The Happy Holidays political thread

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 326.Denver-Gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Is anything mueller uncovers going to change anyone's mind?
Would it change your mind?

User avatar 327.evs' Boytoy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:58 pm

I don't mind.

328.evil gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:14 pm

what do you think? Trump is shady and has always had shady associates, but he isn't going to be impeached and is President, so move on.

329.MoralityULack » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:25 pm

what do you think? Trump is shady and has always had shady associates, but he isn't going to be impeached and is President, so move on.
Like you moved on from bitching about Obama for three things a day? Like Fox, Rush, Drudge, Infowars, and all their followers moved on? Like Congress moved on from BENGHAZI!!! Like the birthers moved on?

330.9508 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:46 pm

Well this ought to be fun.

User avatar 331.evs' Boytoy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Yep.

332.9508 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:58 pm

As an aside. I don’t think it’s right to say, because trump won’t get impeached in the senate, (and why would he, it’s not like they have cared about anything he has done so far) that we should “get over it.”

If you want to be a country of laws, then you might want those in government to... follow them.

User avatar 333.angrigator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Heaven forbid that. Gets in the way of making money and fucking with browns.

334.evil gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:29 pm

As an aside. I don’t think it’s right to say, because trump won’t get impeached in the senate, (and why would he, it’s not like they have cared about anything he has done so far) that we should “get over it.”

If you want to be a country of laws, then you might want those in government to... follow them.
no one needs to get over anything, I am a pragmatist and deal with whatever administration is elected or who is in Congress because its my job.

but, for the bigger picture, would any outcomes change Trump supporter's minds, or those that hate him? or even anyone in the middle? most people have their mind made up, don't they?

335.MoralityULack » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:06 pm

As North Carolina officials investigate allegations that absentee ballots were tampered with in a tight congressional race, a review of some of those ballots revealed many were signed by the same small group of people -- some of whom are connected to a longtime operative working for the Republican candidate's campaign.

North Carolina requires witnesses to sign absentee ballots. Usually, those witnesses are family members or friends.
But a set of 161 absentee ballots for the 9th Congressional District obtained by CNN on Monday showed that the same nine people signed at least 10 absentee ballots each.

Many of those nine people who signed ballots seem to know each other, checks of public records and their social media accounts showed. Some are also associates of Leslie McCrae Dowless, a longtime North Carolina operative who worked for the campaign of Mark Harris, the Republican who leads the race by 905 votes.
In Texas, they recently sentenced a woman who has been here since she was a child to 8 years for voting. She thought she was eligible. Will they give these people 8 years for each intentionally illegal vote?

User avatar 336.Denver-Gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:09 pm

no one needs to get over anything, I am a pragmatist and deal with whatever administration is elected or who is in Congress because its my job.

but, for the bigger picture, would any outcomes change Trump supporter's minds, or those that hate him? or even anyone in the middle? most people have their mind made up, don't they?
There has to be some threshold, right?

337.evil gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:12 pm

threshold for what?

338.9508 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 pm

threshold for what?
I think some people on both sides are deeply and unshakably entrenched. I also think there is a smaller group that is waiting to see what Mueller produces. I would say the stance that Dems have taken officially (wait and see) is the right approach, even though it is unpalatable to a significant part of their base.

And yeah dens, where ya going with a threshold?

339.9508 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 pm

As North Carolina officials investigate allegations that absentee ballots were tampered with in a tight congressional race, a review of some of those ballots revealed many were signed by the same small group of people -- some of whom are connected to a longtime operative working for the Republican candidate's campaign.

North Carolina requires witnesses to sign absentee ballots. Usually, those witnesses are family members or friends.
But a set of 161 absentee ballots for the 9th Congressional District obtained by CNN on Monday showed that the same nine people signed at least 10 absentee ballots each.

