Game of Thrones Final Season

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

551.Juggs » Wed May 15, 2019 3:59 pm

look we all just have to sit back and take it like one of littlefinger's whores
:nope:

I have the internet and I'm not afraid to use it!

User avatar 552.DocZaius » Wed May 15, 2019 4:03 pm

HBO should have fired D&D when they refused to do 10 episode seasons. Surely someone else could have wrapped this thing up properly. Fucking divas.
meh its a wildly popular show, that costs a shit ton to make, and who knows what kind of deal they struck and was struck w GRRRM to tell the ending. its like paying actors more and letting them off the hook for nude scenes and whatnot once they are famous. not sure there were a lot of options.
From the Forbes article:
Sure, we may get to where we’re going and it could be a passable ending. But there is not benefit to arranging the show this way, instead of having a more standard ending with two or three seasons that were the traditional ten episodes in length. No benefit to anyone except the showrunners, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss who want to move on to other projects.

No one wanted this except them. HBO wanted more. Here’s an EW interview from 2015, back when the showrunners were threatening to end the series after seven seasons:

“This is the hard part of what we do,” sighs HBO programming president Michael Lombardo. “We started this journey with David and Dan. It’s their vision. Would I love the show to go 10 years as both a fan and a network executive? Absolutely…If they weren’t comfortable going beyond seven seasons, I trust them implicitly and trust that’s the right decision—as horrifying as that is to me.”

More recently, HBO offered the showrunners more money and time to at least add more episodes to the final season, after eight seasons, the last two being shortened, was concocted as a compromise.

"HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season," Benioff said. "We always believed it was about 73 hours, and it will be roughly that. As much as they wanted more, they understood that this is where the story ends."

And then there’s George RR Martin, who has always thought the show was cutting too much from the books. A long time ago he said the 10 episode seasons should be more like 13, and more recently he’s said that the show could continue well, well beyond eight seasons. Here’s him at the Emmys last year:

"I don't know," Martin said. "Ask David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] when they come through. We could have gone to 11, 12, 13 seasons, but I guess they wanted a life.”
Everyone wanted to do more except D&D. If HBO is willing to shell out more money to make more money, why not? If D&D didn't want to do it anymore, they could have handed the reins over to someone who cared.

553.evil gator » Wed May 15, 2019 4:05 pm

yeah hbo was between a rock and a hard place.

the other thing could also be that's an easy popular position for them to take now that its shit.

554.Fishon » Wed May 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Absolutely they could;ve handed it off. There was a writer, I think Bryan Cogburn, who had written several episodes in previous seasons and is now a producer/exec producer. In interviews I'd seen with him several years ago, he seemed like the type of person who was definitely "into" the series and probably could've been a successor to D&D. I think they 1. got tired of it and 2. would never hand the reins over to anyone else

555.Juggs » Wed May 15, 2019 5:25 pm

f'n egos

556.evil gator » Wed May 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Absolutely they could;ve handed it off. There was a writer, I think Bryan Cogburn, who had written several episodes in previous seasons and is now a producer/exec producer. In interviews I'd seen with him several years ago, he seemed like the type of person who was definitely "into" the series and probably could've been a successor to D&D. I think they 1. got tired of it and 2. would never hand the reins over to anyone else
yeah that makes sense.

while I have ripped on the writing & issues plenty, its still a great show and will go down as the greatest. It could have been better, but I'm not going to commit suicide over it, unlike the dumb people who named their kids Khalessi

557.9508 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 pm

yeah that makes sense.

while I have ripped on the writing & issues plenty, its still a great show and will go down as the greatest. It could have been better, but I'm not going to commit suicide over it, unlike the dumb people who named their kids Khalessi
Wouldn’t be a huge loss if that crowd did go away.

558.shutout » Wed May 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Being coupled to unwritten books is also pretty unique. It was like Lost where they could make up any old shit any time and keep cranking out seasons. I think all of these long series also suffer from actor fatigue, although almost none of them ever end up doing anything else of note.

559.evil gator » Wed May 15, 2019 8:02 pm

there's a change.org petition to make HBO reshoot season 8, it already has 40K signed. I want season 7 too

560.Juggs » Wed May 15, 2019 8:16 pm

:lol:

User avatar 561.Cus » Thu May 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Being coupled to unwritten books is also pretty unique. It was like Lost where they could make up any old shit any time and keep cranking out seasons. I think all of these long series also suffer from actor fatigue, although almost none of them ever end up doing anything else of note.
Yeah, had high hopes for Josh Holloway (Sawyer) but he never did anything else worth noting.

Several of them had previous (and post) work that was good, Faraday, Gainey, Fahey, Nestor Carbonnell, Harold Perrineau was on Sons Of Anarchy.

Was hoping Evangeline Lilly would get nood but she didn't. :sad:

562.Juggs » Thu May 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Harold perrineau...how do you know that name :lol:

563.Juggs » Thu May 16, 2019 4:18 pm

Oh, he already had Oz and other stuff. He's definitely the most famous of those from Lost

User avatar 564.Cus » Thu May 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Harold perrineau...how do you know that name :lol:
Imdb.com

565.Juggs » Thu May 16, 2019 11:40 pm

Just started to rewatch the episode. I'm pretty sure that 90% of Jon's screen time this season involves him saying, "I don't want it"

566.Juggs » Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 pm

I'm also annoyed how they made Tyrion go from one of the smartest and most clever men to fucking up with every single move he makes.

567.Fishon » Thu May 16, 2019 11:49 pm

I'm also annoyed how they made Tyrion go from one of the smartest and most clever men to fucking up with every single move he makes.
Just gotta move the plot to its inevitable, shitty end no matter how little it makes sense for the individual characters

568.Juggs » Thu May 16, 2019 11:52 pm

yep

569.Juggs » Fri May 17, 2019 12:37 am

Feel bad for Drogon. Poor fella has to be out of breathe, right? Isn't this animal abuse?

User avatar 570.RIP » Fri May 17, 2019 2:09 am

Feel bad for Drogon. Poor fella has to be out of breathe, right? Isn't this animal abuse?
How many calories did all that fire take? He's probably skin and bones.

571.Juggs » Fri May 17, 2019 2:34 am

And don't dragons have to produce fire somehow? I don't think they'd have an endless supply.

572.evil gator » Fri May 17, 2019 1:54 pm

And don't dragons have to produce fire somehow? I don't think they'd have an endless supply.
yeah I saw an article on that but didn't bother to read it.

alternatively, dragons seem to like that shit so maybe he stored a bunch up and was happy to let loose.

User avatar 573.ufgators68 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:01 pm

insidejob.png
insidejob.png (766.91 KiB) Viewed 96 times

574.9508 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Seems plausible

575.shutout » Fri May 17, 2019 3:37 pm

magic.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else