Replacing a door frame

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 1.RIP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:21 pm

How hard is it? Last night my MIL and wife went to check on a friend of the MIL who hadn't responded to calls in two days. They found her laying on her back unresponsive on the floor. The paramedics had to kick in the door and broke the frame so now her house can't be locked up (and it's not in a very good neighborhood). Is this something that a person with zero construction knowledge can do?

User avatar 2.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:27 pm

I don't see why not. Just get the door pre-hung in the frame. Take screws out of old one. The outdoor potion goes out and the indoor portion goes in. Cut the caulk with a blade to keep tearing of paint and material to a minimum. Slide the two new pieces in, level/square the best you can, put a couple of screws in and try the door. If everything seems fine and the gaps are good, screw it in, caulk the edges, slap some primer on the bare wood.

User avatar 3.RIP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 pm

I don't see why not. Just get the door pre-hung in the frame. Take screws out of old one. The outdoor potion goes out and the indoor portion goes in. Cut the caulk with a blade to keep tearing of paint and material to a minimum. Slide the two new pieces in, level/square the best you can, put a couple of screws in and try the door. If everything seems fine and the gaps are good, screw it in, caulk the edges, slap some primer on the bare wood.

Thanks Jabs. If her son doesn't do anything about it (and I expect he won't as he hasn't even been up to the hospital to see her yet) then I'll just have to do it.

User avatar 4.ufgators68 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:31 pm

I'll be doing the same thing next weekend.

User avatar 5.Irish Mike » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Most important thing is to get the hinge side dead level and plumb, after that close the door and shim the head and strike side so the gaps are equal.

User avatar 6.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:34 pm

Most important thing is to get the hinge side dead level and plum, after that close the door and shim the head and strike side so the gaps are equal.
Yes.

It isn't too hard to do by yourself, but an extra set of hands is always useful on this job.

User avatar 7.DocZaius » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Kicking in doors or getting taken to the hospital after being found unresponsive on the floor?

User avatar 8.Panamag8or » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:09 pm

Kicking in doors or getting taken to the hospital after being found unresponsive on the floor?
Since it's a payday weekend, probably a little bit of both.

User avatar 9.angrigator » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Did she die? If so, then no need to repair said door.

If she lives, go inside and screw door shut and use alternate entrance.

When she comes home, let her fix her own damn door.
That's our doctor of Divinity speaking right there folks. Let's give him a big hand. :golfclap:

User avatar 10.RIP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:13 pm

She's old as fuck and is broke.

User avatar 11.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:21 pm

You're a good dude, RIP.

User avatar 12.RIP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:45 pm

You're a good dude, RIP.
I'll probably padlock it for now and if she pulls through replace it. If she doesn't it's the son's problem.

User avatar 13.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Probably a good way to manage it. Can you secure it from inside and still exit the house?

User avatar 14.RIP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Probably a good way to manage it. Can you secure it from inside and still exit the house?
Yep. I'll take care of that tomorrow. I'm seriously doubting this lady makes it out of the hospital alive. Her cell phone only has 4 contacts. It's sad.

User avatar 15.Gator Rio » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:15 am

You are a good guy RIP.

User avatar 16.ufgators68 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:17 am

Yes.

User avatar 17.ufgators68 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:18 am

You are a good guy RIP.
Even the grim reaper has a weakness... other than dildos.

User avatar 18.evs' Boytoy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:55 am

You are a good guy RIP.
Even the grim reaper has a weakness... other than dildos.
Old ladies are easier to catch.

User avatar 19.RIP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:22 am

Dammit :lol:

User avatar 20.Flight of the Gator » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:16 am

I hope she pulls through. That is someones Grandmother and mom there....my thoughts and condolences.

User avatar 21.RIP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:00 pm

She's not going to make it. Her asshole son refuses to deal with this whatsoever and she needs someone to makes decisions for her (resuscitation, etc). I hate people.

22.Juggs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:11 pm

She's not going to make it. Her asshole son refuses to deal with this whatsoever and she needs someone to makes decisions for her (resuscitation, etc). I hate people.
Who else is allowed to make those decisions if she can't speak?

My grandma is gonna die soon. As soon as my aunt died a couple months ago and she didn't need to take care of her anymore, she said she was done. 86 and she's ready to die (she already had some health problems but she was mentally there)...now she's said fuck it and won't get treatment for her failing kidneys. Anyway, she's had for a while now a big medical sign right inside her front door for a DNR.

User avatar 23.RIP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Who else is allowed to make those decisions if she can't speak?

My grandma is gonna die soon. As soon as my aunt died a couple months ago and she didn't need to take care of her anymore, she said she was done. 86 and she's ready to die (she already had some health problems but she was mentally there)...now she's said fuck it and won't get treatment for her failing kidneys. Anyway, she's had for a while now a big medical sign right inside her front door for a DNR.
Nobody can make decisions for her at this point. If she codes they'll resuscitate her as many times as they can. We are worried that her son is going to just drop her dogs off at a kill shelter so we are trying to find a temporary home for them now.

24.Juggs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:24 pm

Sounds like someone needs an ass whooping

User avatar 25.RIP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:57 pm

The dogs are at my house now. Ugggggghhhhh. Anyone want a couple of sweet chihuahuas or know someone that does?
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else