Old

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 76.evs' Boytoy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:49 pm

nananuke

User avatar 77.panamag8or » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:49 pm

I get where VD is coming from with the jazz/bluegrass analogy...similar scenario in skating...Rodney Mullen invented damn near every street skateboarding trick known to man back in the late 70's and early 80's (in Gainesville, btw)...you can create all the new tricks you want but if you can't master Rodney's tricks (or, at least, the most common ones) then you are shit...
Nice mutt reference.

78.evil gator » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:49 pm

That's just mockery to incite one of your idiotic, ill-conceived, misapprehensive rants. My point stands, and is valid in spite of your aching butt over having some mediocre pet fringe artist insulted.
Well, you obviously are very uninformed and narrow minded about music. I'm not offended. I just wanted to keep you making an ass out of yourself again by mischaracterizing things you don't know anything about.
Look, you dumb sack of incohate shit. First of all, as usual, you're resorting to ad hominems without bothering to go back and re-parse the conversation to see what the fucking point was. Secondly, I grew up in a music studio, my father owned a music store, Buz Butler was my godfather, I learned piano from the keyboard player for Toto, and I've been in bands for 32 straight fucking years - nevermind that I can play any instrument in a western tuning. In fact, I can play every song on your stupid list better than you can listen to them. You are the absolute most Dunning-Kruger motherfucker ever to stalk the fucking internets. I hope your bathwater catches fire. Dick.
I hate seeing this stuck on the last page

User avatar 79.RIP » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:52 pm

nananuke
He killed him! As God is my witness he's broken in half!

80.Tommy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:53 pm

I almost feel sorry for the lil fella

81.MoralityULack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 pm

That's just mockery to incite one of your idiotic, ill-conceived, misapprehensive rants. My point stands, and is valid in spite of your aching butt over having some mediocre pet fringe artist insulted.
Well, you obviously are very uninformed and narrow minded about music. I'm not offended. I just wanted to keep you making an ass out of yourself again by mischaracterizing things you don't know anything about.
Look, you dumb sack of incohate shit. First of all, as usual, you're resorting to ad hominems without bothering to go back and re-parse the conversation to see what the fucking point was. Secondly, I grew up in a music studio, my father owned a music store, Buz Butler was my godfather, I learned piano from the keyboard player for Toto, and I've been in bands for 32 straight fucking years - nevermind that I can play any instrument in a western tuning. In fact, I can play every song on your stupid list better than you can listen to them. You are the absolute most Dunning-Kruger motherfucker ever to stalk the fucking internets. I hope your bathwater catches fire. Dick.
I did look back. I posted music from a dozen of the most popular bluegrass bands, some of which Tville named as his favorites, and you characterized them as unknown. I believe you don't know them. But most people with broad interest in music do. I was trying to inform you. Then you started the insults.

I don't doubt that you have had a lot of musical experiences. I am sure if I wanted to know a certain piano chord you would be the person to ask. But you obviously don't know much about the bands listed. This obviously outside of your expertise. So....I am not sure how it is relevant to this discussion.

82.Tommy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:26 pm

People that like new bands that no one likes who cover iconic tunes for attention but can’t write their own shit for shit can fuck off and die.
Several of those bands were bands that you previously named as your favorites..
You lying sack of squirrel shit, i never said any of those bands were my favorite.

83.evil gator » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:35 pm

honestly never though this is how he would go

84.MoralityULack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 pm

People that like new bands that no one likes who cover iconic tunes for attention but can’t write their own shit for shit can fuck off and die.
You lying sack of squirrel shit, i never said any of those bands were my favorite.
Oh you are right. I had more bands and I had Greensky in there twice and Mandolin Orange in the list too, but I pared it down I cut them all out because they weren't as good. I stand corrected.

85.rampart » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:50 pm

Narrow minded?

Any music made after 1973 is shitty / VD
I understand how you arrived at this incorrect conclusion. That was the PEAK of ROCK. A steep curve up from about 1967 and down to about 1977. After which good NEW rock bands are the exception.

In fact, I have probably less than 1500 albums before that date and about 5000 after. A blues revival came and went. A little blip of neo surf/desert noir. There has been an enduring jazz revival. There is as much good jazz now as the 50s. Bluegrass is at its absolute peak today. Austin and New Orleans continue to be little islands of various music. Eighty percent of the time I am in the car I listen to classical and I go to the symphony 3-4 times a year.

