name brands vs generics

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

1.JookJoint » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:24 pm

there are certain things I won't buy generic...one of them being paper towels...I only use Bounty...anyone else?

2.JookJoint » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:24 pm

I also won't buy generic cola

3.9508 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Generic cheese.

User avatar 4.RIP » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:33 pm

at the risk of continuing to sound like a shill for Costco the Kirkland brand has been great so far. My house is slowly filling up with everything they make.

5.Juggs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:39 pm

at the risk of continuing to sound like a shill for Costco the Kirkland brand has been great so far. My house is slowly filling up with everything they make.
Plenty of Sams "Members Mark" stuff is decent as well.

Most stuff is identical to name brand for all generic. Often it's even made at the exact same facility and publix pays to put their own label on it.

Toilet paper and paper towels are the 2 things I will never budge on. Bounty and Charmin Ultra Soft.

Agree on cheeses as well. Cereal, there's usually a difference...but I haven't eaten cereal in years. I buy publix sodas because they're only $1 a 2 liter, sometimes BOGO as well, and my kid doesn't know the damn difference.

User avatar 6.panamag8or » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm brand loyal to a few things, but most publix brand things are good enough. My MIL just buys whatever is cheapest, even if it means grocery shopping at dollar tree. She grew up poor and wears it like a badge of honor. She thinks she is smart for paying fifty cents less for paper towels, but doesn't grasp that you have to use twice as many, thus negating any savings. Same with shitty dish soap. She (and the oldest stepkid) are all about cost, with no concept of value.

User avatar 7.ufgators68 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Most stuff is identical to name brand for all generic. Often it's even made at the exact same facility and publix pays to put their own label on it.

Toilet paper and paper towels are the 2 things I will never budge on. Bounty and Charmin Ultra Soft.

Agree on cheeses as well. Cereal, there's usually a difference...but I haven't eaten cereal in years. I buy publix sodas because they're only $1 a 2 liter, sometimes BOGO as well, and my kid doesn't know the damn difference.
The Sam's Club paper towels and toilet paper are just as good.

User avatar 8.RIP » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:06 pm

same for Kirkland. I never buy name brand paper anymore.

9.MoralityULack » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:07 pm

My wife decides these things after more research than I think necessary, Tide, Clorox, Glad, Head & Shoulders, Irish Spring, Bounty, Puffs> longtime Kleenex, Great Northern > longtime Charmin, Toms > longtime Crest

I cant think of much else thats a standard brand. ie we dont eat cookies , jello, ice cream, bread, chips, crackers, jelly, peanut butter, etc. Local beer and hot sauce.

User avatar 10.Cus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:42 pm

there are certain things I won't buy generic...one of them being paper towels...I only use Bounty...anyone else?
This is an odd thing to be that picky about.

11.Juggs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:45 pm

I have a hard time believing Sam's TP is as soft as Charmin Ultra soft :beatsme:

12.Juggs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Oh and I buy the paper towels and TP at Sams....it's not worth the $3 saved to buy 18 rolls of Sams stuff and find out it's not as good :lol:

User avatar 13.Denver-Gator » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Generic cheese.
Generic Beer

Although, it was quite appealing at $1.50 a six pack in college

14.Supes44444 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:14 pm

I like generics for the most part. Some things I definitely don't budge on. TP and paper towels for sure. Publix brands on most things are almost always made at the same facility as the good brands like Juggs said so I have no problem with getting Publix stuff. Even canned veggies or other food items, I don't mind getting generic unless I notice a remarkable difference.

15.gatorbreeze » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:20 pm

I like generics for the most part. Some things I definitely don't budge on. TP and paper towels for sure. Publix brands on most things are almost always made at the same facility as the good brands like Juggs said so I have no problem with getting Publix stuff. Even canned veggies or other food items, I don't mind getting generic unless I notice a remarkable difference.
Four square with you on TP.

16.evil gator » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Name brand paper towels, toilet paper, ziplocks, the cheaper just aren't worth it. Also skin & haircare always spend $$$.

The aldi and other store brands for "simple" food are generally fine.

17.Juggs » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Good call on ziplocks. The cheap ones tear down the side just opening them up.

18.evil gator » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:52 pm

yes, who got time for that??

User avatar 19.panamag8or » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Or, once you open them, the seal is so mangled you can't close them again.

20.shutout » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:41 pm

The Publix double-ply is as good as any of the $20 TP brands.

Garbage bags, on the other hand.. no compromise there. Hefty brand double stretchy wall scented or GTFO.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else