Drunk Table

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

826.rampart » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:37 pm

Need some fairly available recommendations for bourbon, scotch, cognac, 30-50$ range or there abouts.
All of the jap whiskeys are fucking phenomenal.
:howdy:

User avatar 827.MoralityULack » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:11 am

Need some fairly available recommendations for bourbon, scotch, cognac, 30-50$ range or there abouts.
And expensive for the ones with an age statement.

You cant get really GREAT bourbon any more. They take all the best barrels and put it into stuff that goes for $1000 a bottle on the secondary market. Four Roses Single barrel is the available bourbon I have. It is high rye which is more like fruitcake which I like. The Pappy obsession is because it is high wheat which is more like powdered donuts. Not my thing. I dont know of a good wheated choice you can actually buy. I like the Breckinridge bourbon. One of the first "craft" whiskeys I liked. It is very mild though. Long ago I liked the Elijah Craig Single Barrel was harmless. I havent had it in a while and things change. Basil Haydens is another you can find that is OK.

Rye is a little easier. I think EH Taylor Rye is great. Higher than your range by a little. <70?. High West Rendezvous Rye is great. Its a blend of theirs and stuff they bought. Maybe a chain will have it under 60? The younger Double Rye is OK. Sazerac and various Turkey ryes are drinkable.

I dont drink much lighter scotches. The one Ive settled on is close to 100 and hard to find. For a lighter plain whiskey though, I just discovered Powers John's Lane Irish 12 year. Its similar to the popular Redbreast 12 by the same distillery (different brand) but less sherry.

For sherried Scotch I like Bunnahabhain 12. Aberlour 16 is OK. Both in range I think.

For smokey Scotch Ardbeg 10 is standard and in your range. It is very clear because they dont filter and dye it. For a little more you can get the ultimate punch in the mouth with Laphroig 10 Cask Strength. Hot roofing tar. Mmmmm. Richer than the ardbeg. Its a bargain really. 55? You can drink it straight or water it down if you want and its better than the regular Laphroig 10 which I find a little off sometimes. I can explain why if you care.

I have not found an affordable cognac I like. The one I have has doubled to $150 now and I wont repurchase.
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

828.9508 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:25 am

Just stick with rum. Tons of great options for 50 or less.

829.rampart » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:20 pm

Thanks guys. I bought a 375 of Woodford reserve double barrel. Was thinking of trying some wild turkey 101 and russels

User avatar 830.99inNC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:36 pm

Dammit, I miss rum. Gives me murderous heartburn. But I loved it so much.

831.9508 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:38 pm

This makes me sad.

User avatar 832.99inNC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:45 pm

This makes me sad.
It makes you sad?

833.9508 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 pm

This makes me sad.
It makes you sad?
I figured it was a given for you.

User avatar 834.99inNC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 pm

This makes me sad.
It makes you sad?
I figured it was a given for you.
I appreciate your empathy, sir.

835.Fishon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:58 pm

And expensive for the ones with an age statement.

You cant get really GREAT bourbon any more. They take all the best barrels and put it into stuff that goes for $1000 a bottle on the secondary market. Four Roses Single barrel is the available bourbon I have. It is high rye which is more like fruitcake which I like. The Pappy obsession is because it is high wheat which is more like powdered donuts. Not my thing. I dont know of a good wheated choice you can actually buy. I like the Breckinridge bourbon. One of the first "craft" whiskeys I liked. It is very mild though. Long ago I liked the Elijah Craig Single Barrel was harmless. I havent had it in a while and things change. Basil Haydens is another you can find that is OK.

Rye is a little easier. I think EH Taylor Rye is great. Higher than your range by a little. <70?. High West Rendezvous Rye is great. Its a blend of theirs and stuff they bought. Maybe a chain will have it under 60? The younger Double Rye is OK. Sazerac and various Turkey ryes are drinkable.

I dont drink much lighter scotches. The one Ive settled on is close to 100 and hard to find. For a lighter plain whiskey though, I just discovered Powers John's Lane Irish 12 year. Its similar to the popular Redbreast 12 by the same distillery (different brand) but less sherry.

