Black Pumas

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 1.MoralityULack » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:49 am

Caught this local band I have been wanting to see at an SXSW free show

The guitar player from Grupo Fantasma, formed Brownout - one of my favorite bands - which is sort of Santana plays blaxploitation. They have an all Sabbath latin horn band alter ego called Brown Sabbath which Ozzy loves. He has Ocote Soul Sound and Echocentrics which are pretty much Adrian and a computer creating 60s alien desert surf lounge. And lord knows how many others. Ten bands? Plus dozens he produces.

Now he has a lead singer to match is vision. I guess I expected more of the funky same, but they are more straight ahead. Bad Company-ish? In a good way. Just got signed. When it comes out - buy it.

User avatar 2.Cus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Decades late to the party but bought my first ever Tom Waits song last night, Shiver Me Timbers.

User avatar 3.MoralityULack » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:52 pm

You know he did the original Old 55 which the Eagles covered

User avatar 4.Cus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:39 pm

I did not. I'd heard Tom Waits' name before but never delved into his music. As luck would have it I came across Shiver Me Timbers on Google play last night. Beautiful song, instant buy. I checked out a few of his other songs and they were.....eclectic.

5.rampart » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:47 pm

Decades late to the party but bought my first ever Tom Waits song last night, Shiver Me Timbers.
Wow

6.rampart » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:49 pm

I did not. I'd heard Tom Waits' name before but never delved into his music. As luck would have it I came across Shiver Me Timbers on Google play last night. Beautiful song, instant buy. I checked out a few of his other songs and they were.....eclectic.
Swordfish trombones is the point where he went weird, great, but weird. Very clear before and after difference.

7.rampart » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:49 pm

His version of downtown train is fantastic

User avatar 8.Cus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:51 pm

I almost got Step Right Up as well for the novelty of it.

9.9508 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Thought this was a shoe thread.

User avatar 10.evs' Boytoy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Thought this was another Marvel movie.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else