Music didn't end in 73 but it was downhill for rock since.
I wasn’t being literal, I just pulled 1973 out of my ass. Also, you are very fng wrong about rock music going downhill after whatever year you want to Imagine is the peak of rock

86.Tommy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Oh you are right. I had more bands and I had Greensky in there twice and Mandolin Orange in the list too, but I pared it down I cut them all out because they weren't as good. I stand corrected.
:shock:

87.MoralityULack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Narrow minded?

Any music made after 1973 is shitty / VD
I understand how you arrived at this incorrect conclusion. That was the PEAK of ROCK. A steep curve up from about 1967 and down to about 1977. After which good NEW rock bands are the exception.

In fact, I have probably less than 1500 albums before that date and about 5000 after. A blues revival came and went. A little blip of neo surf/desert noir. There has been an enduring jazz revival. There is as much good jazz now as the 50s. Bluegrass is at its absolute peak today. Austin and New Orleans continue to be little islands of various music. Eighty percent of the time I am in the car I listen to classical and I go to the symphony 3-4 times a year.

I wasn’t being literal, I just pulled 1973 out of my ass. Also, you are very fng wrong about rock music going downhill after whatever year you want to Imagine is the peak of rock
An argument could be made for pretty much any year between 1969 and 1973. It would turn on a a few stupendous albums each year. But 73 had the most volume of good music I think. After that there were some good repetitive albums and some horrible attempts to make something new(synthesizer sounds). There was a slight upswing from the "punk"(ish) bands ie Ramones, Replacements, Talking Heads, Jason and the Scorchers...but the number of good bands was tiny and the bad were legion. It was like the flowering of a sick orange tree just before it dies.

If you disagree state your case.

88.rampart » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:41 pm

An argument could be made for pretty much any year between 1969 and 1973. It would turn on a a few stupendous albums each year. But 73 had the most volume of good music I think. After that there were some good repetitive albums and some horrible attempts to make something new(synthesizer sounds). There was a slight upswing from the "punk"(ish) bands ie Ramones, Replacements, Talking Heads, Jason and the Scorchers...but the number of good bands was tiny and the bad were legion. It was like the flowering of a sick orange tree just before it dies.

Let me just skip to the end, it’s all opinion and arguing about it is stupid.

User avatar 89.panamag8or » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 pm

This could also apply to the political thread... hint, hint.

90.PG. » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:17 pm

The music died in 1959/don mclean

91.MoralityULack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:25 pm

If we don't argue, what would we do?

92.rampart » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:48 pm

Right back at ya sport

93.Tommy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:50 am

Talk football and the beautiful agony of the noles

94.gatorbreeze » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:54 am

And raise glasses of beer towards the future implosion of auburn.

95.rampart » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:59 am

And raise glasses of beer towards the future implosion of auburn.
Yes to beer. Yes to imploding auburn.

96.MoralityULack » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 am

Tempting :169:

97.Tommy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Vd - have you heard the band of heathens rmake of Ray Charles a message from the people revisited?

98.MoralityULack » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Vd - have you heard the band of heathens rmake of Ray Charles a message from the people revisited?
I downloaded a day or two ago. I haven't heard it yet. I think I have all their stuff. They used to have a weekly gig where different people would sit in.

99.Tommy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Its really interesting, and a great message

100.MoralityULack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:17 pm

You mentioned Sturgill. He has a great message too....
The country outlaw live-streamed the whole performance, and at one point, he gave a mock CMA acceptance speech that would likely never have made it to air. “Nobody needs a machine gun, and that’s comin’ from a guy who owns quite a few guns,” he said. “Gay people should have the right to be happy and live their life any way they want to and get married if they want to without fear of getting drug down the road behind a pickup truck. Black people are probably tired of getting shot in the streets and being enslaved by the industrial prison complex. Hegemony and fascism is alive and well in Nashville, Tennessee. Thank you very much.”

And on the subject of Pres. Donald Trump (and fascism), Simpson answered very straight-forwardly: "He's a fascist fucking pig and I'm not afraid to say that."
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else