alcoholic?

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

1.JookJoint » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:40 pm

how would you define an alcoholic?...I used to drink a 6 pack of some craft beer every evening (usually an IPA in the 6-7% ABV range) often accompanied by shots...

User avatar 2.Panamag8or » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:44 pm

Tommy is the expert, but if you were doing it to mask shitty feelings, that is concerning.

User avatar 3.RIP » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:45 pm

honestly if it's every day then yeah, you may be addicted to it.

4.9508 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:49 pm

I can’t recall the last time I drank that much in a single day. maybe sophomore year of college, once or twice.

5.Tommy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Waking up on the roof with nothing on but a viking hat and 1 sock, that was when i knew

6.9508 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:06 pm

That’s a party

User avatar 7.Irish Mike » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:06 pm

I can’t recall the last time I drank that much in a single day. maybe sophomore year of college, once or twice.
Square

8.evil gator » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:07 pm

not even gamedays??

9.9508 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Square
More of a rectangle really.

10.9508 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:10 pm

not even gamedays??
How would I post such amazing things in the game thread if I did?

“Wooooooo!”
“Shit!”
“Fuck auburn!”

These things don’t just type themselves Evs.

11.evil gator » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:11 pm

In answer to Jook's question, that would seem to go beyond moderate drinking (1-2 per day). Was this drinking with others or alone?

User avatar 12.evs' Boytoy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:15 pm

hmmm.

User avatar 13.Irish Mike » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:22 pm

hmmm.
Yeah... We should avoid this thread.

User avatar 14.Denver-Gator » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:28 pm

hmmm.
Yeah... We should avoid this thread.

15.Tommy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:29 pm

Hard to say. The AA book says have 1 drink, then quit, and not have or want more. If you can do that with regularity, then likely not a alcoholic. Its mentioned over and over again how the inability to stop is what defines a alcoholic. Theres a diff between a alcoholic and a regular drinker, once you’re a alcoholic, you can never drink normally again. Not necessarily a easy thing to accurately diagnose, by others, but pretty easy w a self diagnosis

16.9508 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Not 100% sure but I think the clinical definition involves if the drinking is negatively impacting your life as well.

Obviously that much booze on the regular isn’t doing you any good physically, but we’re you suffering in other areas as well? (Missing work/hurting relationships/etc.)

User avatar 17.Irish Mike » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:35 pm

Hard to say. The AA book says have 1 drink, then quit, and not have or want more. If you can do that with regularity, then likely not a alcoholic. Its mentioned over and over again how the inability to stop is what defines a alcoholic. Theres a diff between a alcoholic and a regular drinker, once you’re a alcoholic, you can never drink normally again. Not necessarily a easy thing to accurately diagnose, by others, but pretty easy w a self diagnosis
I was drinking 12-15 beers a day, everyday, more on the weekends. I went near 6 months not drinking at all during the week overnight. Still drank a ton on the weekends. Now I drink occasionally during the week, maybe 2 to 3 beers once or twice a week.

Don't know if that makes me a crappy drunk or a crappy recoveree. :lol:

18.Tommy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:41 pm

If you’re wondering if you are, good chance you are. Not a black and white diagnosis, because there’s not a definitive medical test. I dont really understand when the switch in the brain is flipped, but one thing i am certain of, once that switch is flipped, there’s no going back. Odd. The drinking is but a symptom of deeper issues, seen many alcoholics understand that, after they’ve been sober for a bit, many think the booze is the issue, it is, but the root cause is deeper, more often than not, its some type of trauma. I still don’t understand it that well, but i fully understand the solution, and the solution is more than just cutting out the drinking (coping mechanism).

19.Tommy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:43 pm

I have a friend that drank on a very regular basis, will at times just simply not drink for periods, or will have 1/2 a beer and stop. I wasnt wired that way, many are though, that switch is not easily flipped for some.

User avatar 20.Panamag8or » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:44 pm

If you’re wondering if you are, good chance you are. Not a black and white diagnosis, because there’s not a definitive medical test. I dont really understand when the switch in the brain is flipped, but one thing i am certain of, once that switch is flipped, there’s no going back. Odd. The drinking is but a symptom of deeper issues, seen many alcoholics understand that, after they’ve been sober for a bit, many think the booze is the issue, it is, but the root cause is deeper, more often than not, its some type of trauma. I still don’t understand it that well, but i fully understand the solution, and the solution is more than just cutting out the drinking (coping mechanism).
People pay my wife's employer $46k a month to come to this same conclusion.

21.shutout » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:46 pm

22.JookJoint » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:53 pm

I have a friend that drank on a very regular basis, will at times just simply not drink for periods, or will have 1/2 a beer and stop. I wasnt wired that way, many are though, that switch is not easily flipped for some.
...with me it's more of a psychological thing...a habit, if you will...I can go on family trips and not drink anything for days and not miss it...if I'm bored, then watch out...and I'm bored alot...

23.9508 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:05 pm

...with me it's more of a psychological thing...a habit, if you will...I can go on family trips and not drink anything for days and not miss it...if I'm bored, then watch out...and I'm bored alot...

User avatar 24.MoralityULack » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:35 pm

Back in the day I would get an eight ball on Friday and drink a case of beer just to hold myself down until I went to sleep on Sunday. Kick in some crystal and liquor and pills maybe needles for a special occasion. I never wanted the party to end. Not until the coke was gone, and the women were passed out, the records were scratched all over the floor, the guitar cords were hidden, the furniture was all soaked from late night swims, and the beer was gone and no one was fit to go to the store and I had made the third sunrise. But then I didn't do anything during the week. Maybe a beer or two a week for darts or the like. Gotta pay for the coke. I never did it because I was down or craved anything. It was always to slough off decorum and push the celebration of life to the limit.

When I stopped doing coke, it made my usual drinking disproportionate and I made an ass out of my self a few times. I had to come to grips with the new concept of limits. I don't know, age?, lack of drugs?, work?, but I didn't encounter the idea that I had to stop myself until I was ~27-28. I didnt like it. It wasn't that I needed a drink, it was I didn't want to be "responsible" on Friday. But I learned that no matter how much you want to be "free" - you can't. Ever. I will defer to Tville here, but it seems alcoholics don't have that ever present anal joy crushing voice of dread shitting on their party.

For three decades since I have a rare weekday drink and maybe half a dozen to go with a long evening of entertainment 2-3 times a month. And I have learned to enjoy the time of elevation I have even if it can never be the unbridled fun like the good ole days.
Last edited by MoralityULack on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

User avatar 25.evs' Boytoy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Do you think vd adjusts his coat and tails and monocle followed by a finger laced knuckle crack before posting one of these?
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else