winter olympics

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

26.evil gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:02 pm

I don't have rich friends here. Most of them ski. I'm not sure how it's an elitist sport? It's about elitist as golf.
the fact you're so defensive is telling. "I don't have rich friends" is akin to "I have lots of minority friends!"
Again, if it's an elitist sport, then we must have a lot of elite people here crowding the roads to the mountains every weekend. Look at all those Mercedes and BMWs on the road!!!
see my last post. That's not every road in the US, it's Denver and Vermont and Idaho.

User avatar 27.Denver-Gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:06 pm

but again, skiing in a narrow geographic area like new England or Denver or WA state is different than the whole rest of the country where its not an option and is just boring to watch.
That's a little different than "elitist". And of course it's regional in a sense, but not quite as narrow as you would think. About 35 states have at least one ski area.

A lot of folk would say watching skinny white guys riding a bike over mountains is kind of boring too.

28.evil gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 pm

but again, skiing in a narrow geographic area like new England or Denver or WA state is different than the whole rest of the country where its not an option and is just boring to watch.
That's a little different than "elitist". And of course it's regional in a sense, but not quite as narrow as you would think. About 35 states have at least one ski area.

A lot of folk would say watching skinny white guys riding a bike over mountains is kind of boring too.
well sure it's elistist in the US; I fully admit that.

but a simple googling will tell you skiing has one of the highest incomes of any sport.

golf USED to be elistist but it's become less so over the years; too many of the old rich white guys dying off so they've somewhat successfully gotten more redneck involved.

User avatar 29.angrigator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm not what you would consider rich, and have skied quite a bit even prior to moving to Colorado from Florida. And nordic skiing is about the cheapest thing you can do, whether you're in the mountains or the plains of Indiana.
I love it when you try to act like skiing isn't elitist.
I don't have rich friends here. Most of them ski. I'm not sure how it's an elitist sport? It's about elitist as golf.
I think golfers feel like they are elitist.

30.MoralityULack » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:35 pm

Evil, have you been to say, Breckinridge or Steamboat or the like during ski season. I never got the impression it was elitist. I ran across a snooty waiter in Aspen once, but the mountain and most bars there are not that way.

I understand it is not cheap or easy for people in flat states. But lots of common vacations are expensive without being "elitist".

User avatar 31.Cus » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:59 pm

I like the Alpine skiing stuff and the luge, skeleton, bobsled, etc. The Nordic ski jump? I'm all over that shit. Hockey too.

Curling, figure skating, and those long ass ski events can f the f off.

32.evil gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm

I've been to ski resorts. Its not a traditional country club elitism, its a you don't have the best skis/equipment snoot.

Certainly, for most folks outside a few geographic areas, its limited to the wealthy.

User avatar 33.Denver-Gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 pm

I've been to ski resorts. Its not a traditional country club elitism, its a you don't have the best skis/equipment snoot.

Certainly, for most folks outside a few geographic areas, its limited to the wealthy.
I just don't see it. After graduating, I got into skiing and did at least a one week vacation every year to go living in WPB with friends. None of us lived in on Palm Beach island or hung at Mar-o-lago. It's how we chose to spend our vacation time and money, but wasn't a crazy expensive elitist thing to do at all.

Hell, the North East isn't a limited geographical area. A huge percentage of the US population lives there, and is within a few hours of skiing. From DC, you can easily drive up to somewhere like (~4 hours) SnowShoe for a long weekend, and it's not a crazy expensive nor elitist thing to do.

34.evil gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm

I just don't see it. After graduating, I got into skiing and did at least a one week vacation every year to go living in WPB with friends. None of us lived in on Palm Beach island or hung at Mar-o-lago. It's how we chose to spend our vacation time and money, but wasn't a crazy expensive elitist thing to do at all.

Hell, the North East isn't a limited geographical area. A huge percentage of the US population lives there, and is within a few hours of skiing. From DC, you can easily drive up to somewhere like (~4 hours) SnowShoe for a long weekend, and it's not a crazy expensive nor elitist thing to do.
so you're not as rich as trump therefore can't be UMC? haha okay.

the people I know who go on ski vacations from here are generally upper middle class or richer. I don't know anyone who grew up of moderate means who skis regularly.

User avatar 35.Denver-Gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 pm

the people I know who go on ski vacations from here are generally upper middle class or richer. I don't know anyone who grew up of moderate means who skis regularly.
Then your experience is different than mine. Of course you have to have some money to ski, but it's just not some sort of richie-rich sport like polo. Most areas have reasonable season ticket prices, so if you live close by regular folks ski like everyone else. And anybody with enough money to take an an annual week or two vacation, has enough "wealth" to take a ski vacation if they so choose.

36.evil gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:29 pm

Then your experience is different than mine. Of course you have to have some money to ski, but it's just not some sort of richie-rich sport like polo. Most areas have reasonable season ticket prices, so if you live close by regular folks ski like everyone else. And anybody with enough money to take an an annual week or two vacation, has enough "wealth" to take a ski vacation if they so choose.
yeah but certain activities cater to the rich, a simple google of the demographics proves it: skiing vacays, going to Europe,etc this is just a different level than going to the Ozarks or Dollywood, I'm not sure why you're not willing to admit it.

User avatar 37.evs' Boytoy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:30 pm

DO YOU...

eh, feck it.

