The Rona 3.0

Moderators: Irish Mike, shutout, Jabbroni

User avatar 626.Irish Mike » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:51 am

My kids are all back. They've been home enough.

627.Juggs » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:57 pm

My kids are all back. They've been home enough.
Yep. 95 I expected it. I didn't expect NC to be such a pussy about it :lol:

628.Tommy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:00 pm

:lol:

User avatar 629.99inNC » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:29 pm

Well, our governor and your governor are very different, juggs. lol.

At some point you have to mitigate risk and try to reopen things up. Our governor is wishy-washy.

630.evil gator » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm

juggs stat about his daughter's school is a good argument for opening schools. Teacher's unions have been ridic, I would be pissed if I had a fuck trophy.

User avatar 631.Irish Mike » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 pm

juggs stat about his daughter's school is a good argument for opening schools. Teacher's unions have been ridic, I would be pissed if I had a fuck trophy.
I think my kids accounted for half the covid cases in their school. :lol:

632.52:20 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:41 pm

Only a couple kids in my kids school, one teacher and one admin. The teacher and admin both popped last week.

633.9508 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 pm

Jugg’s “stat” is an anecdote from one elementary school.

My wife’s school already has a student in ICU from Covid which they believe he got from playing in a school soccer game.

Also you have this actual stat.

Teacher here are expected to get vaccines in the next month. What’s another month after a year?
9508 (Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn/Fuck auburn)

634.evil gator » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:42 pm

5000% of how many though? the starting point is a very low number, then a huge increase isn't as dire. So typically problematic when reporting on science or medicine.

0.3 per 100,000 children at the beginning to 15.5 per 100,000 at the end,

that's important but reporters love the headlines to be some gee whiz number rather than the actual number involved, which is 15 per 100k

635.9508 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:49 pm

It’s no “my kid’s school had 1 case” but even if it were a single case to start, it’s now 50.

So a 50 for 1 rise since opening schools.

The big problem we still face, is lack of testing and tracing continues to hamper efforts to understand the full impact and function of the disease which prevents informed decisions.

It’s the gift that keeps on giving.

636.evil gator » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 pm

It’s no “my kid’s school had 1 case” but even if it were a single case to start, it’s now 50.

So a 50 for 1 rise since opening schools.

The big problem we still face, is lack of testing and tracing continues to hamper efforts to understand the full impact and function of the disease which prevents informed decisions.

It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
agree the lack of tracing is a big deal. they are checking the poo at colleges to check ffs.

it seems like where tracing is available that kids may be getting it elsewhere.

The problem with shut downs is that most of us, esp the young are social. Cutting that out logically leads to getting that human interaction in a less controlled environment. Not to mention the resources that the more wealthy have vs. the poorer. Falling behind will have such big consequences. the fact that many other countries are figuring schools out and the US has so many shut is troubling. My sister in law teaches in Germany and has posted pics of her and all the little kids wearing their little masks.

637.9508 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:00 pm

Germany has also done a better job in general especially on tracing and testing which makes opening up safer. Also, I’d be curious to see the PPE roll out in Germany. The only change I’ve seen at my wife’s school is the addition of hand sanitizer stations.

She received her PPE allotment which was 3 disposable masks and what appeared to be an overhead sheet (clear plastic) stapled to a sweatband for your head. I guess that’s a face shield of sorts.

I got her some safety glasses (they will be useful anyway as she teaches Chem) and a bunch of better masks.

I’m also curious to see what the school enforcement will be when kids refuse to wear masks.

This area is a big mix of politics so there are plenty of anti maskers around.

638.52:20 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:01 pm

There have been 227 hospitalizations involving zero to 14-year-olds since March 2020, according to the Utah Department of Health. An additional 836 individuals between the ages of 15 and 24 have also been hospitalized — although it isn't clear how many of those were 19 or younger.https://www.ksl.com/article/50087223/st ... nth-period
Last edited by 52:20 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

639.9508 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:05 pm

My biggest concern is another mutation that affects the lethality. We’ve already seen one that increased infectiousness and we are fortunate that it didn’t seem to impact lethality.

It may not happen, I hope it doesn’t. We get more people vaccines and it lowers the chances of it happening. That’s why speed matters. In the mean time I’d love to reduce the number of infections anyway we can to reduce the number of disease factories that can produce a new mutation.

640.evil gator » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:09 pm

Yeah that’s ridiculous 95, teachers should get better Ppe than that.

While getting kids to wear masks and social distance I’d imagine had challenges, at least school is a place where kids are used to be somewhat orderly and following rules so school seems the best place for most of them with exceptions obviously

641.Fishon » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:51 pm

Here in Metairie, Jefferson Parish started the year with an option to be fully virtual or hybrid (in school 2 days, virtual 3 days) in my son's school (a 6-12 magnet school) and fully virtual or fully in-person for K-5. When the state moved to phase 2, the hybrid students were able to attend in person 5 days/week at my son's school, but only grades 6-8. We get notifications almost weekly that a student has tested positive, but they were not in close contact with our child. He did have to quarantine around thanksgiving due to a kid testing positive that sits near him. My son tested negative and never had symptoms. He was even able to participate in team sports (coach for basketball was pretty anti-mask. some of the shit he posted in the group text with parents could've probably got him in trouble :lol: ).

I know my daughter, who's in 4th grade has had both of her teachers quarantine at different times this year (in both cases they were asymptomatic and taught from their homes). Her gifted teacher (hey, it's Thursday) has been teaching virtually from her home all year. I don't know if teachers had that option or what.

I had a client that was a reading teacher in the next parish over that was told over the summer that she had to teach a virtual-only class IN ADDITION to being the reading resource teacher. I honestly don't know how some of these teachers are managing all this. It's insane the shit they deal with and I really hope the folks that have been dumping on teachers see what a lot of these people are doing for our kids (and yes, there are probably some really shitty ones out there that don't care, that just hasn't been our experience here).

User avatar 642.MoralityULack » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:32 pm

There was no reserve for second doses. It was bullshit all along.
Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it

User avatar 643.RIP » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:09 pm

well that sucks
RIP (xe/xem/xyr)

644.52:20 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:26 pm

There was no reserve for second doses. It was bullshit all along.
Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it
Not that I don't believe it, but link please

645.9508 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:44 pm

646.Juggs » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:45 pm

Has it been noted that HG has covid?

647.evil gator » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:11 pm

What? Is he okay?

648.Juggs » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:26 pm

What? Is he okay?
Yeah. Day 16 I think he said. Medium fever, bad coughing, but overall ok and looks to be near the end of it.

649.L-Boy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:48 pm

Did he catch it at the Capitol building insurrection?

User avatar 650.Irish Mike » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:50 pm

Did he catch it at the Capitol building insurrection?
From his basement bar.
Sort by

« Sports, Entertainment, and Everything Else