Mullen-Era Shlinks

Moderators: shutout, evs' Boytoy, Irish Mike

User avatar 1776.99inNC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:23 pm

NFL experience all over the new Florida staff. Podcast.
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/flor ... experience

User avatar 1777.Cus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Sunseri chose to come to UF because "3 title rings aren't enough". Man, I hope he gets a shit ton more here.
https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Flor ... -115083161

How Gators' new coach resembles past national champions.
http://gridironnow.com/dan-mullen-resem ... champions/
Now, Buddy Martin is old and he readily admits that many of us are prone to gushing over Mullen after what we just experienced under Mac. So take that under consideration before you read his list of why Mullen is the next Gator football Jesus. :lol:
1. A brilliant offensive football mind (both Spurrier and Meyer) I agree.
2. Sensational play-caller (Spurrier) Many will recollect their love/hate with the dive play, but I agree.
3. Strategic, has a plan to win (Meyer) I think most coaches have "a plan" it's just many of them suck.
4. Can develop three-star prospects into four- and five-star players (Both) He did do this at MSU and at UF.
5. Super-competitive and hates to lose (both) I think those goes for almost all coaches.
6. Passionate (both) Again, see #5. I think Mac started as passionate, he just has a douche persona.
7. Thrilled to be on the job at Florida and makes football fun (Spurrier) Yes, this.
8. A superb recruiter (Meyer) I don't know if I'm in the "superb" boat, yet. Yet.
9. Loves the challenge of being the underdog (Spurrier) Yeah, I see him embracing this.
10. Swagger: Cocky, brash, gutsy (Spurrier) Yeah, I agree here.
One thing I want to see again....during the spurrier era, our teams walked on the field KNOWING they would win, while our opponent HOPED they would win ...
I want to see the Swamp make it legitimately on lists of places teams "hate to play" and are just in fucking awe of being there.
Yes yes, that sense of doom you could see on the opposing players faces.

User avatar 1778.Cus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Moolens making the line of scrimmage a point of emphasis. Kind of a no-brainer, but yeah, it's important to do something about that.
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/flor ... -scrimmage
Having spent 14 years in the SEC as a head coach (Mississippi State, 2009-17) and offensive coordinator (Florida, 2005-08), Mullen has first-hand experience with the battles that take place in the trenches.
Well, 9 years at MSU and 4 years at UF is only 13 years, but you get the point.
Meh, Muschamp called it a "line of scrimmage league" every other sentence. Problem was he only thought about one side of it.

User avatar 1779.99inNC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 pm

One thing I want to see again....during the spurrier era, our teams walked on the field KNOWING they would win, while our opponent HOPED they would win ...
I want to see the Swamp make it legitimately on lists of places teams "hate to play" and are just in fucking awe of being there.
Where the opposing offense is at 3rd and 13 and it's so loud that they're entering the early stages of tinnitus. And they have to call at minimum 2 timeouts during the game due to crowd noise.

User avatar 1780.Cus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Where the opposing offense is at 3rd and 13 and it's so loud that they're entering the early stages of tinnitus. And they have to call at minimum 2 timeouts during the game due to crowd noise.
And when approaching the line on said 3rd and 13 you could tell by their body english that they just wanted to throw their incomplete pass and hand it over to the punt team.

User avatar 1781.99inNC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:51 pm

And when approaching the line on said 3rd and 13 you could tell by their body english that they just wanted to throw their incomplete pass and hand it over to the punt team.
Yep. Or fuck it, just consider punting on third down. Like the way Spurrier would say when the offense wasn't going well. :lol:

User avatar 1782.RIP » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:05 pm

From one of the new GC writers

Maybe this is beating a dead horse at this point, but in each of Pat Dooley's last two podcast episodes, he's made a point to talk about what some people told him about last year's football practices. Specifically, he said that these people told him the Gators had "no shot" at being good on offense because mistakes weren't corrected on the spot in practice. If a player did something wrong, i.e. a receiver didn't run a route properly, they were told what they did wrong but weren't made to do it again until they got it right.

