Allmans - Fillmore East 4 covers
Clapton - Layla 5 covers
Stones - Exile 2 covers
Hendrix - Electric Ladyland 2 covers
Janis - Cheap Thrills - 3 covers
Skynyrd - One More from the Road - 3
Led Zeppelin- I - 3
SRV - Texas Flood - 4
I have no issue with covers. I just never heard covers being pimped over originals.
I have 30+ versions of Afro Blue from writer Mongo (orig and 4-5 versions with various size bands over the years), boss and first to release Cal Tjader, lyrics added by Abby Lincoln, made truly famous by Coltrane (probably 4-5 versions), Roland Kirk (playing TWO horns at once), McCoy Tyner (on piano), John McLaughlin (fusion), Dave Valentine (Cuban flute) John Pattitucci (solo bass) Poncho Sanchez (Salsa conguero), Andy Summers, Chicago Afrobeat, Govt Mule (orig and several boots), Derek Trucks (studio and live), Lizz Wright (modern jazz vocals) Lionel Louke (African Guitar) Santana, John Schofield (Jam) ,Harold Maybern (Gregory Porter on male vocals),Robert Glasper (experimental jazz), Sasha Masakowski (New Orleans)....and a bunch I dont recall right now.

From 3 -33 minutes each. All different. All interesting. Its about the playing for me. I think I have the full album for most if not all. But it is nice to have a common theme to compare and contrast.

53.MoralityULack » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:50 pm

getting bullied by VD over music on the internet. :sadwalk:
You expressed your opinion. Tville flip flopprd and expressed your opinion and threw out his favorite CDs. I expressed my opinion.

54.JookJoint » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:27 am

Some rock musicians have played covers too

Allmans - Fillmore East 4 covers
Clapton - Layla 5 covers
Stones - Exile 2 covers
Hendrix - Electric Ladyland 2 covers
Janis - Cheap Thrills - 3 covers
Skynyrd - One More from the Road - 3
Led Zeppelin- I - 3
SRV - Texas Flood - 4
I have no issue with covers. I just never heard covers being pimped over originals.
I have 30+ versions of Afro Blue from writer Mongo (orig and 4-5 versions with various size bands over the years), boss and first to release Cal Tjader, lyrics added by Abby Lincoln, made truly famous by Coltrane (probably 4-5 versions), Roland Kirk (playing TWO horns at once), McCoy Tyner (on piano), John McLaughlin (fusion), Dave Valentine (Cuban flute) John Pattitucci (solo bass) Poncho Sanchez (Salsa conguero), Andy Summers, Chicago Afrobeat, Govt Mule (orig and several boots), Derek Trucks (studio and live), Lizz Wright (modern jazz vocals) Lionel Louke (African Guitar) Santana, John Schofield (Jam) ,Harold Maybern (Gregory Porter on male vocals),Robert Glasper (experimental jazz), Sasha Masakowski (New Orleans)....and a bunch I dont recall right now.

From 3 -33 minutes each. All different. All interesting. Its about the playing for me. I think I have the full album for most if not all. But it is nice to have a common theme to compare and contrast.
"So What" is another great example of this....

55.MoralityULack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:45 pm

I just checked. I have 18 So Whats. Though it mostly jazz guys. Now I have to see what other versions there are.

Looks like the winner may be Summertime. I have 59. And I wasn't even trying.

User avatar 56.angrigator » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:34 pm

I just checked. I have 18 So Whats. Though it mostly jazz guys. Now I have to see what other versions there are.

You act like anybody cares. Please stfu

57.evil gator » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:57 pm

hahaha damn

58.shutout » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:31 pm

You expressed your opinion. Tville flip flopprd and expressed your opinion and threw out his favorite CDs. I expressed my opinion.
That's just mockery to incite one of your idiotic, ill-conceived, misapprehensive rants. My point stands, and is valid in spite of your aching butt over having some mediocre pet fringe artist insulted.

59.MoralityULack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:37 pm

You act like anybody cares. Please stfu
I was conversing with Jook. Not you. If you would stay out of other peoples conversation maybe you would not be so lost.

60.MoralityULack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 pm

That's just mockery to incite one of your idiotic, ill-conceived, misapprehensive rants. My point stands, and is valid in spite of your aching butt over having some mediocre pet fringe artist insulted.
Well, you obviously are very uninformed and narrow minded about music. I'm not offended. I just wanted to keep you making an ass out of yourself again by mischaracterizing things you don't know anything about.

61.evil gator » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:46 pm

hahaha

62.rampart » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Well, you obviously are very uninformed and narrow minded about music. I'm not offended. I just wanted to keep you making an ass out of yourself again by mischaracterizing things you don't know anything about.
Narrow minded?

Any music made after 1973 is shitty / VD

63.evil gator » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:58 pm

yeah everyone is narrow minded unless you are narrow minded LIKE HIM

64.Tommy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Thing about ol VD, that bitch can take a punch, he just keeps coming back.

65.evil gator » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:03 pm

because he never accepts he's had his ass handed to him

User avatar 66.evs' Boytoy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Other than that one encounter with the police.

67.evil gator » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Other than that one encounter with the police.
zing!

68.shutout » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Look, you dumb sack of incohate shit. First of all, as usual, you're resorting to ad hominems without bothering to go back and re-parse the conversation to see what the fucking point was. Secondly, I grew up in a music studio, my father owned a music store, Buz Butler was my godfather, I learned piano from the keyboard player for Toto, and I've been in bands for 32 straight fucking years - nevermind that I can play any instrument in a western tuning. In fact, I can play every song on your stupid list better than you can listen to them. You are the absolute most Dunning-Kruger motherfucker ever to stalk the fucking internets. I hope your bathwater catches fire. Dick.

69.evil gator » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:45 pm

damn, is that the most melty blue has ever been?

User avatar 70.RIP » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:45 pm

nananuke

71.shutout » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 pm

damn, is that the most melty blue has ever been?
It's Thursday!

72.PG. » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Mule Train'd

73.JookJoint » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:47 pm

I get where VD is coming from with the jazz/bluegrass analogy...similar scenario in skating...Rodney Mullen invented damn near every street skateboarding trick known to man back in the late 70's and early 80's (in Gainesville, btw)...you can create all the new tricks you want but if you can't master Rodney's tricks (or, at least, the most common ones) then you are shit...

74.MoralityULack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:47 pm

Narrow minded?

Any music made after 1973 is shitty / VD
I understand how you arrived at this incorrect conclusion. That was the PEAK of ROCK. A steep curve up from about 1967 and down to about 1977. After which good NEW rock bands are the exception.

In fact, I have probably less than 1500 albums before that date and about 5000 after. A blues revival came and went. A little blip of neo surf/desert noir. There has been an enduring jazz revival. There is as much good jazz now as the 50s. Bluegrass is at its absolute peak today. Austin and New Orleans continue to be little islands of various music. Eighty percent of the time I am in the car I listen to classical and I go to the symphony 3-4 times a year.

Music didn't end in 73 but it was downhill for rock since.

75.evil gator » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:47 pm

in fact, one might call it a meltshow

Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else