decades we were told to eat a high-carbohydrate, low-fat, low-cholesterol diet. I think the evidence is mounting in favor of avoiding carbohydrates and sugars, increasing our intake of protein, fat and fiber, and getting more exercise.

5.Tommy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:52 pm

This, and like fat mike said, get off your ass and move some.

6.evil gator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:00 pm

I don't know about red meat in particular, but for decades we were told to eat a high-carbohydrate, low-fat, low-cholesterol diet. I think the evidence is mounting in favor of avoiding carbohydrates and sugars, increasing our intake of protein, fat and fiber, and getting more exercise.
not reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllly...certainly getting more exercise is important for health and eating fiber and less processed foods is probably good, and cutting carbs and increasing protein can help some lose weight (temporarily at least), there's not really a set diet with a lot of evidence that works for everyone.

definitely untrue are the "miracle" foods and "terrible" food lists that people love, generally based on one limited study or some tribal lore.

7.evil gator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:01 pm

I can't remember a week when I haven't gotten at least 2.5 hours of exercise and I am lazy AF, move people

8.Denver-Gator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:02 pm

That's effectively what I do now and seem to be doing fine. Except for the beer and other alcohol

User avatar 9.evs' Boytoy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:03 pm

I moved my PC mouse 3.5 miles yesterday. I'm good.

10.evil gator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:04 pm

I moved my PC mouse 3.5 miles yesterday. I'm good.
fitbitmakesusfat

11.evil gator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:05 pm

speaking of, kohlrabi noodles are fantastic

12.Juggs » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Depends on the carbs. Your body needs carbs, they just need to be whole grains or in the form of beans, etc.

It's the processed/refined carbs they've been stripped of fiber that are the problem. Potatoes are fine. Quinoa is fine. Brown rice is fine. Etc

13.evil gator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:32 pm

14.9508 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:33 pm

no one is gonna mention portion control?

15.evil gator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:44 pm

look if its from whole foods I can eat as much as I want!

User avatar 16.Irish Mike » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:45 pm

The Mason Jar Method!

17.Denver-Gator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:19 pm

Depends on the carbs. Your body needs carbs, they just need to be whole grains or in the form of beans, etc.

It's the processed/refined carbs they've been stripped of fiber that are the problem. Potatoes are fine. Quinoa is fine. Brown rice is fine. Etc
Eliminate sweet tea.....

User avatar 18.evs' Boytoy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:20 pm

Eliminate sweet tea.....
When you pry it out of my cold, dead hands! F'n heathen!

User avatar 19.ufgators68 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:31 pm

Eliminate sweet tea.....
You crossing a line now.

20.evil gator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:33 pm

yeah I don't think sugar is a big deal for some. Obviously if you are diabetic its bad and its empty calories if you're fat, but its not the poison its made out to be.

I have low blood sugar so it makes me feel like shit to eat very much of it without anything else.

User avatar 21.angrigator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:33 pm

I go half and half at restaurants and I feel that’s pushing it a little to far sometimes.

22.Juggs » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:42 pm

Well sure, but I'd you're eating whole grains you haven't stripped out the fiber and should get full faster and stay longer. I stuff myself and barely go over 2000 calories most days.

Eating out day is for sweet tea.

User avatar 23.Panamag8or » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:47 pm

I go half and half at restaurants and I feel that’s pushing it a little to far sometimes.
Unsweet with yellow packets.
I am eating all kinds of bad shit now, but the one thing I have stuck to, since Atkins started in my house two years ago... I haven't had a sugar-sweetened drink. That sucks, because I love cane sugar sodas and mexicokes.

User avatar 24.Cus » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Eliminate sweet tea.....
F you you f f'ing f'r!!!

User avatar 25.Irish Mike » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:55 pm

Eliminate sweet tea.....
When you pry it out of my cold, dead hands! F'n heathen!
He's gone full commie.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else