electric cars worse for the environment

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

1.evil gator » Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 pm

https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2 ... ent-000660

I've heard bits and pieces of this for a while now, but this is some pretty comprehensive number crunching.

The will likely be better when renewables replace fossil fuels for energy, but for now they are worse.

User avatar 2.99inNC » Tue May 15, 2018 1:36 pm

I've heard bits and pieces of this for a while now, but this is some pretty comprehensive number crunching.

The will likely be better when renewables replace fossil fuels for energy, but for now they are worse.
I have heard rumblings of this in the past. My old company made a big push years ago for anyone who bought the Nissan Leaf. They created multiple reserved spaces with the fueling ports. It didn't promote a lot of sales.

3.Juggs » Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 pm

hahahahahahaha

4.evil gator » Tue May 15, 2018 1:44 pm

I have heard rumblings of this in the past. My old company made a big push years ago for anyone who bought the Nissan Leaf. They created multiple reserved spaces with the fueling ports. It didn't promote a lot of sales.

User avatar 5.99inNC » Tue May 15, 2018 1:53 pm

ahahaha

6.evil gator » Tue May 15, 2018 1:57 pm

this is a good cautionary tale about pushing technology before all the facts are in - at one point, diesel cars were being pushed as being better for the environment - luckily America didn't fall as hard for that nonsense as Europe did

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... w-asbestos

User avatar 7.DocZaius » Tue May 15, 2018 2:05 pm

California also just passed a law requiring all new houses to be solar-powered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/09/busi ... power.html

When I was out there in March, I noticed a lot of houses already had solar.

If you combine electric cars with solar power, nationwide, do we then come out ahead?

I wouldn't mind getting solar for my house but I'd be worried that the panels would catch the wind and take my roof off during a hurricane.

8.HG 2.0 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:08 pm

If you combine electric cars with solar power, nationwide, do we then come out ahead?

I wouldn't mind getting solar for my house but I'd be worried that the panels would catch the wind and take my roof off during a hurricane.
I would tend to say yes ....

But as soon as more people convert to solar, the price of electricity will sky rocket .. not enough monthly to support a damn expensive infrastructure

9.evil gator » Tue May 15, 2018 2:33 pm

I would tend to say yes ....

But as soon as more people convert to solar, the price of electricity will sky rocket .. not enough monthly to support a damn expensive infrastructure
while the solar may be a problem if you're hit directly, it can keep you powered if the power station is knocked out for any length of time. a friend of mine in Orlando has them and had power after the last storm

10.MoralityULack » Tue May 15, 2018 7:29 pm

It always seemed counterintuitive that building a big belching flame to send electricity over lossy lines to a car was "efficient". This study is actually makes electricity look better than I thought. It shows that there isn't a big difference now. And you gotta start somewhere. It is like building highways before they are clogged 10 years later.

One point not mentioned though is that this model moves pollution from dense populations areas to less populated areas. I believe one of evil's arguments was against uniform standards because people should be able to pollute all they want in the boonies.

11.MoralityULack » Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 pm

There is a lot of solar here. We have too many trees on our lot.

I looked on the internet and found it to be surprisingly cheap to charge an electric car with home solar. Though it is definitely front loaded.

12.evil gator » Wed May 16, 2018 5:04 pm

It always seemed counterintuitive that building a big belching flame to send electricity over lossy lines to a car was "efficient". This study is actually makes electricity look better than I thought. It shows that there isn't a big difference now. And you gotta start somewhere. It is like building highways before they are clogged 10 years later.

One point not mentioned though is that this model moves pollution from dense populations areas to less populated areas. I believe one of evil's arguments was against uniform standards because people should be able to pollute all they want in the boonies.
I never said anything of the sort you lying Nazi piece of shit. I am a firm supporter of the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts, both of which instruct EPA to allow input from states.

Policies like this that you fully support are actually worse for the environment, proving your hypocrisy.

13.MoralityULack » Thu May 17, 2018 7:36 pm

I never said anything of the sort you lying Nazi piece of shit. I am a firm supporter of the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts, both of which instruct EPA to allow input from states.

Policies like this that you fully support are actually worse for the environment, proving your hypocrisy.
This was several years ago, but you were all up in arms because of some group in some place like Wyoming or Idaho was suffering under the boot of Federal regulations. (They weren't some big corporation with enough money to buy a congressman, so I am guessing they were part of some white supremacist militia in Idaho in order that you would give a shit). They were belching pollution and you said that they should be exempt from standards that others were held to because only the antelope suffered.

14.evil gator » Thu May 17, 2018 8:37 pm

This was several years ago, but you were all up in arms because of some group in some place like Wyoming or Idaho was suffering under the boot of Federal regulations. (They weren't some big corporation with enough money to buy a congressman, so I am guessing they were part of some white supremacist militia in Idaho in order that you would give a shit). They were belching pollution and you said that they should be exempt from standards that others were held to because only the antelope suffered.
are you drunk? you are mixing about 40 different things together in your crazy quilt again. do you even understand how state and federal regulations work? apparently not.

15.MoralityULack » Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Just commenting on your ironic whining a few years ago.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else