Forbes: Most dangerous airports in the world.

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 1.MoralityULack » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Ive done the number one a couple times.

1. Telluride Regional Airport

Telluride is the highest-elevation commercial airport in America at 9,070 feet. It also features 1,000-foot sheer cliffs on both ends of the runway and strong vertical turbulence during winter months caused by the mountain winds. I have flown into this airport many times and it is for sure a white-knuckle experience.
And it is in a box canyon with fourteeners ahead and on both sides. Once you get down in there, going around is very iffy.

User avatar 2.RIP » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Fuck that.

User avatar 3.MoralityULack » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Here is the view the other way.

4.52:20 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Charelston WV is pretty crazy, especially if you aren’t expecting it. Had no clue it was basically on a cliff until I was looking out the window at the mountains and felt the tarmac.

User avatar 5.panamag8or » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Charelston WV is pretty crazy, especially if you aren’t expecting it. Had no clue it was basically on a cliff until I was looking out the window at the mountains and felt the tarmac.
Huntington is like that. They basically leveled off the top of a mountain.

User avatar 6.Denver-Gator » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:00 pm

I flew into and out of Walker's Cay back in the day. Kind of freaky when you do an initial flyover and see a couple of sunken aircraft around the island.

User avatar 7.MoralityULack » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:01 pm

I looked it up. Looks like the same idea as far the end of the runway goes.

User avatar 8.MoralityULack » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:20 pm

I flew into and out of Walker's Cay back in the day. Kind of freaky when you do an initial flyover and see a couple of sunken aircraft around the island.
There were lots of Islands on the list. Saba was on it which Ive heard is impressive. St. Martin was on the list...though it didn't feel scary to me. We flew to Culebra off Puerto Rico and they buzzed the field to scare off the goats.

User avatar 9.MoralityULack » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:31 pm

The thing about Colorado is the air is so thin. Especially in summer. I thought there were no airliners into Gunnison in summer because of lack of interest, but I learned at some point it is because the air is too thin in summer.

User avatar 10.DocZaius » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:15 pm

I'm not into sport fishing, but Walker's Cay Chronicles was a damn good show

User avatar 11.99inNC » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:58 pm

I've always found island destinations I've flown into and Laguardia to be the most fear-inducing.
Last edited by 99inNC on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar 12.Irish Mike » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:30 pm

LaGuardia sucks

User avatar 13.Denver-Gator » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:05 pm

I've always found island destinations I've flow into and Laguardia to be the most fear-inducing.
I don't particularly like landing or taking off on a pier.

User avatar 14.99inNC » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:34 pm

I've always found island destinations I've flow into and Laguardia to be the most fear-inducing.
I have enjoyed my experiences in Denver Airport. And it's circus-like appearance adds a feeling of whimsy.

User avatar 15.GFY » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:43 pm

They basically took the top off a mountain to build that strip.
“Let us work together to build a culture that cherishes innocent life. And let us reaffirm a fundamental truth – all children – born and unborn – are made in the holy image of God.” - Pres Donald Trump

User avatar 16.Denver-Gator » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:43 pm

I have enjoyed my experiences in Denver Airport. And it's circus-like appearance adds a feeling of whimsy.
It is pretty nice, as far as airports go. They just built it on the Kansas border

User avatar 17.99inNC » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 pm

It is pretty nice, as far as airports go. They just built it on the Kansas border
:lol:

User avatar 18.MoralityULack » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:52 pm

The airport is great but they had some traffic issues when I was there. Once I was taxiing and stopped across a runway and a plane trying to land pouring thick smoke pulled up and over us with probably less than 100 feet to spare. About a month or two later I same situation, but I was in the plane flooring it and pulling up.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else