Here we go again.... Hurricane Irish Mike

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

151.9508 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:48 am

Cool read.

That house also sheltered the one behind it.
I was fascinated by the story. They estimated it doubled the cost per square foot. But it looked like it was worth every penny.

152.GFY » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:48 pm

Cool read.

That house also sheltered the one behind it.
I was fascinated by the story. They estimated it doubled the cost per square foot. But it looked like it was worth every penny.
Built to withstand 250 MPH winds. That's impressive.
Abortion has never about "choice" It's about escaping the consequences of your choices by taking all choices away from another human being.

153.evil gator » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:31 pm

yeah that's interesting about that house. We have a friend who lives in the Indian Ocean and they routinely build houses like that. Obviously they cost a lot more, but if you're rich I don't know why you wouldn't.

User avatar 154.Denver-Gator » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm

yeah that's interesting about that house. We have a friend who lives in the Indian Ocean and they routinely build houses like that. Obviously they cost a lot more, but if you're rich I don't know why you wouldn't.
Nowadays, it seems like fewer custom homes are built. It seems like a lot of tract housing is being built where the incentive is to build it as inexpensively as possible, sell it and make your money. If you read that article, there's a lot of concrete reinforcement in that custom home. I bet there aren't a lot of tract homes built like that in Florida.

155.evil gator » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Nowadays, it seems like fewer custom homes are built. It seems like a lot of tract housing is being built where the incentive is to build it as inexpensively as possible, sell it and make your money. If you read that article, there's a lot of concrete reinforcement in that custom home. I bet there aren't a lot of tract homes built like that in Florida.
no, but along an expensive piece of coastline I'd imagine its different. anyway, I still think its stupid to be building and living on barrier islands and or floodplains. Nature wins.

156.52:20 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:07 pm

no, but along an expensive piece of coastline I'd imagine its different. anyway, I still think its stupid to be building and living on barrier islands and or floodplains. Nature wins.
I just bought on high ground on a canal in Jax, the house across the canal from me is much lower and flooded three feet in last years hurricane. Guy moved in a couple weeks before me, paying $150k more for his house. The flood had to be disclosed, not sure I could ever rationalize that. Before I’m jumped on, my house doesn’t even require flood insurance, but I Took it anyway.

157.evil gator » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:08 pm

I just bought on high ground on a canal in Jax, the house across the canal from me is much lower and flooded three feet in last years hurricane. Guy moved in a couple weeks before me, paying $150k more for his house. The flood had to be disclosed, not sure I could ever rationalize that. Before I’m jumped on, my house doesn’t even require flood insurance, but I Took it anyway.
good luck with that!

User avatar 158.Denver-Gator » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Just got back from PC. Panama City proper is still fucked. Big traffic jams from people coming in from the Panama City Beach to the mainland every day to work the recovery, then big traffic jams leaving at the end of the day. The city won't be back for years. About 1/2 the businesses have reopened. Still, many homes left vacant after the storm with literally nothing done. Trees still on roofs.

User avatar 159.Panamag8or » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:43 pm

I don't want to go back, it would f me up to see it like that. The pics I see from my friends are bad enough.

User avatar 160.MoralityULack » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Ive been thinking a lot about renting vs owning housing. We certainly have made money with investments in houses. But renting means you can live in N.O. or Key West or on a barrier island, invest the money elsewhere, and let somebody else take the disaster risk.
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

User avatar 161.Denver-Gator » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:06 pm

I don't want to go back, it would f me up to see it like that. The pics I see from my friends are bad enough.
Yeah, many of the people who remained are still all freaked out about things.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else