First picture of Jook's Mom

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 1.DocZaius » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:36 pm

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/bla ... -telescope

This is what a black hole looks like.

A world-spanning network of telescopes called the Event Horizon Telescope zoomed in on the supermassive monster in the galaxy M87 to create this first-ever picture of a black hole.

“We have seen what we thought was unseeable. We have seen and taken a picture of a black hole,” Sheperd Doeleman, EHT Director and astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass., said April 10 in Washington, D.C., at one of seven concurrent news conferences. The results were also published in six papers in the Astrophysical Journal Letters.

“We’ve been studying black holes so long, sometimes it’s easy to forget that none of us have actually seen one,” France Cordova, director of the National Science Foundation, said in the Washington, D.C., news conference. Seeing one “is a Herculean task,” she said.

That's because black holes are notoriously hard to see. Their gravity is so extreme that nothing, not even light, can escape across the boundary at a black hole's edge, known as the event horizon. But some black holes, especially supermassive ones dwelling in galaxies’ centers, stand out by voraciously accreting bright disks of gas and other material. The EHT image reveals the shadow of M87’s black hole on its accretion disk. Appearing as a fuzzy, asymmetrical ring, it unveils for the first time a dark abyss of one of the universe’s most mysterious objects.

User avatar 2.99inNC » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:41 pm

Yeah, that's scary as fuck. Also, I've never seen the movie "Event Horizon" but I've heard it's disturbing as fuck.

3.evil gator » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:41 pm

dang

nerdbrag: I live right by NSF and have been in their building!

4.Supes44444 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 pm

dang

Welcome to Wednesday....the new Thursday brag day!

5.evil gator » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 pm

dang

does that even count as a brag tho?

User avatar 6.ufgators68 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Yeah, that's scary as fuck. Also, I've never seen the movie "Event Horizon" but I've heard it's disturbing as fuck.
You should watch it. I watch it whenever it is on the pay channels.

7.Supes44444 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:04 pm

dang

meh. Very debatable. It's a cross between a brag and a "look at me with my nerdy life"

8.evil gator » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:59 pm

meh. Very debatable. It's a cross between a brag and a "look at me with my nerdy life"
"i'm pathetic"

User avatar 9.Panamag8or » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:43 pm

"i'm pathetic"
Can't wait for reb to jack this softball out of the park.

10.GFY » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:46 pm

"panabadheart"

:lol:

User avatar 11.evs' Boytoy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:51 pm

User avatar 12.DocZaius » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:00 pm

User avatar 13.ufgators68 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:01 pm

The Orcs are coming. Bet you bitches wish you had stocked up on weapons/ammo now.

14.lil numby » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:10 pm

You should watch it. I watch it whenever it is on the pay channels.
i went in thinking it was your standard sci-fi thriller. it is, in fact, not.

15.shutout » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:05 pm

It's one of my favorite movies. I was surprised to find out it is sorta poorly reviewed.

16.JookJoint » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 pm

I guess I need to watch this film

17.9508 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:20 pm

It's one of my favorite movies. I was surprised to find out it is sorta poorly reviewed.
Meh.

User avatar 18.Irish Mike » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:39 pm

My saw it once, but it was pretty creepy.

19.Juggs » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:06 pm

It's a really good movie. yeah, it's a bit creepy

User avatar 20.Cus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:04 pm

It's really good in that it has some good actors but it is extremely disturbing. I watched it once and only once back in the 90s and it still haunts me to this day.

User avatar 21.Cus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:05 pm

As. Fuck.

User avatar 22.evs' Boytoy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:15 pm

fuck.

User avatar 23.RIP » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:27 pm

User avatar 24.DocZaius » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 pm

25.Supes44444 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:23 pm

hahahahahaha
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else