Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 1.DocZaius » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:12 pm

Van Halen's album released 35 years ago today.

https://www.houstonpress.com/music/35-y ... d-11103309
Van Halen's 1984 Turns 35 Today, Is At Least The Second Best Work With That Title
PETE VONDER HAAR | JANUARY 9, 2019 | 5:00AM

Your recollections of Van Halen (if you remember them at all) likely depend on generational affiliation. Oft-maligned Millennials (born in 1981 or later, according to the Pew Research Center) probably remember the band's Sammy Hagar incarnation, while those born into Generation X or earlier were fortunate enough to see the band's original lineup, one that ended (the first time) with 1984. And album that was released on this day in ... 1984.

Fusing the talents of guitar mutant Eddie Van Halen, his percussive brother Alex, Tarzanian lead singer David Lee Roth, and competent bassist Michael Anthony, Van Halen was one of the biggest bands in the world in 1984, but not necessarily the biggest. The Police were wrapping up a massive world tour in support of their most successful album to date (Synchronicity), for example, and 1984 would never dethrone Michael Jackson's Thriller on the Billboard charts (the latter was No. 1 every week from January 1 to April 14). Later that year, Prince and the Revolution would release Purple Rain, which affected the musical landscape in a way that Diamond Dave et al. could never really match.

But 1984 was still a monster success, and would end up being the band's second (and last) album to sell over 10 million copies. It represented a turning point for a group once exclusively categorized as "hard rock" (or even "heavy metal," which Eddie actively campaigned against), with many of the new songs showcasing the band's pop sensibilities.
Poor Michael Anthony only gets a "competent." 1984 was a good year for music.

User avatar 2.MoralityULack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:42 am

It was an OK album. Not as good as the first two, but better than some of their recent work at the time. I saw them open for the Stones in 81? 82? Great show. I had not seen the Stones before and they were, you know, OLD. I remember thinking they would not be able to top Van Halen. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

3.PG. » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:02 am

It was an OK album. Not as good as the first two, but better than some of their recent work at the time. I saw them open for the Stones in 81? 82? Great show. I had not seen the Stones before and they were, you know, OLD. I remember thinking they would not be able to top Van Halen. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I saw that tour in the tangerine bowl. And yeah.... they seemed old 35 years ago lol.

User avatar 4.DocZaius » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:20 am

My first concert was the Stones in 1987. Pretty good show, the opening act was Living Color. I saw Van Hagar some time in the early 1990s and was disappointed by their lack of energy on stage. Then again, they probably weren't too excited to play in Jax.

User avatar 5.Panamag8or » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:10 am

Only time I ever waited for a record store to open so I could buy it the day it came out. Skipped school and went to whatever store was where Hogan's is now. As drummers, we were not impressed.

6.Tommy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:42 pm

My mom took a friend and myself to see Journey at Ruby Diamond Auditorium in 1978 or 79, and they had this unknown band, VanHalen, opening up for them. Holy shit, they blew that place away, they opened witn Eruption, everyone was looking around all wtf, I’m pretty sure no one had ever seen anyone play like that.

User avatar 7.MoralityULack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:52 pm

I saw that tour in the tangerine bowl. And yeah.... they seemed old 35 years ago lol.
That was where I saw them that time. Some DJ back then played an interview with Jagger saying he didnt want to be playing Under My Thumb at forty. It was his 42nd birthday and they opened with it. With that building intro Van Halen was toast before Jagger sang a note. Too many iconic songs. Too much experience. Too many great musicians on the stage. And they got better. At least for a while. I think my favorite show was in the 90s.

