Drunk Table

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

201.MoralityULack » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:26 pm

Blanton's is smooth as fuck. Zero burn when you add a tiny bit of ice. I hate scotch. Even JW blue tastes like eating a clump of bog sludge.
I'm not a fan of scotch, but my step dad has some stuff that is really good.
the only time I drink it is when someone else has a bottle and that is usually some variety of JW. I've tried the Green, the Gold, & the blue and hated them all. I'm a good drunk though and would never turn down a free drink if someone had something else to try.
They are all blended scotches. Its like putting a stout and an IPA and a Belgian ale in the blender and hitting the button. What you get is an average that is generally palatable. But it doesn't show any particular components traits. My best friend drank the blue - with ice - because it was smooth. But I converted him to the world of individual flavors. Now he drinks Laphroaig and the like.

User avatar 202.RIP » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:28 pm

I'm not a fan of scotch, but my step dad has some stuff that is really good.
the only time I drink it is when someone else has a bottle and that is usually some variety of JW. I've tried the Green, the Gold, & the blue and hated them all. I'm a good drunk though and would never turn down a free drink if someone had something else to try.
They are all blended scotches. Its like putting a stout and an IPA and a Belgian ale in the blender and hitting the button. What you get is an average that is generally palatable. But it doesn't show any particular components traits. My best friend drank the blue - with ice - because it was smooth. But I converted him to the world of individual flavors. Now he drinks Laphroaig and the like.
My buddy usually gets a bottle of blue every time he goes on a cruise. He'll be going in a couple of months. What should I tell him to get instead?

User avatar 203.evs' Boytoy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:34 pm

204.rampart » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:40 pm

I wish I could taste all of that in hard liquor, but all I get is hot, hotter, hottest. Granted I haven't paid top dollar but I've tried some highly rated bourbons and whiskeys?
I mixed liquor until my mid-late 30s. Probably the best thing I drank was Turkey - but with coke. Its what I learned from my parents. Then I went to this small target sized liquor store before a Windjammer cruise and asked for a great bottle of rum for inspiration. It was eye opening. After that I did real research and I plowed through other liquors. The real epiphany was 100% agave tequila after thinking Cuervo gold was good (its not even Tequila) and suffering for my ignorance.

Blantons is a great choice (Elmer T Lee is actually pretty much the same juice if you see that) . As another easy drinker you might try Evan Williams Single Barrel (the one with a vintage year). Not quite as flavorful as the others - but smooth. Clynelish 14 or Oban 14 are easy rather plain scotches. Caol Ila 12 is a smokey scotch that isn't QUITE as overpowering Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg 10. But to be honest I had the Laphroaig 10 first and loved it. With ANY smokey scotch you have to WANT to feel like you are drinking roofing tar though. Its a preference - like say crawfish or kimchee.
Much appreciated

User avatar 205.evs' Boytoy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:51 pm

One of the rare times he's useful.

206.MoralityULack » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:03 am

My buddy usually gets a bottle of blue every time he goes on a cruise. He'll be going in a couple of months. What should I tell him to get instead?

I bought quite a few unusual rare, and expensive things and I was usually disappointed. You dont have to listen to Brittany, but a 1920s field tape of voodoo drumming may be going to the other extreme. Most of the things I have settled on are pretty common.

There is a huge difference in what juice goes into different years (smoked grain or not, kind of grain, best or mundane barrel selection) and how it is aged (Bourbon or wine casks and how many times they have been used) so the specific product matters.

All tried. Actually I tried maybe 5-6 times this, in scotch bars, wasting money on bottles, or a place you can get mini bottles from England (Master or Malt). Have = * Had a bottle myself = %

For plain sort of beer like scotches. %Clynelish 14, %Oban 14, *Bruichladdich 10, %Arran 14 is not quite as smooth but a touch pear like. Springbank 10 - is a little harsher but very artisanal and flavorful and a touch smokey. Talisker 18 a little orange peally - similar to Johnny Walker (because it has it blended). Glenmorangie 18 (honeylike - some dismiss it as too easy)

Sherry cask agad - winey but I think these generally need to be older. Macallan 18 (crazy expensive now and it is OK but cruising on an old reputation) Better I think is *Glendronach 15 (rare these days) or maybe 18. Aberlour *16 or 18. *Bunnahabhain 18. %Springbank 15. %Springbank 12 Cask Strength(again Springbanks are harsher but flavorful)

Smokey *Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength as the ultimate winter fireplace log to the face( Most Laphroaigs are OK and recommended actually - but they all have some kick) (very strong), *Kilchoman vintage(I have 2008), %Caol Ila 18(not in US now - good boat find), %Caol Ila 12. %Bruichladdich Octomore - Overpriced. Lagavulin 8 & *12(seasonal and strong). %Ardbeg 10 very ashy not a sweet and mossy as Laphroag.

