UCF

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 1.panamag8or » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 pm

My twitter feed is choked with UCF "national champs" crap. They say, since bama did it in the 30's, they can do it now.

User avatar 2.RIP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:52 pm

My twitter feed is choked with UCF "national champs" crap. They say, since bama did it in the 30's, they can do it now.
They can call themselves whatever they want but the facts are that they were left out of the playoffs and have no claim to the title.

3.ufmc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:58 pm

I don’t blame them for capitalizing on this year and squeezing every last drop of publicity they can get. But they were fucked being ranked outside the top ten. If this kind of thing happens again next year I hope the Group 5 conferences sue the shit out of the CFP and either force this to 8 where it belongs or force the Power 5 into its own division within the NCAA.

4.52:20 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:31 pm

It’ll be a four team format till 2025 (or whenever the contract is up). They can bitch all they want, but the way it is was decided by the whole.

User avatar 5.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:01 pm

It’ll be a four team format till 2025 (or whenever the contract is up). They can bitch all they want, but the way it is was decided by the whole.
Come on, man. Money trumps contracts. If eight teams generates close to twice as much, it can be changed. They just have to have higher seeds host the first game or I ain't watching.

6.rynogator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:06 pm

If they want to complain about the system and claim they got screwed, I don't agree, but I'm fine with that. But claiming a pretend national championship? If I were a UCF alum I would be embarrassed by this move.

User avatar 7.Denver-Gator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:10 pm

How 'bout this. 7 conference games to determine seedings, then a 7 game single elimination tournament with 128 teams.

Problem solved!!!

User avatar 8.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:10 pm

I think it's kind of funny. Who is going to tell them no? How many other schools have claimed NCs? Bama has several simply because Southern Homes and Garden said they were the best team.

I still claim '84, damn it! :shakefist:

9.rynogator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:21 pm

I think it's kind of funny. Who is going to tell them no? How many other schools have claimed NCs? Bama has several simply because Southern Homes and Garden said they were the best team.

I still claim '84, damn it! :shakefist:
No one's going to tell them no. We're just all going to laugh at them for claiming a championship that they crowned themselves with. I don't even think there's a rinky dink magazine out there that has proclaimed them the national champions. They are going solely off of "we believe we earned it." This is "champions of life" level laughable imo.

User avatar 10.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Damn it. ryno will be randomly yelling insults at any UCF fans he sees. So angry.

11.evs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:31 pm

I don’t blame them for capitalizing on this year and squeezing every last drop of publicity they can get. But they were fucked being ranked outside the top ten. If this kind of thing happens again next year I hope the Group 5 conferences sue the shit out of the CFP and either force this to 8 where it belongs or force the Power 5 into its own division within the NCAA.
agree. they deserved to be there more than Bama.

It's dumb to have a team that didn't win their conf championship there (unless of course we get good again and get to go)

User avatar 12.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm

It's dumb to have a team that didn't win their conf championship there (unless of course we get good again and get to go)
Weren't we saying this last year about OSU (I think it was OSU)?

13.evs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:40 pm

yep. If you are going to be one of the top 4 you need to be a conference champ.

User avatar 14.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:42 pm

I don't completely agree, but I'm not totally against it.

15.evs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:45 pm

maybe, if there is d1 team that is undefeated, they get to go ahead of any conference non champs.

User avatar 16.Irish Mike » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Tough stance.

17.rampart » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:51 pm

Pretty sure Saban said the same thing :lol:

User avatar 18.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:52 pm

Tough stance.
I guess I won't really care until Florida is in the mix. :lol: You know, use the conference champs stance if it helps us. Otherwise, taking only conference champs creates the potential for leaving out a team that likely deserves to go and can't because the Pac12 suck ass champ gets the nod.

19.rynogator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Disagree strongly. If you want the best 4 teams you certainly don't want to go that route.

Let's say Team A plays in a conference where it plays 2 conference games that would be considered "quality wins" if they won them, but they lose both of those plus another non-conference game. However, because of the way the divisions work in their conference, they get into the CG with 3 losses and win.

Team B plays in a conference where it plays 6 conference games that would be considered "quality wins" and wins them all. They go to the conference championship game undefeated and lose to a Top 5 opponent in a double OT thriller.

I would not want a structure so rigid that I am forced to put in Team A over Team B. Team B is clearly the better team and I think whatever system is used for determining who gets into the playoff should have a way to make the strength of the conference you play in part of the analysis. It would be more unfair than anything that happens currently to do otherwise imo

User avatar 20.Denver-Gator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Disagree strongly. If you want the best 4 teams you certainly don't want to go that route.

Let's say Team A plays in a conference where it plays 2 conference games that would be considered "quality wins" if they won them, but they lose both of those plus another non-conference game. However, because of the way the divisions work in their conference, they get into to the CG with 3 losses and win.

Team B plays in a conference where it plays 6 conference games that would be considered "quality wins" and wins them all. They go to the conference championship game undefeated and lose to a Top 5 opponent in a double OT thriller.

I would not want a structure so rigid that I am forced to put in Team A over Team B. Team B is clearly the better team and I think whatever system is used for determining who gets into the playoff should have a way to make the strength of the conference you play in part of the analysis. It would be more unfair than anything that happens currently to do otherwise imo
:shot:

21.evs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Christmas light malingering season does his head in

22.Supes44444 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:26 pm

This is tough. UCF is undefeated. Do they deserve to be in the mix? I don't see why not except for the fact their conference always has that one team with 1 or 0 losses depending on the year.

23.rynogator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Christmas light malingering season does his head in
Let's simplify it for you. Making the conference championship a requirement for getting into a 4 team college football playoff would be moronic. It should be a data point that is weighed favorably into the overall analysis, but not a prerequisite.

At 8 teams, I would be fine with 5 conference champions and 3 at-large spots. That would give you plenty of latitude to put in a team like UCF if appropriate. I think such a model would get serious push back from the Notre Dame's and BYU's of the world though, as they would essentially only have access to 3 of the 8 spots.

User avatar 24.evs' Boytoy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Agree.

25.Juggs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:42 pm

That's all they should have access to. Fuck ND and their cunty attitude of always trying to slide in the back door because they refuse to join a conference.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else