Pellet griltards

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 1.Panamag8or » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:45 pm

Just ordered one of these. A friend has one and it puts out some good meat.

On sale for $199

https://www.ruralking.com/217-grilling- ... xcQAvD_BwE

2.Juggs » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:41 pm

My experience with a highly rated Camp Chef was that it sucked ass, even with an smoke tube added

User avatar 3.Panamag8or » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:55 pm

Sorry 'bout that, chief.

User avatar 4.evs' Boytoy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:16 pm

That thing needs new rims.

5.GFY » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:14 am

Looks like a POS Chinese ripoff of a Traeger.

User avatar 6.MoralityULack » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:11 am

Hopefully you saw this coming.

Looks good to me. :beatsme:
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

7.Tommy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:10 am

Traeger is the shit.

8.Juggs » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Traeger is the shit.
It's the only brand I'd buy if I were considering another pellet smoker.

User avatar 9.Panamag8or » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:07 pm

So, pork tenderloins yesterday for the christening. Amazing. I marinated them in an orange blossom honey marinade, with a little raspberry jalapeno sauce in it, then added a rub with bourbon smoked sugar and some brown sugar and other spices. Enough of the marinade stuck to it to make a great glaze.

Today, a brisket flat, with a store-bought brisket rub. I didn't feel like cooking a 13 lb brisket for 19 hours, so I halved it, the flat should take less time. Hopefully, the rain holds off.

This set and forget shit rocks.
Attachments

20190727_170434.jpg
20190727_170434.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 170 times

10.GFY » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:41 pm

Does look good. Congrats pussy!

11.gatorbreeze » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Traeger is the shit.
We got ourselves one for Christmas. Absolutely love it. Have done beef, pork, chicken, fish and Vegetables. It meets our condo rules since the ignition source is electric and it heats up faster than a regular electric grill. Have got a pork loin marinating for later today.
Remember when you were young, broke and pissed off at the world? Well, you're older now.

12.Juggs » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:59 pm

Traeger is the shit.
We got ourselves one for Christmas. Absolutely love it. Have done beef, pork, chicken, fish and Vegetables. It meets our condo rules since the ignition source is electric and it heats up faster than a regular electric grill. Have got a pork loin marinating for later today.
I've only had BBQ from 2 pellet grills, neither Traeger, and neither had any kind of significant smoke flavor. You really couldn't even tell it was smoked. Didn't matter how expensive the pellets were. I still like the idea of it, but I'd have to try food from one before spending that kind of money.

People do win competitions with Traeger's, but I'm still skeptical. Judges at competitions have weird/stupid criteria and ideas of what is great BBQ. Even the competitors and so called experts say how they smoke for judges is not how they do it at home.

User avatar 13.ufgators68 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:06 pm

I've only had BBQ from 2 pellet grills, neither Traeger, and neither had any kind of significant smoke flavor. You really couldn't even tell it was smoked. Didn't matter how expensive the pellets were. I still like the idea of it, but I'd have to try food from one before spending that kind of money.

People do win competitions with Traeger's, but I'm still skeptical. Judges at competitions have weird/stupid criteria and ideas of what is great BBQ. Even the competitors and so called experts say how they smoke for judges is not how they do it at home.
My neighbor has a pellet grill (not sure of brand) and has the same lack of smoke flavor.

Competitions, especially small ones, are bullshit. I'm still a little pissed about the rib cook I competed in. Put out some of the best ribs that I have ever cooked and got 13th out of 15.

User avatar 14.Panamag8or » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Look at this smoke ring. Plenty of smoke flavor from my non-traeger.

20190728_193332.jpg
20190728_193332.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 114 times

User avatar 15.MoralityULack » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Thats good looking BBQ. Maybe BBQ for diner tonight.
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

16.evil gator » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:05 pm

that looks scrumptious

User avatar 17.ufgators68 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Kind of a light smoke ring for a brisket. How long was it on the smoker?

18.Juggs » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:28 pm

The smoke ring is little more than a chemical reaction caused by a variety of factors, from moisture to the type of wood. It's really not indicative of the flavor of the product. A huge misconception that, mostly, restaurants use as a selling point to people who think their food is going to be awesome because of a smoke ring they see on commericals.

User avatar 19.Irish Mike » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:48 pm

Adam Ruins Everything

User avatar 20.Panamag8or » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:52 pm

Kind of a light smoke ring for a brisket. How long was it on the smoker?
It was just the flat, so about 5 hrs. The thin end was almost all smoke ring.

User avatar 21.Panamag8or » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Adam Ruins Everything
If he knew that much about packet transfer, he could watch his TV.

User avatar 22.angrigator » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Looks dry.

User avatar 23.ufgators68 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:33 pm

My poor drum smoker is going to get a workout in a couple of weeks. My wife's family asked me to cook for their reunion. Two 15lb briskets and two big boston butts.

User avatar 24.Panamag8or » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:06 pm

Looks dry.
You look dry, old man. For my first brisket ever, it was good.

User avatar 25.angrigator » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:24 pm

Looks dry.
You look dry, old man. For my first brisket ever, it was good.
Just fucking with you. Everybody else was complementary and I didn’t want you getting a big head. :lol:
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else