Smoke and Sherry both. * Kilchoman Loch Gorm, %Lagavulin 16 (some think this is the perfect everything scotch - so much so that it is a little ordinary to me - ie stairway to heaven in the song analogy), %Laphroaig Triple Wood. %Ardbeg Uigaedail (strong). %Highland park 18 has a hint of smoke and is not the smoothest but a lot like it. Heathery.
Last edited by MoralityULack on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar 207.RIP » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:05 am

all those names look like a cat walked across the keyboard

208.HG 2.0 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:07 am

One of the rare times he's useful.
JTG had similar quality recommendations but way less obnoxious on a regular basis

209.MoralityULack » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:11 am

Gaelic. The trend now is to create scotch with no age statement (so they can put young whisky in it, or slip young whiskey in it after its popular) and give the flowery long Gaelic names instead of an age. Some are good - now - but not a fan.

User avatar 210.ufgators68 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:24 am

Those are usually the best ones. :lol:

211.MoralityULack » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 am

Kilchoman Loch Gorm before walking to diner. Bye.

212.Juggs » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:58 am

Oh fucking hell shut the fuck up

User avatar 213.ufgators68 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:09 am

:lol:

214.MoralityULack » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:39 am

EH Taylor bourbon
Eagle Rare 10 year old.

Quail.

215.Juggs » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 am

No one believes any of this.

Hey everyone I drink these dozen different impossible to remember names every week and can also give a paragraph description of each in seconds. And then drop by minutes later to give more info on what I’m doing after I said goodnight.

:facepalm:

User avatar 216.ufgators68 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:58 am

Oh... he copy/pastes the hell out of this shit.

217.HG 2.0 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:04 am

EH Taylor bourbon
Eagle Rare 10 year old.

Quail.
Both of these are good values

218.Juggs » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:14 am

His whisky posts are actually the most obvious clue to his C/P

219.MoralityULack » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:20 am

No one believes any of this.

Hey everyone I drink these dozen different impossible to remember names every week and can also give a paragraph description of each in seconds. And then drop by minutes later to give more info on what I’m doing after I said goodnight.

:facepalm:
Two hours to walk to a restaurant have a drink eat a quail and walk back. How long does it take you to eat?

I remember them because I researched them, sampled them, and bought them. And I dont doubt that you dont know or cant recall the names of good scotch distillers.
Last edited by MoralityULack on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

220.MoralityULack » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:24 am

His whisky posts are actually the most obvious clue to his C/P
If that were true then you should have no trouble pasting the whole string in the browser and finding it. Dumbass.

User avatar 221.angrigator » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Gaelic. The trend now is to create scotch with no age statement (so they can put young whisky in it, or slip young whiskey in it after its popular) and give the flowery long Gaelic names instead of an age. Some are good - now - but not a fan.
They are mixing old and new with rum , giving it a fancy name Solera. They are ok but Zacapa XO from Guatemala is the best I’ve ever had. Aged a long time at altitude in casks previously used to age cognac. F’n unreal if you like rum. Kinda pricey. $85 at duty free shop. Never seen it for less than$100 in US.

222.rampart » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Stone Xocovasa... again. This stuff just doesn't get old. Kickass brew

223.MoralityULack » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:07 pm

They are mixing old and new with rum , giving it a fancy name Solera. They are ok but Zacapa XO from Guatemala is the best I’ve ever had. Aged a long time at altitude in casks previously used to age cognac. F’n unreal if you like rum. Kinda pricey. $85 at duty free shop. Never seen it for less than$100 in US.
I had a bottle years ago. It is excellent. I tried a bunch bout 20 years ago and that was my favorite. I don't drink much rum now. My current favorite is Brugal Extra Viejo from the DR. ~$28. I don't feel guilty pouring it into somebody's foo foo drink either. But I haven't done a head to head with Zacapa. The Barbancourt 15 is pretty good rum to drink while listening to drums and sticking pins into a Trump doll too. Theres probably a subjective element for me for picking island rums. Have you tried the older Abuelos? I have heard good things, but, like I said, dont have much occasion to buy rum now.

User avatar 224.RIP » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:45 am

My buddy Cheese (not the UF player obvs) got a raspberry pi and brought it and a shitload of beer over so I can set it up. Drank Dragon's Milk until I forgot how to load the OS :lol:. Watched bball destroy MSU tho :eg2:

225.shutout » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:23 am

Just turned a very cute 65 year old. She was piiiiiiiissed. Questionable tequila shots. Wilco on touch tunes.

Drinking with Lil John is on my bucket list.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else