Well shit...

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 1.ufgators68 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:08 am

I spent $65 buying parts to rebuild a 25 year old Abu Garcia reel only to find out there was a piece of trash, in a gear, causing all of the problems.

Could have bought a nice bottle of whiskey instead.

2.rampart » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Friend of mine replaced his entire AC unit for $4000, he used a big company to get zero percent interest. A couple months later it's not cooling like it should. He calls his usual ac guy to come out and look at it. Says there's a leak in the hose that runs from the units outside to the handler in the garage. It will cost $700 to replace the hose. Thing is, that might have been all the was wrong with the old unit and he spent $4000 when he didn't have to.

User avatar 3.ufgators68 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:35 pm

He could have bought a few nice bottles of whiskey. :shock:

4.rampart » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Yeh he could've. He has the worst luck of anyone I know. He had a pipe flood his entire house. Went to Disney last weekend, got in a wreck totaling the car, this ac thing... there's other stuff that I'm sure I'm forgetting too. All within the last year or two.

My wife called to tell me our ac wasn't working the other day while I was at work. Hoping it was just some ice build up on the coils I had her turn it off. Got home in the morning, ac was on, 72 in the house. I'm dreading the day my ac goes. It's original to the house, built in 2004.

5.52:20 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:58 pm

Yeh he could've. He has the worst luck of anyone I know. He had a pipe flood his entire house. Went to Disney last weekend, got in a wreck totaling the car, this ac thing... there's other stuff that I'm sure I'm forgetting too. All within the last year or two.

My wife called to tell me our ac wasn't working the other day while I was at work. Hoping it was just some ice build up on the coils I had her turn it off. Got home in the morning, ac was on, 72 in the house. I'm dreading the day my ac goes. It's original to the house, built in 2004.
Contractor unit? 14 years is a really good run on it.

User avatar 6.Irish Mike » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:02 am

I'm on year 10 with the POS I bought down in Hialeah and had a friend put in. :pray:

7.rampart » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:04 am

Came with the house as far as I know, I bought it 4 years ago. I knew I'd have to replace it sooner than later but trying to get every bit of use I can. The coils in the handler went bad a couple of summers ago. One guy said there was nothing he could do, needed a new unit. Then I called my friends guy and he had a used coil in his shop and fixed it for very little cash. I will call him before I do anything

8.52:20 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:24 am

I’ll be selling my house early next year. I was trying to extend an old ass unit to pass on to the next guy. No luck, crapped out on me during the hurricane last year.

User avatar 9.RIP » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:30 am

We got 16 years out of our little unit and the big one is still going skrong.

10.GFY » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:45 am

14 years? Must be a POS. The unit I put in has a 10 year warranty. The in-laws have a unit that is near 20 years old and runs great.

Here is what I went with. 2500.00 for a 4 ton package.

https://www.goodmanmfg.com/products/pac ... eer-gpc15h

11.Gino » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:35 am

HVAC guys are the construction industry "gypsies"...particularly in Florida brother. Worse than kikes.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else