Organic matter found on Mars

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

2.Juggs » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:23 pm

Cool.

I’ve been ridiculed many times in the past for my belief that our understanding of life is limited. Just because we are a carbon based life form, doesn’t mean other form of being has to be. The response is always, “life has to be carbon based or it couldn’t exist”....Says who? Our laws of science don’t have to apply to the rest of the galaxy. It’s naive and arrogant.

I bet there’s some alien on mars laughing his ass off as he walks past our Rover all invisible, Predator style.

User avatar 3.Cus » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:35 pm

I bet there’s some alien on mars laughing his ass off as he walks past our Rover all invisible, Predator style.
Like martian kids at a school crossing

4.HG 2.0 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:42 pm

User avatar 5.GFY » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:46 pm

If there are martians, I am sure trump would rape them too /VD

User avatar 6.Denver-Gator » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Cool.

I’ve been ridiculed many times in the past for my belief that our understanding of life is limited. Just because we are a carbon based life form, doesn’t mean other form of being has to be. The response is always, “life has to be carbon based or it couldn’t exist”....Says who? Our laws of science don’t have to apply to the rest of the galaxy. It’s naive and arrogant.

Say's who? Says the Horta!!! :nerd:

User avatar 7.DocZaius » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:03 pm

Cool.

Our laws of science absolutely apply to the rest of the galaxy. We don't understand everything yet, for sure, but the things we do understand are literally universal.

That said, non-carbon-based life is technically possible, but carbon is by far the most likely. I don't think any scientist will tell you otherwise.

8.shutout » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:04 pm

Cool.

Our laws of science absolutely apply to the rest of the galaxy. We don't understand everything yet, for sure, but the things we do understand are literally universal.

That said, non-carbon-based life is technically possible, but carbon is by far the most likely. I don't think any scientist will tell you otherwise.
There's non-carbon life on earth..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... edirect=on

pretty sure I saw sulphur-based, too, but too lazy to google.

9.Juggs » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:06 pm

You have no proof in saying all of our laws must apply to everything, everywhere. You’ve no idea what evolution or whatever may have occurred elsewhere.

User avatar 10.angrigator » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:09 pm

You have no proof in saying all of our laws must apply to everything, everywhere. You’ve no idea what evolution or whatever may have occurred elsewhere.
Uh.......... shit stinks and water flows downhill. Pretty universal.

User avatar 11.Cus » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:10 pm

Except in space.

12.Juggs » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:10 pm

Actually the idea of smell could entirely change based on the environment or evolution.

Look at hoarders. They’ve no idea how bad they stink. They’ve adapted to their environment to not have that sense. Poor example.

13.Gino » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Actually the idea of smell could entirely change based on the environment or evolution.

Look at hoarders. They’ve no idea how bad they stink. They’ve adapted to their environment to not have that sense. Poor example.
Just like blacks.

User avatar 14.DocZaius » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Cool.

That bacteria was still carbon-based. It lacked phosphorus and used arsenic instead.

User avatar 15.DocZaius » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Maybe we're discussing two different ideas. We have pretty good evidence through observation that most of the principles we consider to be universal laws are just that - universal. Gravity, for example, or the speed of light, or the way known chemicals interact with each other.

Of course, a planet with a different environment may spawn a different kind of life - that doesn't mean the laws we have come to accept are any different on that planet.

User avatar 16.Irish Mike » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Maybe we're discussing two different ideas. We have pretty good evidence through observation that most of the principles we consider to be universal laws are just that - universal. Gravity, for example, or the speed of light, or the way known chemicals interact with each other.

Of course, a planet with a different environment may spawn a different kind of life - that doesn't mean the laws we have come to accept are any different on that planet.
Laws are constant, until they're not. We're still looking for the Theory of Everything, man!

17.shutout » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:28 pm

That bacteria was still carbon-based. It lacked phosphorus and used arsenic instead.
I was wrong. You're a carbon chauvinist, and your mom's a whore.

User avatar 18.Irish Mike » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 pm

He's a fucking anti - sulphite.

19.shutout » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Bannings for all biobigots!

User avatar 20.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:08 pm

Y'all get the fuck outta the gene pool!

User avatar 21.angrigator » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:42 pm

Especially because reb shit in it.

22.Juggs » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:54 am

:lol:

23.gatorbreeze » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:54 pm

:popcorn: Science smack!

User avatar 24.panamag8or » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:15 am

Organic matter, eh?

Wait, Mex has been running on Mars?

25.MDG » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Cool.

Maybe you're just being ridiculed in general?
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else