The Happy Holidays political thread

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

351.evil gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:51 pm

Anybody want to tackle this one? Ocasio says (based on a Forbes article) that $21T is unaccounted for between 1995 and 2012 (or something). Hannity blows up with a vague post saying that that''s more than we spend in total on defense - except, of course, he's using both a different timeline and ignoring that the missing money was unbudgeted - which is what makes it so terrifying in the first place.

https://www.hannity.com/media-room/libe ... on-errors/

What am I missing here?
anyone who gets excited about her either way doesn't understand how government works

352.9508 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Anybody want to tackle this one? Ocasio says (based on a Forbes article) that $21T is unaccounted for between 1995 and 2012 (or something). Hannity blows up with a vague post saying that that''s more than we spend in total on defense - except, of course, he's using both a different timeline and ignoring that the missing money was unbudgeted - which is what makes it so terrifying in the first place.

https://www.hannity.com/media-room/libe ... on-errors/

What am I missing here?
So the problem with Ocasio-Cortez is, it’s an accounting issue and not real money. Yes, the military is a hole where money goes, yes we could curtail spending in a number of areas (like the guys deployed to the boarder, or building and buying Tanks the military doesn’t want because it keeps jobs in a constituency of a powerful senator) but no, this accounting error isn’t going to pay for Medicare for all.

Your second problem is reading Hanity.

Here is a good explanation of why Ocasio-Cortez ought to take about 3 seats and chill

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... n-mistake/

353.MoralityULack » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:24 pm

$21T worth of transactions cant be accounted for. These may be positive or negative. Some, maybe most, would net out. Most of the money was probably used as intended at some unknown place. Some was diverted to secret projects or new priorities. Surely quite a bit of free unaccounted for cash wound up in a criminals pocket. There are bad people salivating over this. And even though I believe most people are good, this is just to little risk and too much reward for otherwise good people.

So ,even though most of that money is not really waste, and could not be used for other projects, losing track of anything like $21T isn't really "working" either.

I do a lot of corporate accounting work. If you routinely cant account for more than $100,000 in a billion dollar annual company you have explaining to do. That kind of lack of accountability is ridiculously absurdly ...sorry there are just not words for it....unacceptable.

354.evil gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:48 pm

9508, we don't always agree but you are knocking it out of the park today #pragmatism

:date:

355.evil gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:14 pm

oh also, what are the odds someone can't resist adding something anti trump at the Bush funeral with him sitting there? I think 50-50

356.evil gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:31 pm

holy shit bob dole

I'm not crying you're crying!

357.evil gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:33 pm

oh damn coworker just came into my office and I'm all sniffly

358.HG 2.0 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:38 pm

holy shit bob dole

Wow

359.PG. » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:37 pm

holy shit bob dole

Wow
He needs one of those bells on the armrest.

User avatar 360.evs' Boytoy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm

holy shit bob dole

Wow
Yeah, that was heavy.

361.9508 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:38 am

Could someone introduce Ben Sasse to a Democrat please.

Apparently he’s not aware he can vote with them if he wants too.

362.HG 2.0 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:45 am

holy shit bob dole

Wow
Yeah, that was heavy.
Reminds me of when FDR stood up and said "DO NOT TELL ME IT CANNOT BE DONE"

User avatar 363.DocZaius » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Your federal government at work:

https://www.cato.org/blog/double-win-du ... -frog-case
By a vote of 8-0 (Justice Kavanaugh did not participate), the Supreme Court today gave a rational reading of both the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and its own power to review administrative agency actions. The decision in Weyerhaeuser v. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is an important win for property owners against arbitrary agency decisions. See Cato’s amicus brief here.

The case arose when the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), which administers the ESA on behalf of the Secretary of the Interior, designated a large parcel of land in Louisiana owned by Weyerhaeuser and a group of family landowners as critical habitat for the endangered dusky gopher frog, a small population of which lives today in Mississippi. The problem, however, was that the frog had not lived in Louisiana for decades and, worse still, the land in question, far from being critical habitat, was no habitat at all since it was unsuitable for sustaining the frog’s life cycles. On appeal, FWS did not dispute that critical habitat must be habitat; it argued instead that habitat includes areas that would require “some degree of modification” to support a sustainable population of a given species. In her dissent from the Fifth Circuit’s decision, Judge Priscilla Owen nicely summarized the immense practical implications of that view: “If the Endangered Species Act permitted the actions taken by the Government in this case, then vast portions of the United States would be designated as ‘critical habitat’ because it is theoretically possible, even if not probable, that land could be modified to sustain the introduction or reintroduction of an endangered species.”

Fortunately, Chief Justice Roberts, writing for the Court, today carefully parsed the ESA’s language to avoid that result. And of equal if not greater importance, he did the same to sustain the Administrative Procedure Act’s “basic presumption of judicial review” of agency action, finding here that the ESA requires the Secretary to take into consideration economic and other impacts before making a critical habitat designation. The economic impact to these plaintiffs of losing their right to develop their land was estimated to be $34 million—all to preserve a frog’s uninhabitable habitat. No wonder the decision was 8-0. Still, the plaintiffs had to go all the way to the Supreme Court to vindicate their rights.

The Court sent the case back to the Fifth Circuit to be resolved consistent with today’s opinion

364.evil gator » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:19 pm

The ESA is one of the most ridic laws I have dealt with; it is amazingly unfair to landowners.

365.9508 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:10 pm

A special where are they now segment. What has Steve Bannon been up too?

https://hillreporter.com/steve-bannon-c ... rupt-16621

Defeat for Mags obviously.

366.evil gator » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:30 pm

I'd like my sex robots without the political blowhards

367.9508 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm

I'd like my sex robots without the political blowhards
Right? Talk about a mood killer.

368.evil gator » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:42 pm

though, I could see "political blowhard" being a sex robot some weirdo would buy

369.9508 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:47 pm

though, I could see "political blowhard" being a sex robot some weirdo would buy
Sadly yes.

370.evil gator » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:49 pm

how much for a sean Hannity w a prolapsed anus?

sorry I need help

371.9508 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:50 pm

Sadly yes.
I am amused though that people who want to talk publicly about sex with robots, find it offensive to be speakers at a conference with Bannon.

372.9508 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:51 pm

sorry I need help
I’m assuming (pun intended) a few posters here have a “gently used” model they’d cut you a deal on.

373.evil gator » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Sadly yes.
I am amused though that people who want to talk publicly about sex with robots, find it offensive to be speakers at a conference with Bannon.
exactly

User avatar 374.RIP » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:00 pm

sorry I need help
I’m assuming (pun intended) a few posters here have a “gently used” model they’d cut you a deal on.
I'd be willing to part with Gwendolyn for 25 schmeckels.

375.shutout » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:03 pm

sorry I need help
I'd be willing to part with Gwendolyn for 25 schmeckels.
I got nine tugbux and a small bag of ghelt to offer.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else