RIP, MAD Magazine

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 1.Panamag8or » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Ceasing new material, leaving newsstands. F. I loved MAD

https://fortune.com/2019/07/04/mad-maga ... ting-down/

User avatar 2.Irish Mike » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:53 pm

I loved mad too. When I was 8. Haven't looked at an issue in 30 years.

User avatar 3.RIP » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:03 pm

I loved that magazine so much as a pre teen. RIP.

User avatar 4.Panamag8or » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:05 pm

I got a super cheap 1-year subscription a couple of years ago, just for shits and grins. It wasn't as funny as it used to be. Every cover was a Trump bash. I have a few old ones, including the one from my birth month (Batman TV series cover).

5.PG. » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:08 pm

Same as Mike.

All I really recall is Spy vs Spy and the page you fold just right in thirds to get a different picture.

User avatar 6.Panamag8or » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:10 pm

You people had a deprived childhood, then. Bet you never knew the joy of wacky packs, either.

User avatar 7.Irish Mike » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:20 pm

You people had a deprived childhood, then. Bet you never knew the joy of wacky packs, either.
Wacky packages. Get it right. Show some respect.

User avatar 8.Cus » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:36 pm

Wacky packages. Get it right. Show some respect.
For f'ing real. I was all about some WP's and Mad too.

9.GFY » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:27 pm

I used to subscribe to Hustler.

10.PG. » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:30 pm

Big surprise there.

11.evil gator » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:04 pm

other than have a mascot that could be drawn to resemble W for a one time gag, not sure what point it served in this century.

12.Juggs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:29 pm

I got a super cheap 1-year subscription a couple of years ago, just for shits and grins. It wasn't as funny as it used to be. Every cover was a Trump bash. I have a few old ones, including the one from my birth month (Batman TV series cover).
The Trump stuff irritates me. Every comedian, every tv show...and its never original. We get it, enough already.

13.JookJoint » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:20 pm

The Trump stuff irritates me. Every comedian, every tv show...and its never original. We get it, enough already.
but Juggs, his hair looks funny

14.evil gator » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:48 pm

but Juggs, his hair looks funny
lolz!

User avatar 15.Denver-Gator » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:48 pm

He keeps providing material though....

16.Juggs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:06 pm

For political pundits, not comedians and TV shows to rehash the same shit that has nothing to do with politics.

17.PG. » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Agree. Even my liberal friends are tired of the late night shows, especially SNL having one theme. Bash Trump.

User avatar 18.Denver-Gator » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 pm

For political pundits, not comedians and TV shows to rehash the same shit that has nothing to do with politics.
Come on now, taking over airports during the Revolutionary War. That's comedy gold!!!!

Stop apologizing for him, he constantly provides shit to make fun of.

19.Juggs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:29 pm

Come on now, taking over airports during the Revolutionary War. That's comedy gold!!!!

You're whiny and obsessive hate for trump prevents any reasonable opinion on the matter and it's clear as fucking day you haven't actually seen the type of shit I'm talking about.

I'm not apologizing for Trump, he's a cluster fuck. The comedians and TV writers attempted at humor regarding Trump is just typical liberal obsession that fails to be funny 90% of the time. It's not funny...its them making a political statement, nothing more. Comedians should get laughs, not cheers. And nobody is laughing during these, they're agreeing with politics. That's not entertainment.

20.9508 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:11 am

You're whiny and obsessive hate for trump prevents any reasonable opinion on the matter and it's clear as fucking day you haven't actually seen the type of shit I'm talking about.

I'm not apologizing for Trump, he's a cluster fuck. The comedians and TV writers attempted at humor regarding Trump is just typical liberal obsession that fails to be funny 90% of the time. It's not funny...its them making a political statement, nothing more. Comedians should get laughs, not cheers. And nobody is laughing during these, they're agreeing with politics. That's not entertainment.
Well, turn the tables here. What’s to like?

21.PG. » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:45 am

Did you read his post? He's not saying anything good about Trump. He said he's a cluster fuck in fact. Just that the constant bashing by comedians and tv shows is getting boring and unfunny.

22.9508 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:17 am

Did you read his post? He's not saying anything good about Trump. He said he's a cluster fuck in fact. Just that the constant bashing by comedians and tv shows is getting boring and unfunny.
So don’t watch em.

23.Juggs » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:22 am

And unoriginal. The worst crime among comedians is stealing jokes or loosely copying material. Well that's exactly what's happening. They're all saying the same shit. They're unfunny hacks and its tiring.

On a similar note, it's why most women comics are terrible, because the vast majority of their act is about sex. Nikki Glaser for example is really popular right now, but balf her personality is talking about her liking it in the ass.

I'd also add that a huge part of the annoyance is that people love things like sports, comedy, TV shows, etc for entertainment and to escape the realities of life. In what, the last decade, politics have progressively nvaded every one of those. It damn near ruins them. There's plenty of political sources out there, there's no need to fuck up escapism.

24.9508 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:34 am

So watch something else.

It’s called the free market ya’ll don’t support em and they’ll rot on the vine.

Fucks sake, there are like 4 million channels now, plus on demand streaming. Go find something that supports your political views and watch it.

User avatar 25.Denver-Gator » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:37 am

It’s called the free market ya’ll don’t support em and they’ll rot on the vine.
Kinda like Mad magazine? :beatsme:
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else