38.MoralityULack » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm

I lived in California, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. I am not a great skier, but once a year or so, I have been to a lot, maybe most, of the big name ski resorts. I detest snooty places. I am going to approach every interaction with the minimum formality. I have never encountered an attitude from staff or guest other than once in Aspen . In fact, it is the opposite, I am thinking of retiring to a ski town because of the relaxed culture and other outdoor activities. I never had anyone mock me for my rental equipment.

I was introduced to skiing when I was at EY. The staff is not rich. We rented a condo and a bunch of us went. We did it every year. I kept it up after. Then my wife and I went. If you can go to San Francisco, Cancun, or Jazzfest you can go skiing in the west.

Perhaps in the northeast skiing is a status thing. I don't know. I went one weekend to New England and it was so icy that I didn't ski.

You should go to Crested Butte sometime.
Last edited by MoralityULack on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar 39.Denver-Gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:16 pm

I lived in California, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. I am not a great skier, but once a year or so, I have been to a lot, maybe most, of the big name ski resorts. I detest snooty places. I am going to approach every interaction with the minimum formality. I have never encountered an attitude from staff or guest other than once in Aspen . In fact, it is the opposite, I am thinking of retiring to a ski town because of the relaxed culture and other outdoor activities.

I was introduced to skiing when I was at EY. The staff is not rich. We rented a condo and a bunch of us went. We did it every year. I kept it up after. Then my wife and I went. If you can go to San Francisco, Cancun, or Jazzfest you can go skiing in the west.

Perhaps in the northeast skiing is a status thing. I don't know. I went one weekend to New England and it was so icy and I didn't ski.

Crested Butte is great, and one of the least pretentious places on the planet. Like any vacation, on a ski vacation you can go the pampered snooty route. But the vast majority of ski areas and ski towns are just as you say, a relaxed culture with plenty of other outdoor activities.

40.Fishon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:35 pm

one of the more pointless arguments on TGB. and that's saying something

41.gatorbreeze » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:23 pm

:lol:

User avatar 42.evs' Boytoy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Just when you think we can't possibly lower the bar any further....we come out swinging.

User avatar 43.Denver-Gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:34 pm

It's what we do!!! 8-)
I'm not sure why you're not willing to admit it.
Because you're wrong about it. :teef:

44.evil gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:39 pm

It's what we do!!! 8-)
I'm not sure why you're not willing to admit it.
Because you're wrong about it. :teef:
demographics prove you wrong but whatevs, you can vd and share rememberances over artisanal brew

User avatar 45.Denver-Gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 pm

I lived in California, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. I am not a great skier, but once a year or so, I have been to a lot, maybe most, of the big name ski resorts. I detest snooty places. I am going to approach every interaction with the minimum formality. I have never encountered an attitude from staff or guest other than once in Aspen . In fact, it is the opposite, I am thinking of retiring to a ski town because of the relaxed culture and other outdoor activities.

Perhaps in the northeast skiing is a status thing. I don't know. I went one weekend to New England and it was so icy and I didn't ski.

Crested Butte is great, and one of the least pretentious places on the planet. Like any vacation, on a ski vacation you can go the pampered snooty route. But the vast majority of ski areas and ski towns are just as you say, a relaxed culture with plenty of other outdoor activities.
Have you been to Telluride?
Yes, but quite a while ago. That does tend to be one of the more high end resorts

User avatar 46.Denver-Gator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 pm

Have you been to Telluride?
Yes, but quite a while ago. That does tend to be one of the more high end resorts
You can go one of two routes...rent a condo in the town, or do the 'resort' thing on the basin side. I went for a week and did half of each. I thought town was much better. Tarrantino's "The Hateful Eight' was filming while I was there. Ran into Kurt Russell at a bar, but other than that, mainly just film crew types. It was a warm winter, so lots of other stuff to do..hiking, theater, great restaurants. It might be nice to go back during the summer. Only downside is it's in the middle of fucking nowhere. You can fly into Denver or Albuquerque and drive 4-5 hours, or, you can fly into Montrose and get there in maybe an hour and a half. I flew through Atlanta, and there's only one flight per week in and out of there on that route. It Was worth the extra $ for sure.
Summers are great anywhere in the mountains, but Telluride and the San Juans are spectacular mid-late September when the aspens change.

47.MoralityULack » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:22 pm

I love Telluride. I have been there maybe half a dozen times. In summer go to the Bluegrass Festival on the weekend nearest the summer solstice. Everything from old timey to acoustic jazz. Very deadsy. They have a jazz festival and blues festival too, but the bluegrass festival has been going since the 70s. The loop from Telluride to Durango to Silverton to Ouray is not to be missed. Best scenery I have ever seen. But Red Mountain pass to Ouray is spooky. Only do that part in good weather. The Durango Silverton train is worth doing (one way)and the fishing in the area is excellent. Yes stars abound but all the ones I have run into seem cool.

Hard to get to is why it is still cool. If you could take a 737 there it would be like Park City (still OK - but not what it used to be)

We have flown directly into Telluride from Denver a couple times. You have to take a 8-10 seater. It is an undulating strip on a Mesa in the mouth of the canyon that the town is in. Theres a drop of several hundred feet at the end of the runway. It looks like you are landing on an aircraft carrier. If you have to go around you have to fly up and out of a box canyon in thin air surrounded by 14ers. 1/5 flights that starts there diverts to Montrose. They don't try unless the weather is good. Very entertaining.

48.MoralityULack » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:29 pm

User avatar 49.evs' Boytoy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:33 pm

That road doesn't go anywhere.

50.Juggs » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:19 pm

and now suddenly VD is a ski expert and has been to most of the biggest ski resorts in the world....imagine my surprise face
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else