Superstitious political thread

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

576.GFY » Thu May 16, 2019 1:43 am

577.9508 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:57 am

It was bitchy and immature when dems did it a few years back.

User avatar 578.MoralityULack » Thu May 16, 2019 2:14 am

There are kids who can barely master our numbering system, why should we waste our fucking time on Arabic anything?
I dont know if this is serious or not but...the numbers the Arabs invented are

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and ground breaking for the time 0
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

579.GFY » Thu May 16, 2019 3:18 am

That oil-driller Bill de Blasio running for President.

:popcorn:

User avatar 580.MoralityULack » Thu May 16, 2019 6:24 am

Pat Robertson says Alabama’s abortion law is extreme and has “gone too far”
When Pat Robertson says you are crazy.....
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

581.Juggs » Thu May 16, 2019 12:47 pm

There are kids who can barely master our numbering system, why should we waste our fucking time on Arabic anything?

Pretty sure they don't write in English. Or do they :scratchchin:

582.GFY » Thu May 16, 2019 12:52 pm

583.9508 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Great. So the rape victim will only have to endure unwanted pregnancy, give birth, and either put a child into the shit child welfare programs in Alabama or risk having her rapist show up later and demand visitation, forcing her to interact with her rapist.

Doesn’t seem punitive at all.

User avatar 584.MoralityULack » Thu May 16, 2019 1:31 pm

The numbering system was actually developed in India but was obscure, Arab mathematicians encountered the system, recognized the value and propagated it across the Arab world. Eventually it found its to Europe a thousand years or so before Europe had a thing called mathematician. Hard to do math on MMMCMXCIX - CCLXXXVIII * CCLXXII. In fact without the breakthrough concept of 0 the system is really pretty worthless.

You have to remember that the Arabs were so much more advanced scientifically than Europeans 1000+ years ago.

User avatar 585.MoralityULack » Thu May 16, 2019 1:45 pm

I looked up your point about writing in script. Arabs use these numbers today in script. They do have script words (ie the equivalent of our "nine" or "seventeen") and there is also set of symbols called Eastern Arabic Numbers that are sometimes used by some. Eastern being Persian.

586.52:20 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:46 pm

Great. So the rape victim will only have to endure unwanted pregnancy, give birth, and either put a child into the shit child welfare programs in Alabama or risk having her rapist show up later and demand visitation, forcing her to interact with her rapist.

I’m not at all excusing the legislation. Atleast rape victims can do plan-b now, but Alabama probably bans that also.

587.9508 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:00 pm

I’m not at all excusing the legislation. Atleast rape victims can do plan-b now, but Alabama probably bans that also.
Honestly it’s tough to keep track. So many states are doing different things.

Also, some pregnancies produce brain dead children. Are women now going to be forced to carry a corpse to term because it’s on life support inside her? This is pretty fucked up.

User avatar 588.MoralityULack » Thu May 16, 2019 2:01 pm

All you said, but you left out the victim had to quit school or job, her career in ruins, she will never be able to have the career or future she was on track for, and will now have to funnel all of her meager living into raising the child of her rapist. Sort of a life time rape victims prison of struggle and poverty. Reminded every day of her torture by a living miniature of her attacker. Who BTW is predisposed to be five times more likely than average to rape or sexually abuse other women or children. A life time of daily torture.

But thats what the majority of Republicans and Christians want for women. The threat of rape is their most horrific way to torture women. And they worship and elevate men who can abuse women this way and get away with it.

User avatar 589.Denver-Gator » Thu May 16, 2019 2:14 pm

The numbering system was actually developed in India but was obscure, Arab mathematicians encountered the system, recognized the value and propagated it across the Arab world. Eventually it found its to Europe a thousand years or so before Europe had a thing called mathematician. Hard to do math on MMMCMXCIX - CCLXXXVIII * CCLXXII. In fact without the breakthrough concept of 0 the system is really pretty worthless.

You have to remember that the Arabs were so much more advanced scientifically than Europeans 1000+ years ago.

590.evil gator » Thu May 16, 2019 2:42 pm

hogs gonna hog

591.GFY » Thu May 16, 2019 2:43 pm

Also, some pregnancies produce brain dead children. Are women now going to be forced to carry a corpse to term because it’s on life support inside her? This is pretty fucked up.
You comment makes me wonder how many unborn children have been aborted due to a missed diagnosis by a test or doctor?

My SIL was carrying their youngest son when she was told that the amniocentesis showed he would have 2 different birth defects and that her OB's recommendation was to have an abortion. She and my BIL chose not to have the abortion and raise the child. That child just graduated from dental school this past Saturday.

User avatar 592.MoralityULack » Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Well this goes a long ways towards making up for a stupid tweet

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/18/economy/ ... index.html

593.9508 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Great anecdote. Just like all the others that get trotted out on this subject.

How about something with evidence.

594.evil gator » Thu May 16, 2019 3:26 pm

You comment makes me wonder how many unborn children have been aborted due to a missed diagnosis by a test or doctor?

My SIL was carrying their youngest son when she was told that the amniocentesis showed he would have 2 different birth defects and that her OB's recommendation was to have an abortion. She and my BIL chose not to have the abortion and raise the child. That child just graduated from dental school this past Saturday.
yeah that was their choice you dumb fucking asshole. Its not like she was FORCED to have an abortion or FORCED to give birth. Doctors aren't 100% right all of the time, so what. its none of your fucking business what other women chose to do with their bodies or what decisions they have to make.

User avatar 595.DocZaius » Thu May 16, 2019 3:26 pm

SATs to start scoring students based on "adversity":

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/adversity- ... t-journal/

596.9508 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Fuck that shit.

User avatar 597.MoralityULack » Thu May 16, 2019 3:37 pm

They are trying to compensate for the symptom instead of addressing the root cause - separate and unequal K-12.

598.9508 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:39 pm

They are trying to compensate for the symptom instead of addressing the root cause - separate and unequal K-12.
It’s also nearly impossible to do accurately.

599.evil gator » Thu May 16, 2019 3:48 pm

yep while I appreciate the idea, it seems it will create more unfairness. race based admissions while imperfect make more sense

User avatar 600.MoralityULack » Thu May 16, 2019 4:03 pm

It is stupid to try to gift unqualified people with college. You have to give them the opportunity to BE QUALIFIED. Which we don't. Because the rich demand the right to give their kids a separate and better education than the peons. That is why America is 38th out of 39 industrialized countries in economic mobility. The land of NO opportunity.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else