It kind of blows my mind that coaches wouldn't have players do it again until they got it right, because if they don't actually do it right and get told it was right, how will they know what getting it right feels like? It seems kind of unbelievable, but then, they often looked on the field like a team that didn't really know what doing it right feels like.

So if you need another reason for optimism, here's one for you. It would seem from these reports that Florida's offensive practices were run ineptly last year, and there could be at least some amount of improvement simply from better practice habits. I know we've been guessing that the new coaches will get more out of the players, but here's one specific way it might happen.

User avatar 1783.99inNC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Maybe this is beating a dead horse at this point, but in each of Pat Dooley's last two podcast episodes, he's made a point to talk about what some people told him about last year's football practices. Specifically, he said that these people told him the Gators had "no shot" at being good on offense because mistakes weren't corrected on the spot in practice. If a player did something wrong, i.e. a receiver didn't run a route properly, they were told what they did wrong but weren't made to do it again until they got it right.

It kind of blows my mind that coaches wouldn't have players do it again until they got it right, because if they don't actually do it right and get told it was right, how will they know what getting it right feels like? It seems kind of unbelievable, but then, they often looked on the field like a team that didn't really know what doing it right feels like.

So if you need another reason for optimism, here's one for you. It would seem from these reports that Florida's offensive practices were run ineptly last year, and there could be at least some amount of improvement simply from better practice habits. I know we've been guessing that the new coaches will get more out of the players, but here's one specific way it might happen.
Yeah, coaching 101 tells you that you should generally try to see the player perform the action correctly before moving on.

User avatar 1784.99inNC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Grantham says "good working relationship" with Mullen brought him to Florida.
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/todd ... ht-florida

1785.Fishon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 pm

where were these reports when mac was renegotiating his buyout? he should have been fired for cause

User avatar 1786.GFY » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 pm

User avatar 1787.RIP » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Man I was hoping he'd help tank LSU.

User avatar 1788.99inNC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:11 pm

User avatar 1789.Cus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Yep. Or fuck it, just consider punting on third down. Like the way Spurrier would say when the offense wasn't going well. :lol:
Consider hell, didn't he actually do it once? LOL!

Oh, and I believe this is the type of thing we're talking about.

User avatar 1790.evs' Boytoy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:21 pm

yeah he did. Home game, but I don't remember the opponent.

1791.HG 2.0 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 pm

I thought is was LSU. He was completely disgusted at the time...

User avatar 1792.evs' Boytoy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:24 pm

I was thinking LSU or UT, so you may be correct.

User avatar 1793.Cus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Either Jesse or Brock was at QB as I recall.

1794.Fishon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:31 pm

It happened a couple of times between 99 and 00 seasons. I'm pretty sure he did it against MSU in 2000. that was a shitshow

User avatar 1795.panamag8or » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 pm

It happened a couple of times between 99 and 00 seasons. I'm pretty sure he did it against MSU in 2000. that was a shitshow
MSU, '97.

User avatar 1796.Cus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:44 pm

MSU, '97.
Ah, that would've been Doug Johnson.

1797.Fishon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 pm

MSU, '97.
not sure what this means. I'm referring to the 2000 game where Jesse started, our run defense got steamrolled, and Rex was put in at the end of the game (i believe he took an intentional safety on a 3rd down at one point).

1798.52:20 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 pm

I thought is was LSU. He was completely disgusted at the time...
His comment afterwards was something like “I don’t have any 3rd and 24 yard plays”

1799.evil gator » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:58 pm

that is the kind of thing only SOS at his peak could get a away with.

1800.gatorbreeze » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 pm

where were these reports when mac was renegotiating his buyout? he should have been fired for cause
I don't recall phat pat mentioning any of this while it was going on...i don't follow him in print or pod so maybe he did but he is supposed to be a fucking journalist. Fire pat! :mad:
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else