Many of those nine people who signed ballots seem to know each other, checks of public records and their social media accounts showed. Some are also associates of Leslie McCrae Dowless, a longtime North Carolina operative who worked for the campaign of Mark Harris, the Republican who leads the race by 905 votes.
In Texas, they recently sentenced a woman who has been here since she was a child to 8 years for voting. She thought she was eligible. Will they give these people 8 years for each intentionally illegal vote?
Well of course it was pubs tampering with votes.

340.evil gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:28 pm

threshold for what?
I think some people on both sides are deeply and unshakably entrenched. I also think there is a smaller group that is waiting to see what Mueller produces. I would say the stance that Dems have taken officially (wait and see) is the right approach, even though it is unpalatable to a significant part of their base.

the thing is, it whatever comes out isn't wildly damaging to trump personally, those who hate him will say it was a crap investigation; if whatever comes out is damaging, his supporters will say it was crap. So the middle will then not know what to think and be further disgusted with politics, and then vote in more novices and perpetuate the cycle.

User avatar 341.Denver-Gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:42 pm

threshold for what?

Threshold of where the results would turn current Trump supporters in Congress, and even some fervent supporters who are merely voters. I mean, even Nixon lost Republican support when Watergate was exposed.

342.9508 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:51 pm

threshold for what?

Threshold of where the results would turn current Trump supporters in Congress, and even some fervent supporters who are merely voters. I mean, even Nixon lost Republican support when Watergate was exposed.
Different times. We’ve already had Trump and his folks admit to a number of things that are impeachable by the letter of the law. One of the things Nixon had listed in articles of impeachment was making a false public statement (he’d stated an investigation was done into if staffers were involved in the watergate break in, and no investigation had been done.)

And I see no sign of loss of support in the Senate. If anything, the new pub senators will be more trumpy, not less.

I’m the end, Mueller’s findings will likely be dry. Nothing as salacious as Bill getting a BJ in the Oval Office. So I doubt it gathers the same degree of attention.

343.MoralityULack » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:57 pm

threshold for what?

What we already know is way worse than Watergate. That was in a time when Republicans were loyal Americans. We live in a time where MOST Republicans will take the word of a Fox propagandist or a Trump tweet over the justice department or a judge. Propaganda has created a true cult of personality like Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini or Che. Now MOST are loyal to Trump first and he is doing all he can to turn them against their country.

344.evil gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:58 pm

yep, the new senate R's are more trumpy and besides some railing on Fox/MSNBC there won't be a lot of interest or change in opinion.

345.MoralityULack » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Look. Trump is guilty of money laundering for decades, massive tax evasion, working with the Russian mafia, having his people work with the Russian government to sway the election, his people have lied to Congress and the FBI and he has been trying to cover up their crimes. Is there a single person on this board that doubts that in their heart? I don't think so. It is simply a matter if you side with your country and its principles or treasonous criminals and want them to be held accountable or not.

User avatar 346.Denver-Gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Let's say due to his dealings somehow he paid the Russian Mafia money to kill an American citizen, would that do it?

347.MoralityULack » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Let's say due to his dealings somehow he paid the Russian Mafia money to kill an American citizen, would that do it?
Is the victim white?

Assuming the worst that the are, If there was ironclad audio and video proof that could be condensed to less than 30 seconds and it got played on Fox, support would drop from 40% to 33% and he would still get the Republican nomination.

348.shutout » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Anybody want to tackle this one? Ocasio says (based on a Forbes article) that $21T is unaccounted for between 1995 and 2012 (or something). Hannity blows up with a vague post saying that that''s more than we spend in total on defense - except, of course, he's using both a different timeline and ignoring that the missing money was unbudgeted - which is what makes it so terrifying in the first place.

https://www.hannity.com/media-room/libe ... on-errors/

What am I missing here?

349.MoralityULack » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:47 pm

What gets me is where is Rupert in all this? Is it really ALL about the money? Isn't there enough money already to back off a LITTLE? Cant he afford to lose a FEW viewers to , you know, preserve western democracy? Does he have absolutely no moral bottom? Is he a Russian operative? Was he beaten by an American nanny? Is he doing it because of Jerry Halls Texas/English accent?

350.evil gator » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 pm

maybs
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else