For sherried Scotch I like Bunnahabhain 12. Aberlour 16 is OK. Both in range I think.

For smokey Scotch Ardbeg 10 is standard and in your range. It is very clear because they dont filter and dye it. For a little more you can get the ultimate punch in the mouth with Laphroig 10 Cask Strength. Hot roofing tar. Mmmmm. Richer than the ardbeg. Its a bargain really. 55? You can drink it straight or water it down if you want and its better than the regular Laphroig 10 which I find a little off sometimes. I can explain why if you care.

I have not found an affordable cognac I like. The one I have has doubled to $150 now and I wont repurchase.
Weller has a good wheated bourbon that is fairly availabe

836.Fishon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:00 pm

Thanks guys. I bought a 375 of Woodford reserve double barrel. Was thinking of trying some wild turkey 101 and russels
101 and russells reserve are both good. I've seen a bunch of places recommend buffalo trace as really solid entry whisky, but I've yet to try it myself.

837.Juggs » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:20 pm

wtf?

Buffalo Trace is hands down the best bourbon in its price range and better than a lot in the upper price range.

User avatar 838.MoralityULack » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:30 pm

The Weller you can still get is kinda meh for me. Maybe it’s just my taste - as noted I like something heavier. I recently retried regular turkey which I drank back in the day...probably better than most cheap whiskey but It doesn’t scream buy it. Buffalo trace has a good flavor but it’s a little rough for me. I assume this is all consumed straight up. There are a lot of different Russell’s now. Everything I’ve had is good. Should have mentioned it. Definitely as good as the ones I mentioned
Trump got his deferments for the wrong thing. They shouldn't have been for his disappearing, imaginary bone spurs - they should have been for that yellow streak down his back. - Sen. Duckworth - Pilot who lost both legs in Iraq

User avatar 839.MoralityULack » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Bookers is another on the high end. Objectively I have mixed feelings about saying it is as great as the price. Maybe as a single barrel it is variable. But it is a sentimental favorite. Many good times

User avatar 840.99inNC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:06 pm

Anyone had any of the Four Roses offerings?

841.Tommy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:19 pm

I smoked an amazing cigar this week - Casa Cuba Divine Inspiration, a Fuente line...

842.Juggs » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:39 pm

I smoked an amazing cigar this week - Casa Cuba Divine Inspiration, a Fuente line...
Been thinking about getting back into cigars. I haven't kept up with my humidor in forever, but I have 2 or 3 that still feel smokeable. I just packed them since I'm leaving for camp early in the morning for several days. I've always smoked cigars at Alafia.

843.rampart » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:46 pm

VD mentioned liking the single barrel. I want to try the small batch or the single barrel

User avatar 844.ufgators68 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:53 pm

I'm not a fan. Buffalo Trace is better.

User avatar 845.ufgators68 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:53 pm

wtf?

Buffalo Trace is hands down the best bourbon in its price range and better than a lot in the upper price range.
Agreed.

User avatar 846.MoralityULack » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:04 pm

VD mentioned liking the single barrel. I want to try the small batch or the single barrel
I was unimpressed by the small batch. But there is a new small batch select that is getting a lot of love. I want to try it. There is a line of special releases in the small batch bottle. I bought one long ago and my wife found me one for Christmas one year. The gift was My all time favorite. But you are more likely to see a Sasquatch

847.Tommy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:22 pm

Been thinking about getting back into cigars. I haven't kept up with my humidor in forever, but I have 2 or 3 that still feel smokeable. I just packed them since I'm leaving for camp early in the morning for several days. I've always smoked cigars at Alafia.
I might can find you one or two

E57D3D5B-4C62-4099-B426-76919FEAB814.jpeg
E57D3D5B-4C62-4099-B426-76919FEAB814.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 20 times

User avatar 848.evs' Boytoy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:38 pm

I've had both and liked both. I liked the single barrel a little better than the small batch, but both are good.

User avatar 849.evs' Boytoy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:39 pm

I might can find you one or two
E57D3D5B-4C62-4099-B426-76919FEAB814.jpeg
Igloodor?

User avatar 850.99inNC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm

Never been a cigar fan.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else