social media warriors at it again

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

1.evil gator » Mon May 13, 2019 5:12 pm

https://wtop.com/dc/2019/05/tweet-of-me ... book-deal/

lots of things going on here. metro here is really serious about not eating, so its shitty some worker was eating on a train. Also, not really necessary to post a pic of them though I can see why its annoying to see. but losing a paying gig over doing it, with race being a big factor? seems a bit much.

when I was allowed to tweet there was an account called 'unsuckmetro' where you could tweet random shit about them and I do remember that people would go nuts of the person complained about happened to be black.

User avatar 2.RIP » Mon May 13, 2019 5:20 pm

why should this lady lose her damn book deal because people were racist in the comments of a tweet? It's getting fucking ridiculous.

3.Fishon » Mon May 13, 2019 5:25 pm

I mean, it's dumb that what that publishing company released as their statement. But isn't this woman basically getting (losing a book deal) what she would have cost the transit worker? is it ok for her to cost someone else their job, but not ok when she loses (not really a job, but $$ and opportunity)?

obviously egs, you use the metro so I know nothing of their eating policy (other than the article saying that people could be fined for it up until last week).

my official position is that this is a dumb incident. I don't think the transit worker deserved having her picture posted and her job put in jeopardy. And I don't agree with what happened to the author and her publishing company either.

4.evil gator » Mon May 13, 2019 5:31 pm

I mean, it's dumb that what that publishing company released as their statement. But isn't this woman basically getting (losing a book deal) what she would have cost the transit worker? is it ok for her to cost someone else their job, but not ok when she loses (not really a job, but $$ and opportunity)?

obviously egs, you use the metro so I know nothing of their eating policy (other than the article saying that people could be fined for it up until last week).

my official position is that this is a dumb incident. I don't think the transit worker deserved having her picture posted and her job put in jeopardy. And I don't agree with what happened to the author and her publishing company either.
well I guess its apples and oranges to me. Metro constantly says to report people who are violating rules; this employee was flouting the rule while in uniform. probably shitty for someone to lose their job over it, makes more sense for them to be reprimanded.

The person who tweeted loses a book deal just for tweeting that someone was breaking a rule? is that not allowed anymore? They aren't suggesting the person be fired. And again, bringing in the racial thing is pretty unhelpful.

5.evil gator » Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 pm

according to the latest, there's no indication the worker was even reprimanded, let alone fired. They are heavily unionized so probably not even possible to fire her for this but imagine something like that getting misconstrued on social media!

User avatar 6.Cus » Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 pm

The tweeting lady loses thousands of dollars from a book deal (egregiously) and the people who turned it into a racial thing lose nothing.

Yep, sounds like social media justice at it's best.

7.evil gator » Mon May 13, 2019 7:50 pm

yeah I mean is it cool to get someone in trouble at work over this, probably not, but I can understand being annoyed by the shitty attitude and performance of metro employees as someone who rides a lot.

should the lady lose a contract because the person happens to be black? no way

8.9508 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:01 pm

As if we needed another cautionary story about social media.

9.lil numby » Mon May 13, 2019 8:02 pm

The tweeting lady loses thousands of dollars from a book deal (egregiously) and the people who turned it into a racial thing lose nothing.

Yep, sounds like social media justice at it's best.
nobody likes a tattletale

10.9508 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Snitches get stitch.... er.... lost book deals.

11.evil gator » Mon May 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Snitches get stitch.... er.... lost book deals.
ahahhahaa

12.Juggs » Tue May 14, 2019 1:40 am

And she wasnt even retarded.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else