Encee's review of "Hostiles"

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 1.99inNC » Mon May 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Short synopsis: White people and red people could both be cruel and vengeful. If you didn't get enough of Christian Bale leading a dangerous expedition guiding dangerous people whilst fighting dangerous people in "3:10 to Yuma" then this is the film for you.
Some great scenery. It's a Western. Painfully slow at times.

Don't watch it on a Sunday night if you are tired. Otherwise, it was a decent watch.

2.Juggs » Mon May 14, 2018 1:00 pm

I completely forgot about that movie.

User avatar 3.Cus » Mon May 14, 2018 1:21 pm

I completely forgot about Christian Bale.

4.lil numby » Mon May 14, 2018 1:53 pm

I completely forgot about Christian Bale.
he hasn't been in much since the big short 2 1/2 yrs ago. i think he's been focused on getting fat for that dick cheney movie.

User avatar 5.99inNC » Mon May 14, 2018 2:03 pm

It's not bad, it's just...long and you'll definitely feel like you've been there before.

6.evil gator » Mon May 14, 2018 3:35 pm

why have all historical adventure stories gotten so tedious? its like they all fall in love with their own cinematography and expect us to.

7.shutout » Mon May 14, 2018 3:38 pm

i fell asleep.

8.Juggs » Mon May 14, 2018 3:51 pm

why have all historical adventure stories gotten so tedious? its like they all fall in love with their own cinematography and expect us to.
This is why Tombstone will never be topped.

User avatar 9.99inNC » Mon May 14, 2018 3:53 pm

i fell asleep.
Oh, I dozed a few times. I made it to the end and felt like I'd seen it before.

And to your point, Evs...yes. Unlike with "Godless" where the cinematography and story-telling were both great...this one just made me feel like, "okay, that was a decent movie."

10.evil gator » Mon May 14, 2018 3:53 pm

its weird because historic tv shows tend to keep the action level up. Movies have become boring dirges so often

User avatar 11.99inNC » Mon May 14, 2018 3:55 pm

I do want to re-watch "Unforgiven" though.

12.Juggs » Mon May 14, 2018 3:57 pm

its weird because historic tv shows tend to keep the action level up. Movies have become boring dirges so often
There's a couple I tried to watch, like the Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall one....and as much as I want to watch a western, I can't make it through for those reasons.

13.shutout » Mon May 14, 2018 3:59 pm

the entire time we watched it i was thinking "we could be re-watching bone tomahawk or revenant."

User avatar 14.99inNC » Mon May 14, 2018 4:00 pm

the entire time we watched it i was thinking "we could be re-watching bone tomahawk or revenant."
Yeah. I thought, "Oh, didn't I just see this except it had more action and also had Ben Foster and Christian Bale?"

15.Juggs » Mon May 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Added to the watch list.

User avatar 16.Cus » Mon May 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Added to the watch list.
Bone Tomahawk freaked me right the fuck out.

User avatar 17.Cus » Mon May 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Rewatched the last scene of that on Youtube just this past Saturday.

18.Juggs » Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 pm

The last scene is really want makes the entire movie. It's a great movie, but without the last 5-10 minutes, it would have been average and people would have been complaining about how slow it was instead of remembering it as one of the best westerns or Eastwood movies ever.

User avatar 19.Cus » Mon May 14, 2018 6:18 pm

The last scene is really want makes the entire movie. It's a great movie, but without the last 5-10 minutes, it would have been average and people would have been complaining about how slow it was instead of remembering it as one of the best westerns or Eastwood movies ever.
What I find interesting about that scene is...we've all seen Clint in that scene lots of times before...where he walks into the den of bad guys, gives the Clint Squint, then kills everyone. But in Unforgiven, same scene but the look is completely different, more of a dead soul look like a shark.

20.Juggs » Mon May 14, 2018 6:19 pm

What I find interesting about that scene is...we've all seen Clint in that scene lots of times before...where he walks into the den of bad guys, gives the Clint Squint, then kills everyone. But in Unforgiven, same scene but the look is completely different, more of a dead soul look like a shark.
Yeah, but it's a huge jump from the old films with a young Eastwood with less technical capability to when Unforgiven was made.

User avatar 21.Cus » Mon May 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Yeah, but it's a huge jump from the old films with a young Eastwood with less technical capability to when Unforgiven was made.
True. I know Clint had a much different attitude towards making Westerns by the time he did Pale Rider and Unforgiven.

Still got the great Clint line though: "He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his store with my friend"

22.Juggs » Mon May 14, 2018 6:32 pm

True. I know Clint had a much different attitude towards making Westerns by the time he did Pale Rider and Unforgiven.

Still got the great Clint line though: "He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his store with my friend"
Absolutely. It's easily in my top favorite movie endings. It's just perfect.

User avatar 23.Irish Mike » Mon May 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Absolutely. It's easily in my top favorite movie endings. It's just perfect.
When i first saw it and he grabs the bottle of booze while being told about ned, I was like "oh shit..."

User avatar 24.Irish Mike » Mon May 14, 2018 8:45 pm

There's a couple I tried to watch, like the Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall one....and as much as I want to watch a western, I can't make it through for those reasons.
Open Range is a good, simple story. Never felt the need to rewatch it though

25.evil gator » Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 pm

open range is an example of a movie that just went on too long
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else