We were near the mixing board. I had a gram in a film canister and I was afraid to open it in daylight in the middle of the field in front of 80K people. Then the girl next to me whips out a baggie with...a pound? kilo?... sticks 3-4 straws in it and starts passing it around her crew and she included me several times. Very neighborly.
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

User avatar 8.MoralityULack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:18 pm

My first concert was the Stones in 1987. Pretty good show, the opening act was Living Color. I saw Van Hagar some time in the early 1990s and was disappointed by their lack of energy on stage. Then again, they probably weren't too excited to play in Jax.
I saw that Stones show in the Astrodome. It was a bit surreal. I went not in cutoffs but in a suit straight from work with a bunch of people from EY. In fact EY paid. We were on a big project for Exxon and for various reasons the senior managers all got shifted off the project and I and this other woman wound up in charge and short handed. We were literally sleeping under the desk and going home about 3 nights a week. I sort of wing it and she was very anal. We clashed a lot privately but we backed each other up. Anyway the partner pretty much assigned seating and he wanted to sit next to the pretty girl. So he was sitting between us, she got drunk, and much to my surprise, just before the show, reached over in front of the partner, grabbed me by the tie and probed my tonsils for about 3 minutes. I backed her up. Cool?, CLM?, repressed feelings?, fuckin with the partner?, it certainly made for a strange evening.

9.rampart » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:36 pm

I’m 38, hagar was lead singer when I got into VH. I know it’s not the popular view but to me he was and is way better than DLR. I’d rather listen to FUCK and Balance over 1984 (though that’s my third favorite VH record). Everything after Sammy sucked a big bag of dicks

10.9508 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:44 pm

Shits about to get real

11.evil gator » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:50 pm

Shits about to get real
ahahaha

User avatar 12.Denver-Gator » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:51 pm

Did any of you see the Stones in Gainesville in 1994? I remember the year specifically because it was right after the tie vs FSU, the next day I think. Mick said something like "I hear you like football here" which got a really mixed response. :lol:

I still have a bootleg shirt I bought from Hogan's from that concert, "Stoned in the Swamp"

User avatar 13.MoralityULack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:04 pm

No, but I saw that tour at Giants Stadium. That is my favorite Stones show. They were really tight and played Monkey Man and Rocks Off and several other 70s album cuts that you don't normally hear. And it was the least theatrical.
Last edited by MoralityULack on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar 14.Denver-Gator » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Shits about to get real
VanHaggar sucked big time. Not even close to the original with DLR

15.9508 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Shots fired!!!!

User avatar 16.DocZaius » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:21 pm

I’m 38, hagar was lead singer when I got into VH. I know it’s not the popular view but to me he was and is way better than DLR. I’d rather listen to FUCK and Balance over 1984 (though that’s my third favorite VH record). Everything after Sammy sucked a big bag of dicks
They really changed stylistically with Hagar. More pop-friendly ballads and love songs, less irreverent good ol' fashioned rock-'n'-roll. I like Hagar just fine, but I prefer the DLR era.

User avatar 17.MoralityULack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Van Halens choice of music, performance, and entertainment value were better in the first few years. Is that the singers fault or just bad taste on Eddies part?

I think Hagar is the better person...
Following this morning's (June 19) slam of Michael Anthony's bass playing by Eddie Van Halen, Sammy Hagar gave a NSFW response that rose to his friend's defense and took a few shots of his own.

"It's really irritating to see them going after Mikey," he said in a video on his Facebook page. "Mikey didn't do anything, ever, to Van Halen. Mikey was the most loyal guy in the band. He was the first guy there at rehearsal, the last guy to leave, the first guy at the gig, the guy that carried the [...] VH banner [...] every night [like] the flagman on the horse in the Cavalry. That was Michael Anthony, OK?"

Today, an interview with Eddie found him criticizing his former bassist's musicianship, saying, "Every note Mike ever played, I had to show him how to play. Before we’d go on tour, he’d come over with a video camera and I’d have to show him how to play all the parts."

