Minimum Wage

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

1.evs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:38 pm

in the mocking people who weren't here, anyone recall skag getting beat the hell up about wanting a high minimum wage? Seattle just found that it hurts the people it was intended to help.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... f957c9b73c

User avatar 2.99inNC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:40 pm

in the mocking people who weren't here, anyone recall skag getting beat the hell up about wanting a high minimum wage? Seattle just found that it hurts the people it was intended to help.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... f957c9b73c
I can attest to that after a recent trip. Customer service in Seattle is not what I would say is great. Actually rather rude in some cases.

3.52:20 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:56 pm

They still wont believe it, fucking mayor is brushing it aside saying unemployment is down. They will go to the grave arguing for stupid policies in the face of contradicting facts.

4.evs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:57 pm

They still wont believe it, fucking mayor is brushing it aside saying unemployment is down. They will go to the grave arguing for stupid policies in the face of contradicting facts.
yep, lets be like france with their 8 week vacations and 15% unemployment, workers paradise.

5.Juggs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:58 pm

hahahahahah. Good.

Too bad this didn't come out before the crash

6.52:20 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:58 pm

yep, lets be like france with their 8 week vacations and 15% unemployment, workers paradise.
and get arrested if you work more than 35 hours a week.

7.evs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:07 pm

and at least 10 hours of that involves standing around judging others' shoes

User avatar 8.99inNC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:14 pm

:lol: :lol:

9.evs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:31 pm

dammit

User avatar 10.99inNC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:57 pm

dammit
It's the "Sophie's Choice" of TGB validation.

11.rampart » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:25 pm

The title of the article is pretty click baitish. The article is a bit more nuanced than stupid liberals are wrong and stupid. Not saying I've made up my mind on this issue, but this study, though convincing on its own, isn't definitive when considering other possible affecting factors given in the article. Just seems hard to form a factual conclusion in such a short period of time. But if you've already made up your mind against min wage hikes then yeh, I'm sure this study will make you happy.

12.Juggs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:31 pm

The title of the article is pretty click baitish. The article is a bit more nuanced than stupid liberals are wrong and stupid. Not saying I've made up my mind on this issue, but this study, though convincing on its own, isn't definitive when considering other possible affecting factors given in the article. Just seems hard to form a factual conclusion in such a short period of time. But if you've already made up your mind against min wage hikes then yeh, I'm sure this study will make you happy.
Fair enough, but there is clearly some legit evidence. Whether or not you want to include big employers like Wal Mart....eh. I think leaving that information out is good, see how it fucks with small business owners and not large corporations. It makes some solid points...why pay $15/hr for some part time minimum wagers when you can pay $20-$25/hr and hire someone full time, more qualified, and able to do the job of 2 or 3 part timers? It's just smart business.

13.evs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:34 pm

well I guess it goes both ways if you don't want to believe it, you won't. And I mean it's hardly fox news saying this, it's the Washington post, great friend of conservatives everywhere.

Again I go back to France, supposedly a worker's paradise with free healthcare, 8 weeks vacation, all sorts of protections...which simple economics make tough to hire anyone so there's very high unemployment.

14.rampart » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:39 pm

well I guess it goes both ways if you don't want to believe it, you won't. And I mean it's hardly fox news saying this, it's the Washington post, great friend of conservatives everywhere.

Again I go back to France, supposedly a worker's paradise with free healthcare, 8 weeks vacation, all sorts of protections...which simple economics make tough to hire anyone so there's very high unemployment.
Sure, the article cited the EPI which clearly wasn't going to agree with the study. I just don't think the Real outcome can be known in a short period of time.

15.HawaiianGator » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Fair enough, but there is clearly some legit evidence. Whether or not you want to include big employers like Wal Mart....eh. I think leaving that information out is good, see how it fucks with small business owners and not large corporations. It makes some solid points...why pay $15/hr for some part time minimum wagers when you can pay $20-$25/hr and hire someone full time, more qualified, and able to do the job of 2 or 3 part timers? It's just smart business.
still lost is that generally min wage jobs are not intended to be careers. in a free market artificially creating unearned value for a service is a dangerous precedent. for example value for first responders and teachers are instantly devalued as housekeeping and fast food are elevated to that of a skilled trade. people DO deserve the opportunity to earn a sustainable wage, but that must come with the slightest bit of investment on the individuals part to improve themselves with some skill training. most of what i see is just raw pure lazy - zero effort wanted. the other part obviously is drug testing. good reason certain people do not advance - they'd have to stop smoking weed.

we have pole vaulted past the "personal responsibility" phase and we now have generations of consistent under performing unmotivated "work force"

16.Juggs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:25 pm

still lost is that generally min wage jobs are not intended to be careers. in a free market artificially creating unearned value for a service is a dangerous precedent. for example value for first responders and teachers are instantly devalued as housekeeping and fast food are elevated to that of a skilled trade. people DO deserve the opportunity to earn a sustainable wage, but that must come with the slightest bit of investment on the individuals part to improve themselves with some skill training. most of what i see is just raw pure lazy - zero effort wanted. the other part obviously is drug testing. good reason certain people do not advance - they'd have to stop smoking weed.

we have pole vaulted past the "personal responsibility" phase and we now have generations of consistent under performing unmotivated "work force"
Well sure, but we've already given that dog it's bone and there's no taking it back now.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else