Calling Van Halen's words as "the biggest line of bulls--- I've ever heard in my life," Hagar continued, "I was in that band for 11 years. There was never a video camera involved of Eddie showing him what to play. Eddie would tell him what to play once in a while and say, 'No, Mike. Don't play that many notes. Just stay on one note [demonstrates] so that I can f--- up and nobody will know it. It was that kind of s--

"I'm telling you straight up, especially on the '04 reunion tour. If Mike would have played any more than one note, it would have shown that Eddie wasn't playing the right chords again and again and again. I couldn't sing to him. You couldn't play bass to him. So that is a lot of bulls--- and I don't know why they go after him like that. He doesn't deserve it."

"Michael Anthony is a bad motherf-----. F--- you, Eddie Van Halen for saying that about Mikey. You're a liar [...] I'm so pissed about that. A--hole [...] Michael Anthony is the greatest guy on the f---ing planet."

18.rampart » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:34 pm

They really changed stylistically with Hagar. More pop-friendly ballads and love songs, less irreverent good ol' fashioned rock-'n'-roll. I like Hagar just fine, but I prefer the DLR era.
I’d agree with the first two Hagar albums but balance has some of the heaviest guitar I’ve heard Eddie put down and it has a more mature sound that I like and FUCK had some of that DLR irreverence you referred to. Don’t get me wrong, I really do like 1984 and running with the devil but I could leave the rest

19.rampart » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Van Halens choice of music, performance, and entertainment value were better in the first few years. Is that the singers fault or just bad taste on Eddies part?

Following this morning's (June 19) slam of Michael Anthony's bass playing by Eddie Van Halen, Sammy Hagar gave a NSFW response that rose to his friend's defense and took a few shots of his own.

"It's really irritating to see them going after Mikey," he said in a video on his Facebook page. "Mikey didn't do anything, ever, to Van Halen. Mikey was the most loyal guy in the band. He was the first guy there at rehearsal, the last guy to leave, the first guy at the gig, the guy that carried the [...] VH banner [...] every night [like] the flagman on the horse in the Cavalry. That was Michael Anthony, OK?"

Today, an interview with Eddie found him criticizing his former bassist's musicianship, saying, "Every note Mike ever played, I had to show him how to play. Before we’d go on tour, he’d come over with a video camera and I’d have to show him how to play all the parts."

Calling Van Halen's words as "the biggest line of bulls--- I've ever heard in my life," Hagar continued, "I was in that band for 11 years. There was never a video camera involved of Eddie showing him what to play. Eddie would tell him what to play once in a while and say, 'No, Mike. Don't play that many notes. Just stay on one note [demonstrates] so that I can f--- up and nobody will know it. It was that kind of s--

"I'm telling you straight up, especially on the '04 reunion tour. If Mike would have played any more than one note, it would have shown that Eddie wasn't playing the right chords again and again and again. I couldn't sing to him. You couldn't play bass to him. So that is a lot of bulls--- and I don't know why they go after him like that. He doesn't deserve it."

"Michael Anthony is a bad motherf-----. F--- you, Eddie Van Halen for saying that about Mikey. You're a liar [...] I'm so pissed about that. A--hole [...] Michael Anthony is the greatest guy on the f---ing planet."
Everyone who has met Sammy says he’s a great person. OTOH Eddie is apparently a dick, moreso when inebriated.

20.rampart » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Shits about to get real
VanHaggar sucked big time. Not even close to the original with DLR
That’s like just your opinion man...

... and you’re wrong

21.HG 2.0 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:51 pm

Cross-threading a bit

I saw Michael Anthony at a strip bar in Cocoa one afternoon....

22.evil gator » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Cross-threading a bit

better tits than the skank at traders /tgb

23.shutout » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Only time I ever waited for a record store to open so I could buy it the day it came out. Skipped school and went to whatever store was where Hogan's is now. As drummers, we were not impressed.
He's an awesome drummer.

24.Tommy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:34 pm

DLR is one crazy mofo

25.PG. » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Cross-threading a bit

Hopefully you mean Cocoa Beach. I have been to the one strip club that was in Cocoa and it makes Traders look good.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else